Comments on the Revelation II dedicated chess computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
sje

Post by sje »

Wardy wrote:Personally I'd love a slick box looking like the old Tasc R30 control/cpu unit that I could plug into my stand alone DGT board to turn that into a dedicated of sorts. DGT must have evaluated something similar as a business plan surely? Maybe it's too niche?
The approach taken by DGT with its boards was to provide a solution for live broadcast of high level competitions. All else was secondary.

But this is changing as people like me start to provide control/display boxes which are dedicated chess computers in all but name. That RaspPi/DGT clock video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP_LpxUORVg by Jonas Žnidaršič is just a start: a chess machine without a general purpose computer.
Mars

Post by Mars »

Steve B wrote: Martin?
wow ..long time no type
3 years since your last post
and 3 children in between!
you have certainly been very active
:P

Good to see you Regards
Steve
Trust me, that was not the only activity... :oops: Was around from time to time here, just reading. Btw - some time ago you told me to get a bigger house... well, wife (you met her) didn't want to fill it with further dedicated chess computers only. Maybe this explains things a bit better...

On the other hand Ruud's machines are special and the very well crafted pieces are sort of... umm... is sensual... the right word? Well anyway, kids are now learning chess and my argument now is: they should also learn that this is not just another computer game...
Mythbuster

Post by Mythbuster »

Hi guys,
just for information. Here are some screenshots: http://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/49421-post229.html

The Emulation choice screen is not actual anymore because of two small new easter eggs ... :D

In my opinion the best new feature is the Speed bar ... now you can adjust the speed of the Emulation like you want: 68.000, 68.020 or even TM speed? No problem ... if you want, you can play against a machine up to a TM 66 MHz!

If you have questions, just let me know ... because from now on I have the permission to talk about the little gem in my livingroom ...

Best Regards,
Sascha
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Thanks Sascha
Looks Great!

actually the new DGT E-Board function turns this into a DGT board with a display built in!

Super DGT Regards
Steve
paulhuk

Post by paulhuk »

Thanks Sasha, that looks wonderful to me. The Revelation II just seems to get better and better in terms of functions etc. The speed bar is brilliant. Incidentally, can you hook up a PC in another room, sync it with the Rev II, set the chess engine on the PC and then retire to the board and play in peace? I assume bluetooth will allow a good distance between PC and the Rev? Not that you would necessarily need to do so with all those available engines :shock: Cant wait to receive this baby.

Overexcited Regards,

Paul
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Speed bar is a work of genius!

I'm getting happier and happier that I made the decision to bite the bullet.
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Hi Sascha,

How does the Rev II handle opening books for native engines and emulations?

Kind regards

Paul
sje

Post by sje »

Steve B wrote:actually the new DGT E-Board function turns this into a DGT board with a display built in!
I'm not sure I see the value of this if the Revelation II doesn't have some kind of connectivity to a PC.
xchessg

Post by xchessg »

Wardy wrote:Hi Sascha,

Kind regards

Paul
Hi,

Emulations and natives are two separate modi in Revelation I&II. It's not like you can run an London emu with the Hiarcs book or something of that kind.

So, Emulations come with their original books. Natives come with their enginebooks, plus there are optional extra books (three) that can be switched on for the natives.

Hope this helps

Xavier
xchessg

Post by xchessg »

sje wrote: I'm not sure I see the value of this if the Revelation II doesn't have some kind of connectivity to a PC.
Hi,

Well of course it has PC connectivity via Bluetooth. Under DGT transparent mode one can play with commercial engines under the Fritz/Chessbase GUI for instance. You can even go on the internet Chessbase server just as you can with any DGT board.

Xavier
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Wardy wrote:Hi Sascha,

Kind regards

Paul
Sascha will know better for the Rev II but in the Rev I all emulations used their own built in books
the onboard engines also used thier own books
the owner could also force the engines to use the Noomen books of which there were three:

i would imagine this will stay the same

If It Aint Broke..Dont Fix It Regards
Steve
sje

Feature additions for the Revelation III

Post by sje »

Feature additions for the Revelation III

1. Optional voice output.

2. Optional sound effects output.

3. Checkers.

4. Fischer Random 960 start position generation.

5. WiFi.

6. Color LCD touch screen instead of green display and six button interface.

7. Scripts for connecting to the major Internet Chess Servers.

8. A script to contact DGT for firmware updates.

9. Engine independent game library management for correspondence play.

10. Book explorer program for opening repertoire preparation.

11. Clear plastic cover to keep dust and cats away.

12. Support for externally resident tablebase files.

13. A script to connect to any other Rev III board on the net for play or data exchange.

14. A script to connect to a networked printer to generate a page for the current game.

15. Detachable control/display box.
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Next questions, does the display have an off switch or different levels of illumination perhaps?

What are the dimensions of the playing area and square size? How tall is the king?

Do any of the native engines have any kind of EGTB built in?

Will it be supplied with country specific power adapters? I do I need to use a euro/UK adapter.

And finally, though Steve B might want to expel me....... is there the potential to overclock? My old Dell Axiom is thermally pants but still overclocks significantly and it is all done in software. I've seen odd reports of the the chipset in the RevII running at 1Ghz plus, though I'm not sure what the thermal solutions were like with these. Just thinking of a stopgap before any future processor upgrade :-)
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Wardy wrote:Next questions, does the display have an off switch or different levels of illumination perhaps?

What are the dimensions of the playing area and square size? How tall is the king?

Do any of the native engines have any kind of EGTB built in?

Will it be supplied with country specific power adapters? I do I need to use a euro/UK adapter.

And finally, though Steve B might want to expel me....... is there the potential to overclock? My old Dell Axiom is thermally pants but still overclocks significantly and it is all done in software. I've seen odd reports of the the chipset in the RevII running at 1Ghz plus, though I'm not sure what the thermal solutions were like with these. Just thinking of a stopgap before any future processor upgrade :-)
Well i can only answer for the Rev I but i imagine these replies will be the same for the Rev II

Board Size -60x58cm
King Size-never measured it exactly..around 2.5 inches
NO EGTB
you will need a UK adaptor
overclocking- :shock: geez i hope it cant be overclocked
i think you have been hanging around with SJE too much
:P
You will be able to use UCI engines though
Alain Zanchetta wrote a special utility which allows you to load in UCI engines
in fact..
you can have special builds of an engine used for the Rev
i have a special build of Telepath (by Charles Roberson) ..works pretty good

Symbolic Regards
Steve
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Someone is bound to try and overclock? Mod guy maybe?!!!

Uci engines on the Rev? You can utilise any uci engine compiled for windows?