Comments on the Revelation II dedicated chess computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
sje

Post by sje »

With a large capacity SD card, instead of just audio recordings there could be video recordings of move announcements which could be replayed via the LCD touching screen and a speaker.
sje

Auto match option

Post by sje »

Perhaps this has been suggested before, but I haven't seen it.

Idea: Add an auto play/auto match option where the user can select two different emulated programs and have the Revelation II run a match between the two. The match can have an arbitrary number of games with the count set by the user and played with alternating colors. The play would be decoupled from the board so that the user would not have to move any pieces.

Idea: Expand the above idea to have an entire round robin tournament with all the emulated programs as players.
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Mysticum has something like this. Deacouples the the board and can perform the BT-tests 2450 and 2630 of any UCI engine you just have to sit and wait the results.

Automatic regards
Ricardo
chesspcmac

questions

Post by chesspcmac »

Hi guys, cant wait to get my REV II. Few quuestions and request if possible
1. any pictures of the bag that carries the REV II?
2. ANY Videos?
3. Whats the function of the chessboard on the LCD screen? Only to show you the current position of pieces? or It also helps you "remember" the position while you move the pieces in some variations. Does the position of the pieces changes in the green chessboard as the "real" pieces are move over the board. ?
4. can you dim the brightness of the LCD display? can you turn the LCD screen OFF?
5. If you bet the computer , does it do anything funny with its lights?

Can't wait
Thanks for any answers

Chesspcmac
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: questions

Post by Steve B »

chesspcmac wrote:Hi guys, cant wait to get my REV II. Few quuestions and request if possible
1. any pictures of the bag that carries the REV II?
2. ANY Videos?
3. Whats the function of the chessboard on the LCD screen? Only to show you the current position of pieces? or It also helps you "remember" the position while you move the pieces in some variations. Does the position of the pieces changes in the green chessboard as the "real" pieces are move over the board. ?
4. can you dim the brightness of the LCD display? can you turn the LCD screen OFF?
5. If you bet the computer , does it do anything funny with its lights?

Can't wait
Thanks for any answers
Chesspcmac
Well I can answer a few of the questions..

Photo of Carrycase:

the LCD board screen works much like the Tasc dedicated computers
it depicts the current position on the board and will change as pieces on the board change their positions
for the Rev I..(I imagine these answers will hold for the Rev II as well)
the display can be switched to several different screens..such as ..move list..current move under consideration and evaluation..etc..etc
the brightness could not be adjusted

Shipping AnyTime Now Regards
Steve
sje

Post by sje »

I see that the pieces have little round paper stickers of differing colors on some of the bases. Mine had these, too. Is there any significance to the sticker color code?
paulhuk

Post by paulhuk »

Hi Steve,

Great photo. How on earth do you get such inside info? You've not got yours already have you, you sneaky man?

Amazed and Puzzled Regards,

Paul
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

paulhuk wrote:Hi Steve,

Great photo. How on earth do you get such inside info? You've not got yours already have you, you sneaky man?

Amazed and Puzzled Regards,

Paul
Hi Paul
no..dont have mine yet
i asked Ruud for a photo of the carrybag some months ago
other then that...i have the same info as everyone else

Just A regular Joe Regards
Steve
sje

Post by sje »

Don't be fooled, Steve posts all those pretty pictures just for the purpose of making people jealous of his collection.

And I'm not jealous. Nope, not me. I'm not jealous at all. Really. Honestly, not one bit. It won't work on me, looking at all of that gorgeous hardware. The grapes must be sour. :x
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

sje wrote:Don't be fooled, Steve posts all those pretty pictures just for the purpose of making people jealous of his collection.

And I'm not jealous. Nope, not me. I'm not jealous at all. Really. Honestly, not one bit. It won't work on me, looking at all of that gorgeous hardware. The grapes must be sour. :x
:P
Well..going back to the days we shared a few posts on the CCC i never got the impression you were interested in owning more then a handful of dedicated Units Steve
having a large collection its nothing to be proud of..not an accomplishment at all..you just spend some money and in time ..you have a sizeable collection..

now writing a chess program
That Is Special

What is Symbolic's Rating Regards
Steve
sje

Post by sje »

Symbolic's ratings on ICC:

Code: Select all

rating [need] win  loss  draw total   best
Bullet          2454  [8]  1241   436    87  1764   2747 (22-Nov-2006) 
Blitz           2519  [8]  5065  3326   979  9370   2822 (14-Mar-2007) 
Standard        2483  [6]  5813  4269  1074 11156   2603 (21-Feb-2007)
Symbolic has been inactive on the chess servers for a year and a half. I hadn't done much work on the old version since 2009 and am currently doing a re-write. Hopefully, the new version will be ready sometime next year. There will be many differences in the new version including a multi-threaded and optionally distributed search. And the new version will connect to the DGT board just like the old version can connect to the Novag Citrine. Progress has been very slow due to medical issues keeping me away from the keyboard.

These same issues have gotten me more interested in dedicated chess computers and collecting chess sets. Although I'm now mostly stuck at home, I can still get a lot of interesting chess items by mail order with a budget of about US$500 per month for purchases. If I could go for eight months buying no other chess items, then I could get a Revelation II. But maybe the Revelation III might be out by then.
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

I suspect that owners of a Rev II will be able to get the same spec as any future Rev III. The obvious change would be for the processor to be swapped for something with multiple cores from the smartphone stables.The Rev II design does allow for such a complete architecture change............. I checked before putting myself down for a unit ;-)
Mars

Post by Mars »

Steve B wrote: no..dont have mine yet

Steve
But you probably will have serial no 1 again, right? :wink:

Pole Position regards,
Martin
sje

Market target

Post by sje »

I hope the Revelation II succeeds in the marketplace and does so to an extent that an even better Revelation III appears before too long.

More numerous than the limited number of deep pocket collectors is the population of strong (2000+ elo) club players who regularly compete in OTB (Over The Board) tournaments for cash prizes. Training with a Revelation II is about as close as one can get to real world OTB competition, even closer than with a DGT board using an attached computer.

Now if only we had an inexpensive robotic arm...
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Mars wrote:
Steve B wrote: no..dont have mine yet

Steve
But you probably will have serial no 1 again, right? :wink:

Pole Position regards,
Martin