Comments on the Revelation II dedicated chess computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
sje

Post by sje »

Steve B wrote:
sje wrote:Another way is to use four cameras mounted on poles on the corners of the board and have scene recognition software determine the position. This would work much the NASA's martian rovers use multiple cameras to avoid driving into pot holes.
This sounds interesting
keep us informed if you decide to go this route
Alas, a big problem with a four camera system is that it's too easy for a human to accidentally whack one of the camera mounting poles.

One solution is to suspend the camera rigging from the ceiling.

Another is to use only one or two cameras mounted near the end of a robotic arm; the arm moves to verify piece position.

And another is to use a single suspended camera with flat head pieces with UV patterns on the piece tops.

I have given all of this too much think time.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Wardy wrote:Thanks Steve :-)

I'm trying to convince the london chess shop to offer some kind of finance deal just so I can get a Revelation II, our first child has somewhat taken control of the finances!!

How many things does a baby need regards

Paul
Hi Paul
Congrats!
hopefully he/she will one day have the Worlds greatest Collection of dedicated chess computers(Unmodified of course)
i would much rather have the first child but the Rev II is a close second!
:P

Just received an order confirmation that the Rev II will be shipping in Dec-Jan
the lower your serial number the earlier you will receive it
the computer will ship with 7 initial on-board engines including Hiarcs 14
interestingly the Rev II will also include a new feature to enable it to preform like a normal DGT board (DGT E-Board technology)
basically this like having a run-o-the-mill DGT board included for free
a DGT board with 81 leds and piece recognition
i will call it the Super DGT
all Lang and Schröder emulations will also be included
a custom made Carrybag and set of pieces in the style chosen by the collector will round out the package

No.02 Regards
Steve
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Thanks Steve! Olivia is just awesome :-)

Sally came up with a cunning plan on the Rev II, means shifting a couple of timepieces I no longer wear so just waiting to hear back from Ruud on how to secure one with a full set of emulations and ebony pieces.

Given the extra functionality it looks like my dgt board will be gathering dust.....

Fingers crossed

Paul
sje

Post by sje »

Instead of buying a Revelation II, I'll make my own Revolution I. I'll use my DGT board, its DGT pieces, a cheap Android tablet, some connection circuitry, and some of my own chess software with voice I/O.

All the custom stuff will go in a separate wood box which will connect to the board with a coiled USB cable. On the front of the box, a label:

Revolution I
Serial number 000001
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Wardy wrote:Thanks Steve! Olivia is just awesome :-)

Sally came up with a cunning plan on the Rev II, means shifting a couple of timepieces I no longer wear so just waiting to hear back from Ruud on how to secure one with a full set of emulations and ebony pieces.

Given the extra functionality it looks like my dgt board will be gathering dust.....

Fingers crossed

Paul
Good Move On Sally's Part!
Who needs extra time pieces when the REV II has built in clocks to register the time for each move?

Yeah my DGT board and XL clock have been gathering dust for years
i think i used them twice
they were given to me as a gift by well meaning although misguided
family members

Super DGT Regards
Steve
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

You can start to see why I love her!

#64 is mine!

So excited :-)
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Wardy wrote:You can start to see why I love her!

#64 is mine!

So excited :-)
your a lucky man Paul
Sally and Olivia Rule!

I feel that way about my wife too
second wife that is..
she fully supports my interest in the hobby

the First wife did not care much for my hobby...

:wink: Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

I have one of those too..... ;-)

Sally has just mentioned that Xmas better be good this year!!

Perfume won't cut it regards

Paul
sje

Post by sje »

Wardy wrote:Sally has just mentioned that Xmas better be good this year!!

Ideas for gifts to give to a wife:

1. Power tools
2. Lawn mower
3. Iron and ironing board
4. Cleaning supplies
5. Bathroom scale
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

sje wrote:
Wardy wrote:Sally has just mentioned that Xmas better be good this year!!

Ideas for gifts to give to a wife:

1. Power tools
2. Lawn mower
3. Iron and ironing board
4. Cleaning supplies
5. Bathroom scale
6. Chess set!
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Harvey Williamson wrote: 6. Chess set!
Pure comedy genius!!!
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

sje wrote:
Steve B wrote:that "notebook" thingy you casually mentioned "En Passant"
totally disqualifies this as a possibility
Consider this:

1. I draw up plans for a spiffy wooden base for my DGT board. The base is about 10 cm high and its sides are flush with the board.

2. I hand these plans to a carpenter along with a couple of hundred dollars and say "Make it look really good."

3. While waiting for the base, I disassemble my notebook and replace its screen with a small, touch sensitive color display. I add a keypad with about a dozen keys, connected to a USB port on the notebook's main board. These will fit into a cut-out on the base.

4. I do some minor surgery on the DGT board so that its USB port is moved from the side of the board to tho bottom of the board.

5. I load the notebook with all the programs, emulators, and emulated programs I can find.

6. When the base is finished, I connect the notebook, display, keypad, and the cable to the board. I then glue it all together, add a plaque saying "Serial# 1", and I've now got the best dedicated chess computer in the world.

7. Sell it on Ebay for twice the cost of its parts.

8. Repeatedly repeat the above steps changing only the serial number.
Everything is possible, the trick is giving the user a seamless experience and having a polished final product. If sheer strength was the only issue then Phoenix wouldn't have shifted a single system, whereas the reality is different.

As chess players I believe that we have lost something in the race for elo, like many consumer items really where numbers are involved. Analysing my games with Deep Probe 3.141 with an elo of 4000 might get me closer to the truth of the position but what chance have I got of finding a 51 ply killer combination in 35 moves in 75 mins across the board from someone who's eaten too many cheese and onion crisps and has questionable personal hygiene?? :-)

For me it's better to use lower spec machines/software that are just above my own rating to analyse my games, that way I have a chance of understanding the rationale and potentially pulling something similar off in the future myself. This is what I plan to use the emulations in the Rev II for, alongside the engines wound back on elo.

Personally I'd love a slick box looking like the old Tasc R30 control/cpu unit that I could plug into my stand alone DGT board to turn that into a dedicated of sorts. DGT must have evaluated something similar as a business plan surely? Maybe it's too niche?
Mars

Post by Mars »

Hi, great stuff!

They'll be delivered in Dec/Jan. Hopefully I'll be able to unpack that beauty from Ruud before our 3rd child arrives (that milestone is set in the first week of Jan...). 8)

Regards,
Martin
paulhuk

Post by paulhuk »

I pre-ordered my Revelation II with the emulations and ebony pieces in January. After the Phoenix email I expect my board #38 to be delivered in January or beyond. Its all very exciting and such a treat to have access to those Lang/Schroeder 1980's and 90's programs as well as Hiarcs 14, Shredder 12, and the free version of the 'blackened' Rybka among others. There has also been talk of a future emulation of the King Tasc program which I would purchase in a heartbeat. In my opinion there is nothing like settling down to an ARB game playing across the board without all the DGT paraphernalia but with all the advantages.

A very excited roll on next year regards,

Paulhuk
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Mars wrote:Hi, great stuff!

They'll be delivered in Dec/Jan. Hopefully I'll be able to unpack that beauty from Ruud before our 3rd child arrives (that milestone is set in the first week of Jan...). 8)

Regards,
Martin
Martin?
wow ..long time no type
3 years since your last post
and 3 children in between!
you have certainly been very active

Good to see you Regards
Steve