Millenium new release of chess computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
mclane

Post by mclane »

They say at millennium headquarters that they test against Milano pro from mad Katz.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Theo

Post by Theo »

Maybe meanwhile it would be interesting to test ChessGenius for smartphones with Nicks (spacious_mind) tests to figure out if its closer related to Roma or London or ...
Carl Bicknell

Post by Carl Bicknell »

Steve B wrote:
Carl Bicknell wrote:Well I got a reply from Mr. Lang and it's pretty encouraging.

He said it's the same software as the iPhone Genius.

As I understand it this engine is a simplified version of Genius 3, missing some of the tactical extensions etc.

So at 48 MHz....even the Tasc R30 might be in danger.
So it seems this Lang Engine is different from any other ever released in a dedicated computer?
Its getting better all the time

The Beatles Send Their Regards
Steve
Yes. I rechecked my emails and the man himself said that Genius iPhone (=the software on the new computer) is a simpler version of the PC version of Genius and has fewer search extensions than the PC version.

So like-for-like it'll be weaker I think than the London 68030. However, it is running at 48 MHz which may turn the tables.

I've spent quite a bit of time comparing the PC Genius 3 (= London 68030 software) against the iPhone version (= new Millenium machine) and the biggest difference is in sharp positions.

In sharp positions the PC version found the tactics much faster. In quiet positions they selected the same moves. I took account of hardware speed differences etc.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

I ordered it directly from the Millennium site: http://www.millennium2000.de/chessgenius
That is the site I referred to in my answer to Fernando.

On my question they answered that delivery is expected first half of September.

Can't wait regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

paulwise3 wrote:I ordered it directly from the Millennium site: http://www.millennium2000.de/chessgenius
That is the site I referred to in my answer to Fernando.

On my question they answered that delivery is expected first half of September.

Can't wait regards,
Paul
A funny thing:
As the new comp is in fact old, so the Karpov photo is very old, more proper to appear in a cardbox of Millenium 1995 harvest than today.

I am just waiting the known classic, the photo with the fake family around the computer regards
Fern
Festina Lente
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

I'll wait for the wood version.

No Dummy Regards,
Dave
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

Fernando wrote:
paulwise3 wrote:I am just waiting the known classic, the photo with the fake family around the computer
Fake? :shock: I always thought they especially sought out the most genuine, wholesome chess adoring families they could find?
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

SirDave wrote:I'll wait for the wood version.

No Dummy Regards,
Dave
Which of course will be entitled...
The Millennium ChessGenius

Deluxe Regards
Steve
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:
Fernando wrote: I am just waiting the known classic, the photo with the fake family around the computer
Fake? :shock: I always thought they especially sought out the most genuine, wholesome chess adoring families they could find?
They Did. ..

A Typical Wholseome Family of the 1970's:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@N05/19607348220

The Typical Family Of Today:
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5 ... ormat=300w

Now You Know Why I Collect The Oldies..

The Good Ol Days Regards
Steve
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Steve B wrote:
Monsieur Plastique wrote:
Fernando wrote: I am just waiting the known classic, the photo with the fake family around the computer
They Did. ..

A Typical Wholseome Family of the 1970's:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@N05/19607348220

The Typical Family Of Today:
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5 ... ormat=300w

Now You Know Why I Collect The Oldies..

The Good Ol Days Regards
Steve
Check out Image Bruce Pandolfini with his ‘70s style fro!

Hairspray Regards,
John
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

I'm new to posting on this site but I've been reading posts for a long time. My collection started with an Elite A/S (currently a reed needs replacing), MGS. More recently Lyon 32, Dallas 12, Renaissance Brute Force, Mach III. The collection is quite small with about 30 units. Is there a good descriptive word for such a small group...maybe sub-collection, or trifling?

Recently I noticed this entry on a chess retailer's website in the US:

Chess Computers

Oh dear - not many here, are there? Over the last 10 years we've been selling chess computers - but one by one the manufacturers have stopped making them, despite some significant demand. Well - there is some news. ChessBaron are manufacturing a chess computer that is set to be world beating. We'll update this page with news as it comes - but we hope it will be by October 2015.

Small time greetings,
Dave C
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Dave C wrote:I'm new to posting on this site but I've been reading posts for a long time. My collection started with an Elite A/S (currently a reed needs replacing), MGS. More recently Lyon 32, Dallas 12, Renaissance Brute Force, Mach III. The collection is quite small with about 30 units. Is there a good descriptive word for such a small group...maybe sub-collection, or trifling?

Recently I noticed this entry on a chess retailer's website in the US:

Chess Computers

Oh dear - not many here, are there? Over the last 10 years we've been selling chess computers - but one by one the manufacturers have stopped making them, despite some significant demand. Well - there is some news. ChessBaron are manufacturing a chess computer that is set to be world beating. We'll update this page with news as it comes - but we hope it will be by October 2015.

Small time greetings,
Dave C
Dave, your 30 or so comps qualify you as a collector in force, with all the benefits, rules, rights and obligations that that involves, beginning with a forced inscription in the World Old Farts collecting chess Comp. assoc which respond only to the Elders as a ruling organ.
Only thing you still you have not done is sending me the quote of incorporation, just a computer or 500 bucks, whichever you prefer.

Fern, treasurer...
Festina Lente
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Talking of Retro computing http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02x9sns
mclane

Post by mclane »

I still have my working zx spectrum in the basement. There are emulators of all kind of home computers with games. Atari ST, CPC464, Commodore 64... All emulators running in Java for PC.
I don't really understand why we would need a hardware to do what any PC with Java can do via the Internet.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

mclane wrote:I still have my working zx spectrum in the basement. There are emulators of all kind of home computers with games. Atari ST, CPC464, Commodore 64... All emulators running in Java for PC.
I don't really understand why we would need a hardware to do what any PC with Java can do via the Internet.
As a member of this group, you should understand.
This hobby is not at all about playing chess with the strongest program available, but of possessing. caressing, loving and kissing a material thing that BTW play chess....

Fern
Festina Lente