Milenium Genius News???

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fluppio wrote:Hi Nick,

the SSDF ratings are 100 ELO above the Wiki ELO, so hopefully the Millenium Genius reaches more than 2000 ELO, but we'll see in autum or winter.

Wishful thinking regards
Peter
Hi Peter,

You are right of course. But lets wait and see. If you look at the results pdf for active and tournament and we hope and assume PS2 was used then the score was:

30 seconds per move Score MP 1.5 - MCG 0.5
3 minutes per move MP 1 - MCG 3

The games feel a little bit of hand picked to me. But lets assume everything is legit then per Info Active will be around 2100-2150 and Tournament probably also around the same.

Now that's best scenario assuming PS2 and that the production version is exactly the same as the Test version.

The other test games are really meaningless as they cannot be compared to lists that are being used today. Therefore they are just stocking fillers at Christmas for your kids.

Best regards
Last edited by spacious_mind on Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:What I will say about the strong Lang engines is that they are seamless in their play right from the very first move to the very last. You are not aware, for example, of any particularly irritating weaknesses as you may find, for example, with a Morsch dedicated machine once it reaches the endgame. And you don't find them making dubious positional decisions for the most part. In my experience the Lang programs tend to play like a strong human who adopts a solid and technically polished playing style - quite unlike a strong Morsch or Kittinger which can be very aggressive and loves to complicate things. The Lang machines / engines probably make the best opponents for strong tournament practice for this very reason, though the downside is that the games can appear to be a little dowdy and drawish at times.
That's not exactly correct at all. I have every single Mephisto Lang program that exists and most of the non Mephisto as well barring maybe one as well as every DOS and Windows version and I must have played over 2000 games with these computers over the years.

Let's just say that Lang's can be very frustrating as they get into positions where they begin moving aimlessly. Their saving grace is that a lot of their opponents at that time had similar problems.

Test game 4 is a perfect example of what I am talking about here. I have seen these situations arise time and time again in actual games. In these situations their performance drops to low club level. Lang's are not consistent in every aspect of the game. For that you really should look more closely at King & Schroeder and even Morsch.

Best regards
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

We are becoming a little bit exquisite with all these musings about how strong and/or what style of play we can expect.
We even can forget the essential: we will have available a new and pretty strong dedicated unit!!!!!
My mind goes to the future. Can we expect, if this genius is decently successful, new refurbished or reanimated models? Are we facing a New Gold Age of toys for sexagenarians as us?

Alzheimer regards
Fern
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote:We are becoming a little bit exquisite with all these musings about how strong and/or what style of play we can expect.
We even can forget the essential: we will have available a new and pretty strong dedicated unit!!!!!
My mind goes to the future. Can we expect, if this genius is decently successful, new refurbished or reanimated models? Are we facing a New Gold Age of toys for sexagenarians as us?

Alzheimer regards
Fern
Nope, I'll tell you why. There are maybe if you are very lucky 200 people running through the Forums that will buy it and be happy with it irrespective of strength because its something new hopefully and finally.

You have 8 Billion people on the planet that will not want to spend a $100 on a chess computer and if they do they will take it back and complain because they always lose to it. So the manufacturer cant win by just making us happy.

They will instead make it a computer that plays at maybe 1600 ELO or less so more of the 8 Billion people buy it and win and are happy assuming they buy one at a $100 that is all plastic and looks like a $10 computer :P

Manufacturers can't get rich on us few forum people unless us 200 people buy a $3000 computer which makes $600,000 regards
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

spacious_mind wrote:
Fernando wrote:We are becoming a little bit exquisite with all these musings about how strong and/or what style of play we can expect.

Alzheimer regards
Fern
Nope, I'll tell you why. There are maybe if you are very lucky 200 people running through the Forums that will buy it and be happy with it irrespective of strength because its something new hopefully and finally.

You have 8 Billion people on the planet that will not want to spend a $100 on a chess computer and if they do they will take it back and complain because they always lose to it. So the manufacturer cant win by just making us happy.

They will instead make it a computer that plays at maybe 1600 ELO or less so more of the 8 Billion people buy it and win and are happy assuming they buy one at a $100 that is all plastic and looks like a $10 computer :P

Manufacturers can't get rich on us few forum people unless us 200 people buy a $3000 computer which makes $600,000 regards

Man, I know all that. Even the number you mention, 200 guys, sounds like optimistic to me, but the future is a territory without maps and so we can dream a little about it.

Realistic but even so trying to dream regards
Fern
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote: Man, I know all that. Even the number you mention, 200 guys, sounds like optimistic to me, but the future is a territory without maps and so we can dream a little about it.

Fern
Ok a little bit more gloom for you. Out of all the Millenniums and Excalbur's and Novag that made the store like for example Toys R' US, Horten or Hertie in Germany or Makro in South America for example where a chess player bought a computer from these manufacturer's where it states 2100 ELO, 1900 ELO, 1800 ELO, 1700 ELO or even 1650 ELO. And they thought great this computer is approximately my playing strength and they brought it home and start playing with it and the computer plays 1000 ELO only instead. How many of these (not us forum people who are stupid enough lol) go back and buy another one? How many of these people also tell their chess friends this computer is piece of crap and I was lied to?

Even if they happen to like one, then maybe the LCD fails after one battery change and its in the trash can. Opening book that has no moves like Novag. Opening book that has just a few moves. Computer every time you start it plays e4 or d4. Anything else out of book. End game is really stupid.... etc etc What serious chess player would buy a second one even if it cost only $20?

The dedicated chess computers sold in the New Millennium have done more damage than can ever be repaired because of this as it is unlikely that any serious player that has bought one of the above in the last 15 years would go and buy another one.

So what's left? Mother going Christmas shopping and picking up a computer from Kid's R'US for their son as an extra Christmas present for maybe $19.99 or $29.99. Kid just looks at it, plays around, bites the pieces in half and by next year the computer is in the garage or the trash can.

How about that as a picture of reality to spoil your dreams Fernando :P
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

spacious_mind wrote:
Fernando wrote: Man, I know all that. Even the number you mention, 200 guys, sounds like optimistic to me, but the future is a territory without maps and so we can dream a little about it.

Fern
Ok a little bit more gloom for you. Out of all the Millenniums and Excalbur's and Novag that made the store like for example Toys R' US, Horten or Hertie in Germany or Makro in South America for example where a chess player bought a computer from these manufacturer's where it states 2100 ELO, 1900 ELO, 1800 ELO, 1700 ELO or even 1650 ELO. And they thought great this computer is approximately my playing strength and they brought it home and start playing with it and the computer plays 1000 ELO only instead. How many of these (not us forum people who are stupid enough lol) go back and buy another one? How many of these people also tell their chess friends this computer is piece of crap and I was lied to?

Even if they happen to like one, then maybe the LCD fails after one battery change and its in the trash can. Opening book that has no moves like Novag. Opening book that has just a few moves. Computer every time you start it plays e4 or d4. Anything else out of book. End game is really stupid.... etc etc What serious chess player would buy a second one even if it cost only $20?

The dedicated chess computers sold in the New Millennium have done more damage than can ever be repaired because of this as it is unlikely that any serious player that has bought one of the above in the last 15 years would go and buy another one.

So what's left? Mother going Christmas shopping and picking up a computer from Kid's R'US for their son as an extra Christmas present for maybe $19.99 or $29.99. Kid just looks at it, plays around, bites the pieces in half and by next year the computer is in the garage or the trash can.

How about that as a picture of reality to spoil your dreams Fernando :P
Your are NOT going to make me sad with those old witch stories. I am not going to cry with your whispers about the sleeping beauty that resulted to be a nasty old widow.
My optimism in unshakable.

Loading my CZ 9 mm regards
Fern
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote:
Your are NOT going to make me sad with those old witch stories. I am not going to cry with your whispers about the sleeping beauty that resulted to be a nasty old widow.
My optimism in unshakable.

Loading my CZ 9 mm regards
Fern
LOL..I know tomorrow is always a better day! :twisted:
Nick
Brian B

Post by Brian B »

I think the market for this new dedicated computer isn't the serious dedicated chess player. It is the spouse of the serious chess player. At the 99 Euro price point, it is an excellent gift idea. It is a relatively inexpensive gift, but not cheap, it is quiet, and keeps the man at home. Spouses will buy this thing up during the holiday season. Beats the hell out of buying some chess software package.

Gift giving regards,
Brian B
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Brian B wrote:I think the market for this new dedicated computer isn't the serious dedicated chess player. It is the spouse of the serious chess player. At the 99 Euro price point, it is an excellent gift idea. It is a relatively inexpensive gift, but not cheap, it is quiet, and keeps the man at home. Spouses will buy this thing up during the holiday season. Beats the hell out of buying some chess software package.

Gift giving regards,
Brian B
It's a good point. Now I wonder what I can give to my wife to get her OUT of the house...

Fern
Festina Lente
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

BTW, I think I already decided to get two of those machines.

You never knows regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

I just received an email from Millennium 2000 GmbH, concerning the availability of the new chess computer in the USA.

The email states that the new chess computer will be available in the US through Classic Chess & Games (www.classicchessandgames.com). They will be ordering the products from Millennium once available. Sales are expected to begin around October 1, as they currently are waiting for production to finish.
The email states that purchasing through Classic Chess & Games will probably be the cheapest and best way to buy one in the USA because of less costly shipping.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Brian B wrote:I think the market for this new dedicated computer isn't the serious dedicated chess player. It is the spouse of the serious chess player. At the 99 Euro price point, it is an excellent gift idea. It is a relatively inexpensive gift, but not cheap, it is quiet, and keeps the man at home. Spouses will buy this thing up during the holiday season. Beats the hell out of buying some chess software package.

Gift giving regards,
Brian B
:P

See the thing is...the release of this computer with a strong Lang engine is just a win-win situation

if it sells well..then perhaps other classic dedicated engine authors might be approached to awake from their self induced ..Rip Van Winkle like ..slumber ...and jump on board..making for a revival of the oldies in an affordable board
Schroeder is still active and maybe even de Koning and others
also ..who knows ..perhaps ..just perhaps..we could see Hiarcs in a traditional classic dedicated chess computer with a price affordable for the unwashed masses

if it dosent sell well ..then the whole idea will be scrapped
and we will be watching history in the making
the birth of a Future Ultra Rare Chess Computer
a 100 or so units will be out there.....which some of us here will own..and slowly over time the computer will be considered Ultra Rare..with a limited production run.. and it will sell on Ebay for Mega Bucks

No Lose Situation Regards
Steve
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Dave C wrote:I just received an email from Millennium 2000 GmbH, concerning the availability of the new chess computer in the USA.

The email states that the new chess computer will be available in the US through Classic Chess & Games (www.classicchessandgames.com). They will be ordering the products from Millennium once available. Sales are expected to begin around October 1, as they currently are waiting for production to finish.
The email states that purchasing through Classic Chess & Games will probably be the cheapest and best way to buy one in the USA because of less costly shipping.
Not My favorite supplier but one dosent get picky when it comes to something new like this

perhaps we should hold a contest...
first US member here to post a full game played by the MG ....

Wins Regards
Steve
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

spacious_mind wrote:Let's just say that Lang's can be very frustrating as they get into positions where they begin moving aimlessly. Their saving grace is that a lot of their opponents at that time had similar problems.
But Nick, I'm talking about chess play here at around the level of an amateur expert - say the very high 1900s to around 2100 per the FIDE rating scale. You are talking, however, as if I am using a FIDE Master paradigm to describe a Lang program. I'm not - a FIDE master is a lot stronger than any Lang program in any dedicated machine.

Strong amateur players around the 2000 mark are obviously very good, however the fundamental reason they are not FIDE Masters is because they make more weak and unjustified moves more of the time than a true master does. They also make more blunders more of the time. In terms of their "best" chess, many players around the 2000 mark will play like an IM on a really good day - that is where they play their "best" game and without any of the weaker moves and blunders. The occasionally stupid and dumb moves (whether it be a tactical blunder, a dubious long-term strategic decision or weak positional move) is exactly why these players are rated at 2000 instead of 200 points higher. So I don't really think it is fair to say a Lang machine is completely unlike them even if the Lang machines make stupid moves themselves as well - they are merely in commensurate company with similarly-string humans in terms of their chess playing ability.

As I did actually go onto say in my original post that you quoted, sometimes the games of the strong Langs can get indeed quite dowdy and drawish which is effectively the same (or I meant it to mean the same) as the criticisms that you have levelled at them. However it takes two to tango. I myself saw this behaviour too in the test games I have been playing using my Genius phone at 3 seconds per move (about the same computational speed as the new Millennium at tournament level) - there was some pointless queen meandering in the test game for example that reminded me of machines from beginning of the 1980s. I even managed myself to draw against the Lang Genius program running at around 2500 ELO just out of the opening precisely because this dubious stubbornness that can result in weak moves. I actually think a lot of the reason for the strange moves we do see in the Lang programs is because of the positional evaluations they use coupled with an overly cautious contempt factor - the programs will occasionally rather make a silly looking move that does not improve it's position than perhaps make another move that might possibly be valued slightly lower but down the track proves to be better and would result in a much more coherent looking game.

That said, all programs that have ever made their way into a dedicated machine have had shortcomings in one or more respects. I'm not yet aware of any dedicated machine that you could put in front of me and I wouldn't be able to point out dubious, annoying and even unfathomable behaviour at least some of the time.

Nevertheless, you are of course entitled to your opinion but my point stands as I made it - all things considered these Lang programs in my experience emulate better than most - more often than not - the "feeling" of playing a human being who is around the high 1900s to around the 2100 level. Meaning it emulates better than other programs the inherent strengths and weaknesses of player at that standard. The strong Kittinger, Morsch and Shroeder programs are of course a lot of fun and a great challenge to play against but quite honestly I don't really know of any humans at a corresponding ELO level who play even remotely the way they do. Their play is more akin to a much stronger player than their actual rating playing a (very) rapid game - at least in terms of everything bar outright tactical ability.[/i][/u][/i]

If I were preparing to play in an under 2000 tournament, of all the machines I could choose to train against, it would be a 32 bit Lang machine with hash tables. That would give me the very best match practice and would hone my strengths in order to successfully compete against the human players I would come up against.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.