Philidor/Parker Chess for PC (1983)

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Philidor/Parker Chess for PC (1983)

Post by Fernando »

I do not understand fully what you ask from me or what you believe I am doing. I do no pretend to sell nothing, just to help a guy here with something that you yourself give -thanks for that!-, so no damage to anyone, BUT if for some reason that disturbs you, I will NOT send anything to this pal and as he will read your post he will surely go to your website to get the stuff.
Truly yours
Fern
Festina Lente
fhub

Post by fhub »

Fernando wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:30 pm I do not understand fully what you ask from me or what you believe I am doing. I do no pretend to sell nothing, just to help a guy here with something that you yourself give -thanks for that!-, so no damage to anyone, BUT if for some reason that disturbs you, I will NOT send anything to this pal and as he will read your post he will surely go to your website to get the stuff.
Truly yours
Fern
Read a bit more carefully: "It's not permitted to sell or distribute any program files ..."
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Ok, OK, I missed the essential word "distribute". I told Claudio to go to your page.
Fern
Festina Lente
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

claudio wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:27 pm Hi Fernando,

Thank you pretty much! I've sent you a pm.

Saludos brasileños!
Go to https://fhub.jimdofree.com/

As you can see in the post following this, I cannot send you the stuff directly

Chilean salutes
Fern
Festina Lente
claudio

Post by claudio »

Hi Fernando,

It all worked out in the end. Philidor B1420 installed and playing a really very interesting chess.

Thank you all!
lstlaure

Post by lstlaure »

Hi guys! I'm coming back to this discussion 3 years later to share a little feature I just discovered about Philidor that might change your evaluation of its actual playing strength...
If you are playing it in "Tournament" mode (command F5 under Menu 1), you will notice that the program cuts 8 seconds of its own thinking time after each move! This amounts to 8 minutes after 60 moves! Quite a lot... This was most likely done to allow 8 seconds for a human operator to enter the commands and play the move in OTB tournaments against other chess playing computers. Nowadays, if you play Philidor against other programs that don't have such a feature, the Philidor settings must be adjusted to get a fair match. Example: for an actual 60 moves in 30 minutes game (30 seconds/move average), the Philidor tournament level would simply have to be set to 60 moves in 38 minutes (to give back to the program 8 seconds per move). Maybe this will make a difference, maybe not. I didn't try...
Have fun!
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

Hi Istlaure; interesting insight, thanks!
AndyFox

Re:

Post by AndyFox »

lstlaure wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:09 pm For those interested, here is a link to download Philidor...

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/gvcubgoatu0ov/
Greetings!
Thanks for the rarity.
Is it still possible to download the Philidor program?
:roll:
gordonr

Re: Re:

Post by gordonr »

AndyFox wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:28 pm Is it still possible to download the Philidor program?
I use the copy from Franz Huber's great site: https://fhub.jimdofree.com and using the link "Chess-DOS-VirtualMachine". Download the whole collection and not just the top 10
mclane

Post by mclane »

Its david Broughtons legacy. He was a brilliant programmer as it looks.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....