How to install custom pieces?

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

bcalmac

How to install custom pieces?

Post by bcalmac »

I saw this screenshot on the chess.com forums that shows a piece set not available in the app: https://www.chess.com/blog/HanSchut/fin ... t-67717543.

Is it possible to add custom piece sets? How? I'm particularly interested in the pieces from the image (the default lichess pieces).
schadfield

Re: How to install custom pieces?

Post by schadfield »

It is a question of having the correct files in the correct places :-)

Download Lichess.png from here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhfLAkrQNW7u-22nEKYOcOcoP6V7.

Copy it to the Hiarcs installation directory in ./themes, ./themes/outline and ./themes/shadow.

You can now select Lichess as a piece set.
schadfield

Post by schadfield »

I have added a couple of more piece sets: Maestro and Cardinal.
bcalmac

Post by bcalmac »

Awesome, thank you!
Kliver

Post by Kliver »

schadfield wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:49 am It is a question of having the correct files in the correct places :-)

Download Lichess.png from here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhfLAkrQNW7u-22nEKYOcOcoP6V7.

Copy it to the Hiarcs installation directory in ./themes, ./themes/outline and ./themes/shadow.

You can now select Lichess as a piece set.
Wonderful, thank you very much!
schadfield

Post by schadfield »

No problem 8)

You can convert a piece set in about 20 minutes with a copy of the GIMP and a steady hand.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

schadfield wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:39 pm No problem 8)

You can convert a piece set in about 20 minutes with a copy of the GIMP and a steady hand.
We will make it easier in the future, but this is not a top priority.
ChessPoet

Post by ChessPoet »

Thanx to the creator, Lichess are nice ones, I'll prefer these to all the others. maybe should be the default.
BUT I also really think that Chess.com's Neo set is the nicest I have ever come across! the default green board too.
EloDeficit

Post by EloDeficit »

Below is a link to all of the current Lichess pieces (including outline and shadow variants). The pieces shown in the image above are the CBurnett pieces.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189948316 ... 374484377/
Kliver

Post by Kliver »

EloDeficit wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:28 pm Below is a link to all of the current Lichess pieces (including outline and shadow variants). The pieces shown in the image above are the CBurnett pieces.
Great! Thank you very much!!!
Pawn123

Post by Pawn123 »

EloDeficit wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:28 pm Below is a link to all of the current Lichess pieces (including outline and shadow variants). The pieces shown in the image above are the CBurnett pieces.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189948316 ... 374484377/
Thank you for making these available!
e4-homie

Post by e4-homie »

schadfield wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:39 pm No problem 8)

Is anyone able to provide a summary overview on how to do this? I would like to create a PNG of the pieces shown in this image: https://www.cartridgepeople.com/info/bl ... -chess-set. If successful, I will upload the PNG so others can download it too. Thanks!
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

Hi,
check the data/themes directory where the sets .png files are located: the usual format is 1800 x 600 pixels, thus a 300 x 300 pixels slot for each piece (6 pieces x 2 colors).

You need an image editor that lets you create a new empty 1800 x 600 pixels .png file.

You also need a pdf viewer that lets you scale out the display of the document (you need to download it from the link you provided), in order to display the pieces large enough to avoid any definition loss in the next capture operations.

Either your pdf viewer lets you capture an area from the displayed document, or your image editor lets you capture an area from the screen, or use a screenshot captor tool to do so, step by step = piece image by piece image. The resulting captured image of each piece should fit inside a 300 x 300 pixels area, with relevant margins, in order to feed the 1800 x 600 pixels target .png file. Copy and paste each piece image in your new .png file; take care to compare and adjust the pieces size and locations with the ones of an existing set .png file.

Once all 12 pieces images have been pasted and adjusted (assuming a few trials and errors), save your .png file in the relevant directory and you should be able to use it.

Hope this helps,
Tibono
e4-homie

Post by e4-homie »

Hey, Tibono2! Thank you for providing these instructions! I will work on this tomorrow.
EST

Post by EST »

Hello, I need pieces to improve my visualization skills. I was thinking of pieces that all have the same shape and another set with the same shape and color. Is there something already there? Thanks a lot.