Version 1.2

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

KLc

Re: Version 1.2

Post by KLc »

KLc wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:51 pm
DanielAlejandro wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:53 am When I increased the size of my system font to the maximum possible size on Windows, a lot of the text gets cut off.

Will this issue (under Windows) be fixed? For me HCE Pro is almost unusable under Windows: the game notation font is fine but the game list font (and others) are too large as in the picture and some others (like tab titles) are way too small. I'm using a Surface, haven't changed any system seetings.
Oh, after updating and restarting Windows, it's okay again! (Windows 11).
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

So, is everything working correctly on Surface now?
KLc

Post by KLc »

mrudolf wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:15 am So, is everything working correctly on Surface now?
Yes, update and restart resolved it. Never had that before...
CrossCheckKing

Post by CrossCheckKing »

xyzzy01 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:52 pm Would it be possible to separate the eboard support into a separate library, which can be updated/released independently of the main program?

Users have different interests - for me, the HCE and features therein, available databases, and the best possible Mac support is important. I don't care at all about eboards. The other side of that coin is that I guess most of the eboard users are very concerned about the eboard support, and have no need for a Mac release.
My guess is that they are using waterfall instead of agile, and the board support probably took the longest to develop out of the backlog items they selected. I would think the only way the eboard support could be updated/released independently of the main program would be if they had a specific team just in charge of the eboard support since they would still be limited by their finite development resources on what they could work on for the next release. I'm sure once the initial eboard support is added, eboard updates will take up little time and won't hold up future releases.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

CrossCheckKing wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:32 pm My guess is that they are using waterfall instead of agile, and the board support probably took the longest to develop out of the backlog items they selected. I would think the only way the eboard support could be updated/released independently of the main program would be if they had a specific team just in charge of the eboard support since they would still be limited by their finite development resources on what they could work on for the next release. I'm sure once the initial eboard support is added, eboard updates will take up little time and won't hold up future releases.
As I explained before in the forum, it was a sequence of unintended consequences: adding e-board support required us to update Qt on Windows and this caused a lot of hard problems related to various Windows features, like scaling.

Our plan for the future is to use smaller updates and to prioritise more aggressively.
Pachnes

Post by Pachnes »

Hi,

will Hiarcs Chess Explorer support 7-piece Syzygy tablebases?

Regards,
Pachnes
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

It already does. However the Hiarcs engine does not yet. You can run engines that do with no problems.
MagnusThaSlayer

Post by MagnusThaSlayer »

mrudolf wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:37 am Soon, assuming no showstoppers are found in the beta.

And, have you found showstoppers?
MagnusThaSlayer

MagnusThaSlayer wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:27 pm End of June would be my guess.
It seems I was too optmistic… :?
jldchess

Post by jldchess »

MagnusThaSlayer wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:25 am

It seems I was too optmistic… :?
Windows doesn't make optimistic…
:wink:
but chess yes !

Regards
Jean-Louis
Steppenwolf

Post by Steppenwolf »

And is there now a new release date behind the horizon? :D
EloDeficit

Post by EloDeficit »

mrudolf wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:55 pm We will decide on final feature list in September. The predicted release time is October, but it is not final yet.
Well, he said October, but did not say the year, so it could be 2023, 2024, ..., 8965.
SchuBi

Post by SchuBi »

Wenn Null besonders groß ist, ist es beinahe so groß wie ein bißchen Eins.
SchuBi

Post by SchuBi »

Typo - sorry
Que sera, sera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdhAfMor9BM
Wenn Null besonders groß ist, ist es beinahe so groß wie ein bißchen Eins.
MagnusThaSlayer

Que sera, sera. - this much is always true…

Still I find it hard to understand why the Hiarcs-Team would announce October as a targeted release-date and now more than 9 months have passed - yet nobody has a clue when to expect the update.