New feature suggestion: More readable time control

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

jurnieks

New feature suggestion: More readable time control

Post by jurnieks »

Dear development,
I'd like to suggest to make a time control in the header more readable.
Now we can see a small "300+3" somewhere in the corner.
The "Blitz, 5m+3s" with bigger font would be quite more usable, I guess. The time control is a very important game characteristics, so the easy filtering options could be very useful as well. Probably the "bitz, rapid" search keywords are the good option.

Thank you in advance.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Re: New feature suggestion: More readable time control

Post by mrudolf »

jurnieks wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:24 am Dear development,
I'd like to suggest to make a time control in the header more readable.
Now we can see a small "300+3" somewhere in the corner.
The "Blitz, 5m+3s" with bigger font would be quite more usable, I guess. The time control is a very important game characteristics, so the easy filtering options could be very useful as well. Probably the "bitz, rapid" search keywords are the good option.
Bigger font will make it larger than player names. What do you mean by filtering options? The time control is stored in standard PGN field, so it is not easily found by 'blitz' or 'rapid' keyword.
DexterAguilar

Post by DexterAguilar »

I think this suggestion is quite good to apply to the game, anyone have the same opinion as me
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

DexterAguilar wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:26 am I think this suggestion is quite good to apply to the game, anyone have the same opinion as me
I assume we are talking about the played game, not about the database games?

As for filtering, I agree that it would be nice to classify each game as blitz, rapid or standard. This won't be trivial though, as blitz tournament rarely have "blitz" keyword in them (for example, "Titled Tuesday"). For quick filtering this has to be stored somewhere in the database and/or search index, which will require some format changes.