New Feature Request: own books

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Carl Bicknell

New Feature Request: own books

Post by Carl Bicknell »

Given that HCE has great book functions already for its own books, a useful new feature would be to be able to build books for oneself. The UI could then give lots of options like stats / number of positions in book (and number of positions per variation) as well as play % for engine v engine use.
MrBMandaree

Re: New Feature Request: own books

Post by MrBMandaree »

I support this idea.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

MrBMandaree wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:32 pm I support this idea.
This is planned for the next year.
oddg

Post by oddg »

Please make it useful for those who use HCEP for playing human - comp. games. This is a missing feature in all the programs I have looked at. While the book used by the engine (Hiarcs) is very good for general play, you sometimes need a book for training before a tournament.
MagnusThaSlayer

Post by MagnusThaSlayer »

Very good idea that should be right at the top of the priority list!
Carl Bicknell

Post by Carl Bicknell »

oddg wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:15 am Please make it useful for those who use HCEP for playing human - comp. games. This is a missing feature in all the programs I have looked at. While the book used by the engine (Hiarcs) is very good for general play, you sometimes need a book for training before a tournament.
Exactly. One's own book is extremely useful
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

oddg wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:15 am Please make it useful for those who use HCEP for playing human - comp. games. This is a missing feature in all the programs I have looked at. While the book used by the engine (Hiarcs) is very good for general play, you sometimes need a book for training before a tournament.
You can use any CTG book for play, but yes, so far you cannot create a book in HCE.
oddg

Post by oddg »

mrudolf wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:49 am
You can use any CTG book for play, but yes, so far you cannot create a book in HCE.
What I want is to decide which games go into the book as White and which go into as Black play. I will collect the games from my possible opponents in one White file and one Black file. From this I will create one book that could be used when I play against the engine without need to remember wich book to select. With Chessbase I doesn't have this control. I can do it with a polyglot book, but Hiarcs can't use them.
Trahald

Post by Trahald »

It would be terrific if HCE could read (support) Polyglot books or perhaps be able to convert one into its own format.
EloDeficit

Post by EloDeficit »

The easiest way to create CTG books is with the usual ChessBase programs. Steve Lopez posted a video showing how easy it is (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OItKEDdtKak).

CTG being a proprietary ChessBase format, could HIARCS risk copyright violations by its adoption?
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

EloDeficit wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:49 pm CTG being a proprietary ChessBase format, could HIARCS risk copyright violations by its adoption?
CTG is used by HCE, but we would prefer to use something else for our books, as CTG has some limitations we do not like.
jeremyjh

Post by jeremyjh »

mrudolf wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:50 pm
MrBMandaree wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:32 pm I support this idea.
This is planned for the next year.
Hi, are there any updates on this? I'd really like to be able to create a book from some of the Lichess databases; when analyzing I like to look at both master games and amateur games nearer my level to see what people are actually playing. I've done this with a local database and the tree explorer but even with just a few million games it's much slower than a CTG.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

jeremyjh wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:34 pm Hi, are there any updates on this? I'd really like to be able to create a book from some of the Lichess databases; when analyzing I like to look at both master games and amateur games nearer my level to see what people are actually playing. I've done this with a local database and the tree explorer but even with just a few million games it's much slower than a CTG.
It is planned for 1.4 and 1.5, but no extra details yet. I will write in this thread once we have more info.