Hiarcs for iPad and iPhone

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Tschens

Hiarcs for iPad and iPhone

Post by Tschens »

If I would like to install Hiarcs on my iPad as well as on the iPhone, do I have to buy both versions?
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Re: Hiarcs for iPad and iPhone

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Yes, they are separate products.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Tschens

Post by Tschens »

How can I play a game which, independently from the result, has no impact on my own elo rating? Is this possible at all? Let’s say someone else wants to play on my iPad, or I let Hiarcs play against another software.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

1. I agree a good feature would be able to enable/disable rating against computer (my son also likes to play hiarcs on my iphone and turning off rating at times would be useful).

Other nice features would be:
2. Fix bug to enable 'clicking' noise when clicking forward through a pgn/game review. At the moment for some reason the 'click' noise only appears if you click backwards - but not forwards! However the clicking noise appears if you make a (new) move when playing against hiarcs.
3. Enable multiple book selection - I downloaded the Hiarcs 15i book (with over 2 million positions) onto the iphone and it made the engine about 400 points stronger (just an estimate) - so ended up down grading again to the book with about 250k positions so I wasn't just playing book moves to move 13+ (probably me just exaggerating here but it felt like it). Anyway, being able to select certain books on/off would be a nice touch as reviewing the big book is useful for learning but not great for playing.
4. Fix bug whereby the book file (hbg file) is automatically deleted once from the hiarcs iphone folder when clicking on it to upload it. It's a strange bug - but the file just disappears and you have to download it again to the device. Not sure if this is an apple or hiarcs bug. It means you can't swap easily between opening books (as mentioned in point 3 above).
5. Multiple lines (maybe just another one would be nice - although not completely necessary.
6.When reviewing games a little graph showing who is ahead (black/white) according to engine - a bit like Lichess does. Smallfish does a graph on the iphone which is slow but useable.
7. Fix bug where the swipe left/right stops working after a lot of moves (about 28 plus) have been played when reviewing a game - for some reason it just stops working and you have to click on the little 'arrows' symbol to bring up the scroller instead. I think this might be because once a lot of moves have been played it just fills the blue bottom screen up with moves so perhaps it stops the swipe left/right function ??maybe.

Anyway, the app is fantastic overall. I really like it for playing through games or to accompany reading a chess book. Playing the engine is a lot of fun - I've never enjoyed playing an engine as much as hiarcs, especially from positions for learning. Export of the pgn file is also really good - for reviewing more comprehensively later on my computer. It pairs instantly with the Millenium e-chess board I've got and works incredibly well with it - no drop outs, instant connection and discovery.

Highly recommended, as you can probably guess I've used it a lot, so have only noticed these little issues as I've been playing hiarcs so much!

Cheers.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Hi,

I just purchased my copy of HIARCS for iPad.
Is it possible to add functionality to read ChessBases created on Desktop version? It can be shared via iCloud.
It is very comfortable to prepare something for tournaments on my Desktop, and then review it on iPad when I'm traveling for tournaments.
jldchess

Post by jldchess »

I agree.
Terry wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:44 am Is it possible to add functionality to read ChessBases created on Desktop version? It can be shared via iCloud.
It is very comfortable to prepare something for tournaments on my Desktop, and then review it on iPad when I'm traveling for tournaments.
Regards
JL
Tschens

Post by Tschens »

Do you have any news on the update that was planned for end of 2023?