Databases cache (offer)

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Kliver

Databases cache (offer)

Post by Kliver »

"HCE Pro" in OS "Windows" stores the databases cache on the system drive "C". At the same time, I prefer to store all my databases on the "D" drive. My cache is already almost 6 GB. I often back up my system and it would be nice if I could specify a different location for the cache (not on the system drive). Suggestion - add in the "Preferences" of the program the ability to select the location of the cache.

Here's another situation: I opened the database, copied the necessary games and chose "Forget database". The database is no longer needed (it is not displayed in the list), but the cache of this database remains. The suggestion is to add the "Clear cache" button in the "Preferences" of the program. Action: if the database is not in the "Databases" list, then its cache will be deleted.

Or here is a solution to all problems at once: the necessary service files are saved next to the Database file (with the same name, but with a different extension). The "ChessBase" program works according to this principle. I think this is the most successful solution to all problems!
Kliver

Re: Databases cache (offer)

Post by Kliver »

Maybe the developers or some of the users will have other thoughts on how to solve these problems?
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

Kliver wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:34 am Maybe the developers or some of the users will have other thoughts on how to solve these problems?
I don't like the version with storing cache files next to databases. Then, users wouldn't know which files need to be copied to share/backup database. ChessBase solution is different as all *.cb? files are necessary to open the database, while in HCE you can safely delete all the cache and it will be recreated when opening database.

Meanwhile, specifying the cache folder seems OK and we may add it in one of the next versions. We used Cache folder by default, as this is its purpose: keeping data which can be deleted but speed up the program, but I don't see any problem letting users to change this.

Yes, I like the solution to clear cache on Forget. At the moment, the cache is cleaned weekly, so all caches of deleted databases will be finally cleaned, but doing it automatically makes sense. As a workaround, you can remove any cache of a closed database by Alt+click on Open dialog item menu, extra "Remove index" command will appear.
Kliver

Post by Kliver »

As a workaround, you can remove any cache of a closed database by Alt+click on Open dialog item menu, extra "Remove index" command will appear.
Thanks for the advice - I didn't know that!
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

Kliver wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:23 am
As a workaround, you can remove any cache of a closed database by Alt+click on Open dialog item menu, extra "Remove index" command will appear.
I can confirm that in 1.2.1 Forget database will indeed remove cache (assuming the database is not open at the moment). Thanks for a nice suggestion!
GoneBallistics

Post by GoneBallistics »

mrudolf wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:27 am
Kliver wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:23 am
I can confirm that in 1.2.1 Forget database will indeed remove cache (assuming the database is not open at the moment). Thanks for a nice suggestion!
Forget is not available when the database is open.