Annotating Games - KB shortcuts

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

DimEyeChessGuy

Annotating Games - KB shortcuts

Post by DimEyeChessGuy »

Hey there.
So I did re-buy the HCE Pro after all... I've been working with it today and one of my primary use cases is annotating my own games (A LOT).

Am I missing keyboard shortcuts for things like: Set move symbol, or set evaluation symbol? Those would be SO very helpful. Or maybe a separate window (maybe a palette with the symbols in it). Anything beyond context menus?

Thanks,
DECG (Tom)
DECG (Tom)
TimC

Re: Annotating Games - KB shortcuts

Post by TimC »

DimEyeChessGuy wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:04 pm Hey there.
So I did re-buy the HCE Pro after all... I've been working with it today and one of my primary use cases is annotating my own games (A LOT).

Am I missing keyboard shortcuts for things like: Set move symbol, or set evaluation symbol? Those would be SO very helpful. Or maybe a separate window (maybe a palette with the symbols in it). Anything beyond context menus?

Thanks,
DECG (Tom)
Glad to see you are back! I am also not aware of keyboard shortcuts as you are asking about. However if you right click on the move you want to annotate, a sub-menu appears with all of the elements that you are asking about. Hope this helps. :)
DimEyeChessGuy

Post by DimEyeChessGuy »

Thank you for that... yes, I'm aware of the context menus. Hoping maybe we can get kb shortcuts as it is much faster to just kb annotations in. Obviously a personal preference but, I'm invested now and I'd like to see these kinds of improvements (if they do not already exist)

DECG (Tom)
DECG (Tom)
Frank Rahde

Post by Frank Rahde »

Little addition: Double click a move within the notation opens the comment overlay...
DimEyeChessGuy

Post by DimEyeChessGuy »

That's a good one. Although, there is already (for my preferred workflow) keyboard shortcuts for comments (command + M (after the move) and command + shift + M (before the move)).

Thanks for posting this tip though.

DECG (Tom)
DECG (Tom)
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

DimEyeChessGuy wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:15 pm That's a good one. Although, there is already (for my preferred workflow) keyboard shortcuts for comments (command + M (after the move) and command + shift + M (before the move)).
Most symbols can be added by pressing appropriate symbols on the keyboard. For example, pressing +- will insert +- and -/ will insert -/+. Same goes for ?, ?! etc.
DimEyeChessGuy

Post by DimEyeChessGuy »

mrudolf wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:44 am
DimEyeChessGuy wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:15 pm That's a good one. Although, there is already (for my preferred workflow) keyboard shortcuts for comments (command + M (after the move) and command + shift + M (before the move)).
Most symbols can be added by pressing appropriate symbols on the keyboard. For example, pressing +- will insert +- and -/ will insert -/+. Same goes for ?, ?! etc.
Are these documented anywhere?

DECG (Tom)
DECG (Tom)
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

Possibly only somewhere on this forum. We will update the documentation.
DimEyeChessGuy

Post by DimEyeChessGuy »

mrudolf wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:30 pm Possibly only somewhere on this forum. We will update the documentation.
Ok.. I'll give these a try today... Thank you for telling me about them.

DECG (Tom)
DECG (Tom)
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Best kept secret ;-)

I will be updating the documentation for v1.2 in the next few weeks and it will be included then.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Jenesuispasdave

Post by Jenesuispasdave »

I looked at the current online help but couldn't find the keyboard symbol mappings. So I made a list of all the symbols and the keyboard characters for entering them. There are a few symbols for which I've not found a keyboard shortcut.

The format of this list is "characters to enter" followed by "description of symbol". I didn't include the actual graphical symbols that results.

_ clear symbols (underscore character)

! good move
? mistake
!! excellent move
?? blunder
!? speculative
?! questionable
[ only move

= equal
~ unclear
+= white has slight advantage
=+ black has slight advantage
+/ white has moderate advantage
-/ black has moderate advantage
+- white has decisive advantage
-+ black has decisive advantage
~= with compensation

> with initiative
^ with attack
< with counterplay
N novelty
(. zugzwang
(+ time
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

Jenesuispasdave wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:33 pm I looked at the current online help but couldn't find the keyboard symbol mappings. So I made a list of all the symbols and the keyboard characters for entering them. There are a few symbols for which I've not found a keyboard shortcut.
I slightly edited your list to add some missing shortcuts.