Version 1.3

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Mag

Version 1.3

Post by Mag »

Excuse me for asking when version 1.3 will be released.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Re: Version 1.3

Post by mrudolf »

We have just released 1.2, so we don't even have exact plans what will be included in 1.3.

One thing which is decided is that we want to make updates smaller and released more often.
Mag

Post by Mag »

mrudolf wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:50 pm We have just released 1.2, so we don't even have exact plans what will be included in 1.3.

One thing which is decided is that we want to make updates smaller and released more often.
You should act on this already. Create version 1.3. And not to wait.
Frank Rahde

Post by Frank Rahde »

mrudolf wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:50 pm We have just released 1.2, so we don't even have exact plans what will be included in 1.3.

What do you think: The goal could be to deliver an update every 4 or 8 weeks (incl. beta testing). The content of update can be very small, e.g. only one new main functionality and bug fixing.
jldchess

Post by jldchess »

Hello !

Version 1.2.1 has been released. Will there be updates 1.2.2, 1.2.3, … before HCE Pro 1.3 ?
Frank Rahde wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:40 pm
What do you think: The goal could be to deliver an update every 4 or 8 weeks (incl. beta testing). The content of update can be very small, e.g. only one new main functionality and bug fixing.
You're right, but it may take more time even to test and fix minor issues.
Discussions on the forum show how many participants have ideas and expectations for new functionalities !

But let's be patient.

Best regards
JL
TomFurga

Post by TomFurga »

jldchess wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:39 am
But let's be patient.
+1
Some participants are very impatient and ask, almost demand, the impossible...
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

I know that it may look as everybody thinks his feature is most important.

But the feedback is very valuable for us anyway, even if not every feature can be implemented. This helps us to prioritise features and discuss solutions.

Next updates will come faster but with smaller changes. Probably it will be either a few smaller ones or one larger so that they can be tested easier. I guess some people may be annoyed by frequent updates but they can just update every few versions.
TomFurga

Post by TomFurga »

No problem if new features are requested, but there is a difference between asking and telling you what to do and how quickly.
And for the rest, don't be rushed and take the necessary time for improvements.
Good luck with that. 🙂
Mag

Post by Mag »

When is the next version of the program.
DimEyeChessGuy

Post by DimEyeChessGuy »

Mag wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:33 am

When is the next version of the program.
Wow....
DECG (Tom)
Mag

Post by Mag »

Mrudolf and Mark when will be the next program update.
oddg

Post by oddg »

Mag wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:06 am Mrudolf and Mark when will be the next program update.
Maybe you should tell them what you are missing in the current version.
Bug fixes don't need a new version.

I had hope that the the draw/resign button should show up in one of the updates, this seems not to need much beta testing.

What I would have liked in a new version (1.3) is the ability to create special books for use by the engine when you play sparring games against it. This is a much bigger update and needs beta testing.
Mag

Post by Mag »

oddg wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:10 am Maybe you should tell them what you are missing in the current version.

I had hope that the the draw/resign button should show up in one of the updates, this seems not to need much beta testing.

What I would have liked in a new version (1.3) is the ability to create special books for use by the engine when you play sparring games against it. This is a much bigger update and needs beta testing.
There are still many things that can be improved. Read the forum well and you will know what to improve. The engine itself is very average. Mark should get down to work and significantly improve it to a ranking similar to the Stockfish engine.
oddg

Post by oddg »

Mag wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:46 am
oddg wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:10 am Maybe you should tell them what you are missing in the current version.

There are still many things that can be improved. Read the forum well and you will know what to improve. The engine itself is very average. Mark should get down to work and significantly improve it to a ranking similar to the Stockfish engine.
Well, for me the engine is strong enough. I still have to use it on limited strength when playing against it. I use it at full strength only in endgame sparring and here it have some limits, but still way better than Stochfish for sparring prpose..

I have seen some of your comments, but this have mostly been in direction of engine testing. I don't think this is a direction Hiarcs should go. The engine matches that Hiarcs have is ideal for a chess player, very easy to use.

There is two ways I run an engine match.
1. I need some "new" ideas in an opening, then I play a match with one strong and one less strong engine, let say over night in 15+10 games, and study the games the next day to see if it comes up with anything I hadn't thought about..
2. I play a match with a montecarlo engine against a traditional engine to get some high level games from an opening- or middlegame position where I don't find many master games. These too with 15+10 over night so it not produce more games than I'm able to go through.

Both of these methods are just a click away in hiarcs. In programs that are specialized on engine testing, there is full of options whitch make it too complicated to use for a non dedicated engine tester.

(PS! I do test engine sometimes, but then I use Cutechess which produce logs of all your testing that you can use for your report.)
Mag

Post by Mag »

oddg wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:09 am Well, for me the engine is strong enough. I still have to use it on limited strength when playing against it. I use it at full strength only in endgame sparring and here it have some limits, but still way better than Stochfish for sparring prpose..

I have seen some of your comments, but this have mostly been in direction of engine testing. I don't think this is a direction Hiarcs should go. The engine matches that Hiarcs have is ideal for a chess player, very easy to use.

There is two ways I run an engine match.
1. I need some "new" ideas in an opening, then I play a match with one strong and one less strong engine, let say over night in 15+10 games, and study the games the next day to see if it comes up with anything I hadn't thought about..
2. I play a match with a montecarlo engine against a traditional engine to get some high level games from an opening- or middlegame position where I don't find many master games. These too with 15+10 over night so it not produce more games than I'm able to go through.

Both of these methods are just a click away in hiarcs. In programs that are specialized on engine testing, there is full of options whitch make it too complicated to use for a non dedicated engine tester.

(PS! I do test engine sometimes, but then I use Cutechess which produce logs of all your testing that you can use for your report.)
He is supposed to be perfect for everyone, not just those who are sparring. Look at the last Olympics where the engine took part. There was no first place anymore.