1.3 Feature Request

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

TimC

1.3 Feature Request

Post by TimC »

I use HCE Pro for all of my ICCF games and would love the program even more if:

1. The program would automatically flip the board (based on the game header) so that the side I am playing is at the bottom.
2. There was a keyboard command to shut down all (or one at a time) engine/s.

Basically I'm just lazy and tired of hitting Ctrl+B to flip the display around.
And tired and lazy about hunting down the "x's" to close any engines. :roll:

Of course, you might feel the same way if you had several dozen games going at any one time.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Re: 1.3 Feature Request

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Hi Tim,

For 1. that is already available in HCE Pro since 1.0:

Please go to Database->Manage->Flip board to set all the players you want the auto flip for.

See the manual on that here: https://www.hiarcs.com/hce-pro/manuals/ ... ialog.html

For item 2, why would you need to do that? - if you are closing HCE Pro they would be exited.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
TimC

Post by TimC »

Mark Uniacke wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:00 am Hi Tim,

Please go to Database->Manage->Flip board to set all the players you want the auto flip for.

See the manual on that here: https://www.hiarcs.com/hce-pro/manuals/ ... ialog.html

For item 2, why would you need to do that? - if you are closing HCE Pro they would be exited.
Thanks for the answer to #1 Mark!! Had to set each tab individually, but this is just what I wanted. :D

As to #2 I have all my tournaments open in tabs from launch. When skipping from game to game (in different tabs) it would be easier, and faster, for me to invoke a keyboard command to shut down engine/s. Also the "Chessify" engines do not completely shut down if you just close HCE Pro, but continue as a background process that has to killed manually if you don't shut them down in a certain way before exiting HCE Pro. In fact, this was the cause of my accidentally killing HCE awhile back that you helped me fix remotely. :D

#1 was my main need and that you have shown me the solution to, so I can happily live without #2 if it is not considered a priority.
Frank Rahde

Post by Frank Rahde »

Mark Uniacke wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:00 am Hi Tim,

The tab "Flip board" exists for databases in HCE format only. After export my pgn to HCE database I got this tab, but it didn´t work when I added my name as entry to the tab. I have own 12 games within the database, but if I open my games there is no auto flip. :-(

See https://app.screencast.com/fnUkCWhrwvVQz
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

Frank Rahde wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:58 pm The tab "Flip board" exists for databases in HCE format only. After export my pgn to HCE database I got this tab, but it didn´t work when I added my name as entry to the tab. I have own 12 games within the database, but if I open my games there is no auto flip. :-(

See https://app.screencast.com/fnUkCWhrwvVQz
This is true, this information is stored in the database, so obviously PGN doesn't have it.

But there is default list of players used for all new database. You can set it in any HCE database
by adding your player names via Manage database/Board and using "Set as default for new databases"
Frank Rahde

Post by Frank Rahde »

Hi mrudolf,

it doesn't seem to work as my image above showed. I have set my player name as default for the current database and for new databases, but games where I have black still show always the white peaces at the bottom of the board. Restart of HCE Pro didn't help. I must flip the board by hand... :-(
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

Frank Rahde wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:58 pm Hi mrudolf,

it doesn't seem to work as my image above showed. I have set my player name as default for the current database and for new databases, but games where I have black still show always the white peaces at the bottom of the board. Restart of HCE Pro didn't help. I must flip the board by hand... :-(
Can you send a bug report, so that I can check your settings? I tried with my PGN and it works here, so there is something to analyse.
Frank Rahde

Post by Frank Rahde »

Hi mrudolf,

done. I used the "contact us" link of the forum.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

Frank Rahde wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:45 pm Hi mrudolf,

done. I used the "contact us" link of the forum.
I meant using Help->Report a problem from HCE, as this contains your settings. The e-mail is probably the same.
Frank Rahde

Post by Frank Rahde »

Yes, I used this "Report a problem" feature and sent the output via mentioned contact form of the forum. Did you received it?
I just used the "Create e-mail" function additionally. :-)
TimC

Post by TimC »

When I used this I input my last name with and asterisk as shown in the help files. Works fine. I noticed from your screen shot that you did not use and asterisk after your name. Just wondering if that might be the cause of your trouble. Have you tried using Rahde* as the input?
Frank Rahde

Post by Frank Rahde »

Thanks for your hint: "Rahde*" works! But why not "Frank Rahde"?
TimC

Post by TimC »

TBH I don't know. I had same problem when I tried my whole name. Looked at the help file again and noticed that it was last name only with the wildcard. Tried just my last name and boom it worked. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

TimC wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:12 pm TBH I don't know. I had same problem when I tried my whole name. Looked at the help file again and noticed that it was last name only with the wildcard. Tried just my last name and boom it worked. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I assumed this was obvious, but only now I see it isn't.

PGN and FIDE uses the format Kasparov, Garry and that is the format used by HCE for matching players.
But we decided to display the header in standard text format, i.e. Garry Kasparov.

I will change it so that we support both formats.
TimC

Post by TimC »

mrudolf wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:28 am
TimC wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:12 pm TBH I don't know. I had same problem when I tried my whole name. Looked at the help file again and noticed that it was last name only with the wildcard. Tried just my last name and boom it worked. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I assumed this was obvious, but only now I see it isn't.

PGN and FIDE uses the format Kasparov, Garry and that is the format used by HCE for matching players.
But we decided to display the header in standard text format, i.e. Garry Kasparov.

I will change it so that we support both formats.
Great! Thank you.