HIARCs on iOS never accepts a draw!

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Alexander

HIARCs on iOS never accepts a draw!

Post by Alexander »

I like playing HIARCS on the iPhone, it’s fun, but HIARCS NEVER ever accepts a draw even from a drawn position! It is very stubborn.

Is this something to do with the contempt settings for the engine?

From a practical point of view if it’s a definite draw it should really be a bit more sporting and take the draw instead of playing out loads of moves until the position is repeated!

Anything that can be done for this? Do I need to change something in settings? Anyone else managed to get HIARCS to accept a draw?
Thanks
Alex
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Re: HIARCs on iOS never accepts a draw!

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Thanks, I was not aware of this but I will investigate it for the update I am working on that will be released in October.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Hi Mark

Of course I completely understand that you've not been able to release in October.

I was wondering what developments for the iOS will be there though?

Very interested as I use my phone app nearly every day.

Many thanks and good luck with the development.
Alex
Tschens

Post by Tschens »

Any news on the update for iOS? Will it include engine v. 15? Looking forward!
Jens
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

The stronger H15 engine would be nice but possibly even better would be the ability to use endgame tablebases.

In particular the Syzygy endgame tablebases that are available on the iOs store that also works for Smallfish iOS app (stockfish iOS basically) - search Syzygy Tablebase to find them. Ideally Hiarcs iOS would allow import of these tablebases so you don't need to download another 5 gb worth to use them!
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

Alexander wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:12 pm The stronger H15 engine would be nice but possibly even better would be the ability to use endgame tablebases.

In particular the Syzygy endgame tablebases that are available on the iOs store that also works for Smallfish iOS app (stockfish iOS basically) - search Syzygy Tablebase to find them. Ideally Hiarcs iOS would allow import of these tablebases so you don't need to download another 5 gb worth to use them!
I am afraid one app on iOS cannot use the data of another app for security reasons.
Mr. Spock

Post by Mr. Spock »

Not private data of another app, but different apps can access the same public folder. Of course, this would be useful only when Smallfish could do the same instead of requiring the tb's to be in its own private domain.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Well either way - if you could import even just a 3 man tablebase (which wouldn't be large) that would be good and improve the engine ability in iOS.

Perhaps the engine could even accept a draw if it's being told by the TB it's a draw!