Dragon 3.3. UCI engine

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

xyzzy01

Re: Dragon 3.3. UCI engine

Post by xyzzy01 »

herO wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:18 pm This is also one of the reasons why I don't like Mac at all. It has very poor compatibility. The only compatibility is mainly ensured with software that is directly developed by Apple. All other software, despite all efforts, have difficulties. See Stockfish. Such a simple program that is well-tuned and well-implemented in software, and yet people have a lot of trouble using it on the iOS platform. And what was most ridiculous was that there were a lot of people here who started writing on the forum about how Hiarcs Chess Explorer is buggy because Stockfish doesn't work on it, and all the while the fault was on the side of their non-functional iOS.
You're just trolling now. Stockfish works out of the box on Mac - download, make, and tell HCE about it. A real unix might not be for everyone, but Mac is certainly compatible with Stockfish and other engines.
herO

Post by herO »

xyzzy01 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:48 pm
herO wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:18 pm This is also one of the reasons why I don't like Mac at all. It has very poor compatibility. The only compatibility is mainly ensured with software that is directly developed by Apple. All other software, despite all efforts, have difficulties. See Stockfish. Such a simple program that is well-tuned and well-implemented in software, and yet people have a lot of trouble using it on the iOS platform. And what was most ridiculous was that there were a lot of people here who started writing on the forum about how Hiarcs Chess Explorer is buggy because Stockfish doesn't work on it, and all the while the fault was on the side of their non-functional iOS.
You're just trolling now. Stockfish works out of the box on Mac - download, make, and tell HCE about it. A real unix might not be for everyone, but Mac is certainly compatible with Stockfish and other engines.
Don't be upset, but I really wasn't trying to troll. Just take a look at the posts on this forum where many people kept asking how to use the Stockfish chess engine in Hiarcs Chess Explorer. A lot of them even started "yelling" that Stockfish doesn't work because there's a bug in Hiarcs Chess Explorer! It's clear here that a lot of people either don't know how to use iOS at all, or it's a system for not tech-savvy people, and when a problem arises, they have no idea what to do with it.

For all of Apple's claims about how their system is very user-friendly for those who are not tech-savvy, it really doesn't seem comfortable for technologically inexperienced people to use the command line and write commands just to get Stockfish to work!

It should work by simply downloading it to the computer and automatically functioning. It doesn't seem normal to me that an average user has to run the command line and start typing commands there. It's obvious that most technologically inexperienced people don't even know that the command line exists and just blindly copy commands someone wrote for them on a forum. This is simply a failure on Apple's part, and if they are going to boast to the world about how easy their system is to use, they should address this!

Or, take a look at the guide that was written on the first page of this post. I really don't find this intuitive. Yes, I don't have problems with this, but I'm not surprised at all that regular users are asking how to use the Komodo chess engine in Hiarcs Chess Explorer! I really don't think it's normal for an average user to have to open the command line and type commands just to get the chess engine to work!
olfreddy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:25 pm so with Dragon 3.1 it works as follows

1. Open Terminal und Finder
2. Terminal: chmod +x ´now drag the file "dragon-3.1-macos-m1" from the Finder into the terminal`and Enter

example:
olaf@Air-von-Olaf ~ % chmod +x /Users/olaf/Documents/Olaf/Schach/dragon-3.1_d960d7dc/MacOS/dragon-3.1-macos-m1

3. now confirm the security prompt below in the system settings/data protection & security

4. Engine can now be integrated into Hiarcs

Engine can now be integrated into HiarcsIf there is still a problem, then in the terminal after step 2:

olaf@Air-von-Olaf ~ % $ xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine dragon-3.1-macos-m1

then Step 3

I did it this way with a Macbook with m2. Nevertheless left in the designation m1.
Is this supposed to be the famous superb, flawless, and user-friendly operating system for the average user? Seriously?
olfreddy

Post by olfreddy »

@hero: Too bad, I actually wanted to help. I didn't want to give anyone troll food.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

olfreddy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:27 pm @hero: Too bad, I actually wanted to help. I didn't want to give anyone troll food.
I think there is no reason for negative emotions. I think you both have a point: Stockfish can be installed and the process is straightforward, but it is not as easy as it could be, specially for non-expert users. I understand why Apple does this (and making your computer more secure) but it causes some problems for anybody who needs to support users.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Hi all, let me add my 5 cents here.
I'm using Mac for the last 2 years (before I have used Windows starting from 1996).
Any operation system needs some specific knowledge. Even if you know how to use console in Windows - it is already specific knowledge, which is "top secret" for those who don't know it.

On Macs I have tested more then 80 chess engines.
- Some of them were dowloaded as a standalon binary files
- Some (like HIARCS) installed like App
- Some installed with own Mac tools like "brew install stockfish"
The only limitation here - you need explain to your Mac about every binary: "System can run this binary, even if the source of the file unknown". Each time you adding to UI app new engine as a binary you need approve it in Security Center. It is not complex operation, but for people, who have no idea about Mac filesystem tree, about using Security Center, how to copy and paste path to the binaries - it can be non trivial operation. But same situation in any system, as I told in beginning.

Shortly:
- As I told early - I have tested more than 80 engines on Mac M2 (including HIARCS, Stockfish, Komodo etc)
- I have used for it HIARCS UI and Banksiagui UI both
And it works!

If it is doesn't work - you just don't know your system well. It a pity, but most of Mac customers don't know system: never used terminal and command line tools.
EloDeficit

Post by EloDeficit »

@herO Not sure what you mean, but macOS and iOS are different. I use Stockfish on both. No problems. The easiest way to install Stockfish on macOS, as officially recommended by the Stockfish team, is by using Homebrew. As far as HIARCS itself goes, it's had its GUI display problems galore with Windows, but not on macOS. You are entitled to your likes and dislikes, and with all due respect to your otherwise knowledgeable and useful posts here, at least some of your assessments above are subjective and judgmental, and so convey a sense of limited personal experience and knowledge.
herO

Post by herO »

I would have one suggestion. These questions tend to repeat sometimes here.

@Michael, wouldn't it be better if you created a new post summarizing how to install the Stockfish and Komodo chess engines in Hiarcs Chess Explorer, and set this new post on the forum to always appear at the top in the header among other important posts?
HiarcsApple

Post by HiarcsApple »

herO wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:27 pm I would have one suggestion. These questions tend to repeat sometimes here.

@Michael, wouldn't it be better if you created a new post summarizing how to install the Stockfish and Komodo chess engines in Hiarcs Chess Explorer, and set this new post on the forum to always appear at the top in the header among other important posts?
You need Terminal + Github Stockfish Source Code :D

1.download the code (zip) and unpack it: https://github.com/official-stockfish/Stockfish
2.open Finder and push your download (stockfish-master) from you download folder to your user folder (the tiny house icon)
3.open Terminal and write: cd /Users/me/Stockfish-master/src
It's the path to the src which you have downloaded.
You only need to change "me"
Or go into the src folder and copy and paste the path into Terminal.
4.hit Enter
5.copy and paste: make -j profile-build COMP=clang ARCH=apple-silicon
6.hit Enter
7.copy and paste: ./stockfish compiler
8.hit Enter
9.now go into src and you will see Stockfish exec (black / green icon)
10.open Hiarcs Chess Explorer PRO, use the path to select Stockfish exec and have fun.

:arrow: It should be around 2.3x faster than brew and it's optimized for you Mac and that's why I recommend it.
Don't listen to Stockfish developers about using brew. Better tell them to use a device which is around 2.3x times slower :lol:
And they are always claim that Apple Macs are much slower than AMD and Intel (No wonder when they always tell people to use brew) :roll:
Best solution will be when all of them starts to use Mac (M1-M2-M3 chip) devices with Parallels Desktop Windows 11 ARM + Linux + CrossOver.