HIARCS resigns in draw endgame?

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

balaggio

HIARCS resigns in draw endgame?

Post by balaggio »

Hi All,

I have just purchased the Multi-core version of Deep HIARCS Chess Explorer Pro for Mac and started to play around with the engines.

The following position is supposed to be drawn endgame based on the tablebase, however "Deep HIARCS 15.2" gives a close to `-5` evaluation, winning for black and if I am running an engine match (Deep HIARCS vs Deep HIARCS) on this position, usually white resigns after a couple of moves.

I have also added Stockfish16 which gives `0` evaluation to the position and in an engine match it ends in a draw.

Anybody can help me out if I need to adjust some settings? I only increased the Hash size (currently 4096 MB), so everything else should be default.
Yarc

Re: HIARCS resigns in draw endgame?

Post by Yarc »

I've tested on my Win10 machine and both HIARCS 15.2 deep and single core versions show an eval of around -5.00. Previous versions immediately show the correct 0.00. It seems that 15.2 is not using the endgame databases.

Not sure if this issue has been posted before, I did a quick search but could not find a post, so apologies if this is already known.
"I'm not so sure you're on the right track now."..."Oh! I see what you mean."
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

The resign function in HCE Pro should not of resigned the position, I will fix that for the v1.3 update.

With tablebases the engine will evaluate as a draw but of course tablebases would need to be installed locally (since it is impossible to access online tablebases fast enough to use them).

The position is basically a fortress, there is a Detect Fortress option in the H15.2 engine options that can be turned on for analysis, with that option on H15.2 evaluates the position (without tablebases) as drawn.

Yarc, H15 engines load local Nalimov tablebases in background because there can be a delay on first loading them by several seconds especially for 6 piece, rather than delay the user analysis H15 starts analysing while loading the tablebase in background so they were not available for the first analysis you did. If you make a move or take a move back the engine will then be using tablebases loaded. I will see if I can improve that for the next update.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Thanks Mark. I re-tested by making a move in the above position and this time H15.2 stops analysing almost immediately with an eval of -0.03/7. That's indicating that it is using the loaded tablebases as you say.
balaggio

Post by balaggio »

Thanks Yarc for checking too and Mark for the answer.

Looks like I don't have the Detect Fortress option available, should it be available for me too? This is what I've found on the site: "Optional Fortress detection in analysis for Premium customers". I have the "Multi core" version, so not the Premium, I assume this is the reason.

I'll check how I can install the tablebase locally and wait for the next update.
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

The 'Detect Fortress' option can be found under Configure Engine options by clicking on the Cog in the Engine output panel. It's set to False by default.
It can also be found by clicking on the Preferences Cog at the top and going to the Engines tab and double clicking on 'Deep HIARCS15.2'.
Fran66

Post by Fran66 »

Yarc wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:19 am The 'Detect Fortress' option can be found under Configure Engine options by clicking on the Cog in the Engine output panel. It's set to False by default.
It can also be found by clicking on the Preferences Cog at the top and going to the Engines tab and double clicking on 'Deep HIARCS15.2'.
Hi,

That option is not available in the engine configuration. I also have the Multi Core version.
SchuBi

Post by SchuBi »

Here it is (on a Mac)
HiArcs 15.2
H15.2.jpg
H15.2.jpg (39.79 KiB) Viewed 4204 times
Deep HiArcs 15.2
DH15.2.jpg
DH15.2.jpg (38 KiB) Viewed 4204 times
Wenn Null besonders groß ist, ist es beinahe so groß wie ein bißchen Eins.
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Fran66 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:05 pm
Yarc wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:19 am The 'Detect Fortress' option can be found under Configure Engine options by clicking on the Cog in the Engine output panel. It's set to False by default.
Hi,

That option is not available in the engine configuration. I also have the Multi Core version.
It's definitely there on my version so not sure why you don't have it.
Fran66

Post by Fran66 »

Yarc wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:53 pm
Fran66 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:05 pm
Hi,

It's definitely there on my version so not sure why you don't have it.
How odd! Do you have the Multi-Core or Premium version?
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Yes, I opted for the Premium Edition. I don't think the multi-core version has Fortress Detection according to the description found here:
https://www.hiarcs.com/mac-chess-explor ... nload.html
Fran66

Post by Fran66 »

Exactly, it's like Balaggio said, it is not available in the Multi-Core version of Mac... But apparently, on PC that option is not available in any version.

https://www.hiarcs.com/pc-chess-explorer-pro.html

Best regards!
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Ah, I missed that bit in Balaggio's post. However, on my PC with HCPro Premium Fortress Detection is available.
Fran66

Post by Fran66 »

If I had known, I would have bought the Premium version! :roll:
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Fran66 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:49 pm If I had known, I would have bought the Premium version! :roll:
email support they may offer you an upgrade deal