Can't add move comments in Game Notation windows

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Rook-ie-Runner

Can't add move comments in Game Notation windows

Post by Rook-ie-Runner »

Hi!

I am a new HIARCS user and made myself familiar with the UI and the software over the last days. There is one glitch I am not able to solve myself, and this, that a recent game I have played on chess.com, imported into HIARCS, does not allow me to add move comments.

I have searched this board and couldn't find any pointer. Maybe there is something obvious I am missing?

Thanks for any help!
Stephan
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-01 um 19.59.01.png
Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-01 um 19.59.01.png (23.76 KiB) Viewed 429 times
Frank Rahde

Re: Can't add move comments in Game Notation windows

Post by Frank Rahde »

Please double-click on your move to get the comment popup. Also you can use the menu Edit>Insert>Comment...
Rook-ie-Runner

Post by Rook-ie-Runner »

Wow, now I feel stupid :D :D

I now realize that this behaviour is due to the fact, that the game in question already had comments (timestamps from Chess.com), that's why the behaviour changes obviously (which is a bit odd, cause one would expect that 'insert comment' would not disappear in the menu but rather be greyed out or alike).

Also, Edit > Insert > Comment also only works, if there is no existing comment yet.

Thanks!
Stephan
Jenesuispasdave

Post by Jenesuispasdave »

Be careful when importing from Chess.com. The PGN exported from the live game will have clock times using a special comment tag "%timestamp", which is non-standard PGN and which no one understands. You need to go to an "Analysis" board for the game and export the PGN from there; the PGN generated from the Analysis board on chess.com will have the clock times specified as "%clk" tags and those will be displayed in HIARCS as comments ... so you would see them in the displayed PGN and there would not have been confusion about the missing "insert comment" function.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

Can someone attach such non-standard file here?

Indeed, insert a command perhaps should not be disabled or greyed, it can be enabled all the time and allow to edit the comment if it exists.
SchuBi

Post by SchuBi »

Here is a game from the recent DVMM 2023.
https://www.deutsche-schachjugend.de/20 ... ien/7-1-2/
The behavior is the same.(CEP Mac 1.2.1)
You can donload the game via the link.

Attachments
Insert Comment.jpg
Insert Comment.jpg (178.72 KiB) Viewed 362 times
Wenn Null besonders groß ist, ist es beinahe so groß wie ein bißchen Eins.