What does Evalutation 2000-2800 mean

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Alexander

What does Evalutation 2000-2800 mean

Post by Alexander »

Can anyone tell me what the different evaluation levels 2000-2800 actually mean.

Is this run by the HIARCS 15 engine?

I understand that 2000 takes way less time that 2800, and is probably less accurate. But what actually happens if you select 2000 instead of 2800 for example?

Is the engine eval limited in search depth? How many moves is it limted? Or is there something more complex like looking deeper if a blunder is made.

And what do the values represent - ELO ratings for the engine?

Thanks
Alex.
gads

Re: What does Evalutation 2000-2800 mean

Post by gads »

That is just a quick and instant evaluation. It is not a proper analysis.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

gads wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:48 am That is just a quick and instant evaluation. It is not a proper analysis.
HCE tries to estimate how much time is needed to get selected Elo level of quick analysis depending on your hardware. So the time will be different on different machines, but of course, the higher the rating, the longer will the analysis take.
KLc

Post by KLc »

Suggestion for the evaluation graph: use manual engine and manual max time for graph creation.
herO

Post by herO »

mrudolf wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:08 am
gads wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:48 am That is just a quick and instant evaluation. It is not a proper analysis.
HCE tries to estimate how much time is needed to get selected Elo level of quick analysis depending on your hardware. So the time will be different on different machines, but of course, the higher the rating, the longer will the analysis take.
I have been using the latest version of Hiarcs Chess Explorer 2 Pro since 2022, when the program was released for purchase. I have never seen this functionality, and I am quite confused about what is being talked about. As far as I know, the Evaluation Explorer only shows a graph and evaluations in centipawns; there is no ELO rating anywhere. Also, in the analysis, I don't see any option to choose the ELO for the analysis.
gads

Post by gads »

herO wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:26 pm
I have been using the latest version of Hiarcs Chess Explorer 2 Pro since 2022, when the program was released for purchase. I have never seen this functionality, and I am quite confused about what is being talked about. As far as I know, the Evaluation Explorer only shows a graph and evaluations in centipawns; there is no ELO rating anywhere. Also, in the analysis, I don't see any option to choose the ELO for the analysis.
Click the 3 horizontal bars on the right of the Evaluation Explorer window to choose ELO
herO

Post by herO »

gads wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:29 pm
herO wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:26 pm

Click the 3 horizontal bars on the right of the Evaluation Explorer window to choose ELO
Thank you, it didn't occur to me at all to click on the hamburger menu. The icon is hardly visible there, and I must admit that when I was looking at the evaluation graph, I never noticed that icon. It's good to have the option to set the evaluation quality because I've complained before that sometimes the evaluation graph doesn't correspond to reality at all and shows various inaccuracies (for example, indicating a drawn position in a clearly winning position, etc.).