Searching for Chessbase alike function "In this game..."

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Rook-ie-Runner

Searching for Chessbase alike function "In this game..."

Post by Rook-ie-Runner »

Hello there ..

My chess coach is a Chessbase user (who is not) and she wants me to find the HIARCS equivalent to a feature manifestly important and called "In this game...". Apperantly, it is for searching a position not across databases (which as a new HIARCS user I learned quickly how to do) but *within the same game*. I could not really replicate this feature or find out how to do it.

On an expanded note, I realize this feature might come in handy when one builds large game notations of many, many lines and wants to search for specific positions which may appear in different lines. I wonder if one would not rather use different game files instead of keeping anything in one.

I am very much looking forward from expert answers, who have already mastered the issue of 'so many data to organize' :-) As a beginner, it seems hard to learn how to get oneself organized. Any pointer appreciated!

Stephan
Yarc

Re: Searching for Chessbase alike function "In this game..."

Post by Yarc »

Hi. I don't know if this suggestion will help but it's the first thought I had. You could simply create an empty database and then copy and paste the game you want to search into this new database. You can then use the search database menu option to search this database of 1 game for the position or positions required.
"I'm not so sure you're on the right track now."..."Oh! I see what you mean."
mattchess

Post by mattchess »

I also think if you filter a database so it only has the one game in the filter, then turn the filter on in the game explorer you can search for the position in that one game
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

mattchess wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:10 am I also think if you filter a database so it only has the one game in the filter, then turn the filter on in the game explorer you can search for the position in that one game
Yes, that is possibly a better way.
"I'm not so sure you're on the right track now."..."Oh! I see what you mean."
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

1.3 has a function to find position inside variations (for smaller databases). Is that what you may need?