Hiarcs 15.3

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Robert

Re: Hiarcs 15.3

Post by Robert »

gads wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:04 pm
Mark Uniacke wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:22 pm Position learning was more restrictive at 15.3 requiring being switched on and learning only occurred with 256Mb hash or greater and searches >= depth 24.

While the engine defaulted to 256Mb hash, I later noticed the HCE Pro install defaults at 128Mb in order to go easy on RAM that might be shared by many engines analysing in different tabs.

A new version 15.3.1 with enhanced position learning is now available on the download page that enables position learning by default, learning can occur with hash table sizes >= 128Mb and depth >= 20. Separate learning is maintained for Analysis and Play.
I downloaded 15.3.2 and position learning is off by default. Do you have the direct download link for this fix?
Mac -> https://www.hiarcs.com/mac-chess-explor ... nload.html
PC -> https://www.hiarcs.com/pc-chess-explore ... nload.html

The engine name is 15.3.1 and position learning is by default true.
gads

Post by gads »

Not for me
Tuxpower

Post by Tuxpower »

I hope that in the future, the learning file reloads after each game, without having to close the GUI first.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

gads wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:15 amNot for me
Position Learning defaults to true in H15.3.1

It can be changed in Prefs->Engines->H15.3.1 -> Configure to change the settings.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Tuxpower wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:47 am I hope that in the future, the learning file reloads after each game, without having to close the GUI first.
Position learning is retained in memory and expands until the engine exits or changes roles so it does not have to keep loading the file.
Best wishes,
Mark

Tuxpower

Post by Tuxpower »

Mark Uniacke wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:01 pm
Tuxpower wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:47 am I hope that in the future, the learning file reloads after each game, without having to close the GUI first.
Position learning is retained in memory and expands until the engine exits or changes roles so it does not have to keep loading the file.

Ah okay Thanks.
herO

Post by herO »

Mark Uniacke wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:27 am
Horatio wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:01 pm Thanks Mark.

There's a new option in the engine configuration for H15.3: Limit Book Knowledge. My understanding is that when I play against the engine at a reduced ELO level, e.g. 1400, the book knowledge is already limited in several ways. So what happens if Limit Book Knowledge is selected as well?
At H15.3 Limit Book Knowledge was introduced. It means you can limit the book knowledge on any Elo level regulated by Elo (previously it was automatically switched on always on set elo levels). When it is switched off it will not limit book knowledge and this was popular with many who did not want out of book too early on weaker levels.
I'm not sure if this was really necessary, but it could have interesting results. Personally, I think it could have been done better. I just hope that if I now set that I still want book knowledge to be restricted for lower ELO levels, at the maximum level it will be unlimited.
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

There's a new option in the engine configuration for H15.3: Limit Book Knowledge. My understanding is that when I play against the engine at a reduced ELO level, e.g. 1400, the book knowledge is already limited in several ways. So what happens if Limit Book Knowledge is selected as well?
At H15.3 Limit Book Knowledge was introduced. It means you can limit the book knowledge on any Elo level regulated by Elo (previously it was automatically switched on always on set elo levels). When it is switched off it will not limit book knowledge and this was popular with many who did not want out of book too early on weaker levels.
Ah, good to know, I'll switch it on then.
Thanks,
Horatio
oddg

Post by oddg »

Very good! In OTB chess nowadays even players at 1500 are prepared before a game. When playing training games, it's good to be familiar with main lines first. After that, you can switch it on and test your knowledge if you can handle unusual moves.
Fran66

Post by Fran66 »

Hi,

I have Hiarcs 15.2. To install this new version, should I delete and do a clean installation or can I install over version 15.2? Thanks!

Best regards!
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

Hi,
from my experience, no need to delete.
BR
Fran66

Post by Fran66 »

Thanks Tibono2, I will do the same as you.

Best regards!
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

As it says on the download page:
Please ensure you have exited HIARCS Chess Explorer Pro before installing the update. There is no need to uninstall before running the installer, it will automatically update your installation to the latest version.
Best wishes,
Mark

Fran66

Post by Fran66 »

Did it like this and it works perfectly. Thanks, Mark.

Best regards!
Fran66

Post by Fran66 »

Hi,

In version 15.3 we have lost the excellent calibration we had in version 15.2 with the option: "adjust the player's game level". Now the game level is higher, probably too high.

Best regards!