Hiarcs 15.3

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

gads

Hiarcs 15.3

Post by gads »

I see the default setting for Position Learning is OFF for Hiarcs 15.3. Is that an intended change?
Carl Bicknell

Re: Hiarcs 15.3

Post by Carl Bicknell »

Just while we're on new HIARCS versions, has it moved to NNUE by any chance? It was quite a jump from 15.1 to 15.2
gads

Post by gads »

No not NNUE
Tuxpower

Post by Tuxpower »

When the Position Learning is on.

it doesn't create a learning file why ?
gads

Post by gads »

gads wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:07 pm I see the default setting for Position Learning is OFF for Hiarcs 15.3. Is that an intended change?
@Mark ?
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

I am looking into this and will post an update in the next 24-48 hours. It is going to take a little longer than that as I have some tests running and will update when I know the results.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Position learning was more restrictive at 15.3 requiring being switched on and learning only occurred with 256Mb hash or greater and searches >= depth 24.

While the engine defaulted to 256Mb hash, I later noticed the HCE Pro install defaults at 128Mb in order to go easy on RAM that might be shared by many engines analysing in different tabs.

A new version 15.3.1 with enhanced position learning is now available on the download page that enables position learning by default, learning can occur with hash table sizes >= 128Mb and depth >= 20. Separate learning is maintained for Analysis and Play.
Best wishes,
Mark

Horatio

Post by Horatio »

Thanks Mark.

There's a new option in the engine configuration for H15.3: Limit Book Knowledge. My understanding is that when I play against the engine at a reduced ELO level, e.g. 1400, the book knowledge is already limited in several ways. So what happens if Limit Book Knowledge is selected as well?
Mag

Post by Mag »

@ Mark,
I have a request for you. Is it possible to improve two options in the program? It's about options - Depth and NPS. I noticed that the program deviates from other programs in this regard. I will add one more important piece of information - the engine has problems when playing against time.

Regards
Mag
gads

Post by gads »

Mark Uniacke wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:22 pm Position learning was more restrictive at 15.3 requiring being switched on and learning only occurred with 256Mb hash or greater and searches >= depth 24.

While the engine defaulted to 256Mb hash, I later noticed the HCE Pro install defaults at 128Mb in order to go easy on RAM that might be shared by many engines analysing in different tabs.

A new version 15.3.1 with enhanced position learning is now available on the download page that enables position learning by default, learning can occur with hash table sizes >= 128Mb and depth >= 20. Separate learning is maintained for Analysis and Play.
I downloaded 15.3.2 and position learning is off by default. Do you have the direct download link for this fix?
Mag

Post by Mag »

gads wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:04 pm I downloaded 15.3.2 and position learning is off by default. Do you have the direct download link for this fix?
The option you write about is correct, so true.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Horatio wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:01 pm Thanks Mark.

There's a new option in the engine configuration for H15.3: Limit Book Knowledge. My understanding is that when I play against the engine at a reduced ELO level, e.g. 1400, the book knowledge is already limited in several ways. So what happens if Limit Book Knowledge is selected as well?
At H15.3 Limit Book Knowledge was introduced. It means you can limit the book knowledge on any Elo level regulated by Elo (previously it was automatically switched on always on set elo levels). When it is switched off it will not limit book knowledge and this was popular with many who did not want out of book too early on weaker levels.
Best wishes,
Mark

Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Mag wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:20 am @ Mark,
I have a request for you. Is it possible to improve two options in the program? It's about options - Depth and NPS. I noticed that the program deviates from other programs in this regard. I will add one more important piece of information - the engine has problems when playing against time.

Regards
Mag
Could you please give some examples about what you mean by Depth and NPS options and how it deviates from other programs?
Best wishes,
Mark

Mag

Post by Mag »

Mark Uniacke wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:28 am Could you please give some examples about what you mean by Depth and NPS options and how it deviates from other programs?
Here you go, Mark. Take a look at the image below (the red arrow indicates what I mean). As you have noticed, these two options in the NPS and Depth program are small compared to other programs.

gads

Post by gads »

gads wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:04 pm
Mark Uniacke wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:22 pm Position learning was more restrictive at 15.3 requiring being switched on and learning only occurred with 256Mb hash or greater and searches >= depth 24.

I downloaded 15.3.2 and position learning is off by default. Do you have the direct download link for this fix?
Mark?