Feature Request: rearrange columns

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

blitztime

Feature Request: rearrange columns

Post by blitztime »

Hi team,

I would like to see these two UI features that I think would improve the UX for the game list viewer.

1) The user is able to rearrange the order of the columns, e.g., change the order from [WhiteName,WhiteElo,BlackName,BlackElo,Event,EventSite] to something like [WhiteName,BlackName,Date,Result,Event,WhiteElo,BlackElo].

UX-wise, most intuitive to me would be to allow the user to rearrange the columns by dragging them around. Alternatively, when clicking the hamburger menu that opens the checklist for which columns to show, that could instead have a pop up menu with +/- to add/remove a column and up and down arrows to move a column up or down.

2) Allow a multi-column stable sort. E.g., first sort by date, then secondary stable sort by round.
Another example: first sort by WhiteName, then sort by date.

UX-wise, how to differentiate between a multi-column sort vs starting a new single-column sort? Maybe once you've sorted by the first-column, then you can right click on the second column and select the option from a dropdown menu.

Thanks and appreciate the hard work and great product!
Owen
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Re: Feature Request: rearrange columns

Post by mrudolf »

1. Sorting should already be stable. To achieve sorting by date and round, sort by round first and then by date. Within a single date games should be sorted by round.
2. Let's see if there are more people interested in reordering columns. This will make the interface more complicated, so we would need a clear benefit.

PS. Please use meaningful post titles when posting, this will make finding appropriate item easier and increase the chances others will look at your post if they also like the suggestion.
KLc

Post by KLc »

mrudolf wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:48 am 1. Sorting should already be stable. To achieve sorting by date and round, sort by round first and then by date. Within a single date games should be sorted by round.
Sorting is excellent, thanks for implementing this! :!: :!: (I first had to find, however, that I have to go to Database > Manage > Put games in database in current sort order).
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

KLc wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:41 am Sorting is excellent, thanks for implementing this! :!: :!: (I first had to find, however, that I have to go to Database > Manage > Put games in database in current sort order).
We didn't find a better way to show this and making the sorting always permanent seems too much.