HCE feature requests

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Zen_learner

Display game data (and/or game moves) of Online-Book: H-Refe

Post by Zen_learner »

Hi,

I have a subscription running of the Online book: H-reference by which I seem to get played moves in the position by Humans, along with some preferences (!?, percentages)

What I don't know is anything about the games; year played, name or strength of players, etc...

Is it possible to see this now, is this a feature request, does it imply that a database has to be purchased?

Thanks!
Zen_learner

Re: Display game data (and/or game moves) of Online-Book: H-

Post by Zen_learner »

Zen_learner wrote:Hi,

I have a subscription running of the Online book: H-reference by which I seem to get played moves in the position by Humans, along with some preferences (!?, percentages)

What I don't know is anything about the games; year played, name or strength of players, etc...

Is it possible to see this now, is this a feature request, does it imply that a database has to be purchased?

Thanks!
Well, truly, rating and performance are shown, but that, to me, is scant info...
mathefff

Post by mathefff »

Small thing:

would be nice that HIARCS remembers last used opening book. Apparently, it chooses local opening book as default. It is a small inconvenience to change it to GM+ all the time.

I understand there may be some reasons for that (like no internet connection when local opening book is always safe), but still.

Cheers
M.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Re: Display game data (and/or game moves) of Online-Book: H-

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Zen_learner wrote:
Zen_learner wrote:Hi,

Thanks!
Well, truly, rating and performance are shown, but that, to me, is scant info...
The opening book is a tree of opening positions, moves and statistics. It does not contain complete games - that would then be a games database.

The most recent year and elo stats are provided.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

mathefff wrote:Small thing:

would be nice that HIARCS remembers last used opening book. Apparently, it chooses local opening book as default. It is a small inconvenience to change it to GM+ all the time.

I understand there may be some reasons for that (like no internet connection when local opening book is always safe), but still.

Cheers
M.
I suspect you will like v1.5 :wink:
Best wishes,
Mark

frjentsjer

Graph of position evaluation

Post by frjentsjer »

Would it be possible to show the evaluation of the positions of the entire game in a graph, just like it is being shown on the websites of many tournaments nowadays? I like these graphs a lot, because they show very clearly at which move a player is getting an advantage.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

I believe that will be in the 2. series.
Best wishes,
Mark

fafamonge

Post by fafamonge »

Mark Uniacke wrote:I believe that will be in the 2. series.
I really need the feature to draw arrows and color highlight squares.
RafaelR

Repertoire Training

Post by RafaelR »

It would be nice if chess explorer had a feature where you could make a database with the repertoire you play with either color and have chess explorer play the opposite side while you find the moves in your repertoire, letting you know where you made a mistake, or a similar feature incorporated directly with the opening book.
chess666

Post by chess666 »

fafamonge wrote:I just bought Deep HIARCS Chess Explorer yesterday and after one day os usage the features I miss are:
- Draw arrows and highlighted squares
- Tournament of engines
- Set time control for autoplay moves of a game because I think is too fast
- Select a lot of games and edit them one field in batch like "Event" or "Year"
- When you choose an opening to play against the engine must to make all the correct lines of the opening because it is supposed to training purposes
- The option to float some panels to move them out of the main window (very useful when you are using 2 monitors).

I'm happy with this purchase, it's a great software but still have a lot of things to improve. FULL RECOMMENDED
I just bought too and i am afraid customers will ask the moon and HCE will become as AQUARIUM style !!!
What i like about HCE is the easy to use interface and what i like about HIARCS in general is books updated. IF HIARCS team concentrate all his energy for add many little features in HCE wihout strategical marketing, i think it will be an error ???

HIARCS is alone in the market to provide updated books but not sure they will be always alone ! So, improve yet them with for example one column more about popular variations ( as the fashion one in reference book of CB )

IF you try to compet with CB and CA, your product will become harder to use, you will lose your identity , the time spent for this will be not used to improve books and engine and finally, imho, the interest for HCE will decrease ( at least mine ) !

In other words, if i want a performant databases manager, i use CB12 !
IF i want to analyse my openings , i prefer HCE with online books subscription ( also preparation against opponents is very easy in HCE ) ;-)
I think really the winning strategy for HIARCS must be : Easy to use, performant updated books and engine, perhaps some analysis tools too....BUT not what we have already with other great brands !!!

Just my 2 cents of course....
martinus

Post by martinus »

I am with chess666 here, completely. We already have too many unstable hard to use and feature rich chess software. Obviously the team developing this, they know very well what they are doing. They have an history of building solid, stable, and easy to use software.
michaelmatthews

Feature Requests

Post by michaelmatthews »

Hi Mark:

This may be too complicated considering the standardized pgn format, but two things would be really nice to be able to do with our databases:

1. Drag re-order games in the database window.
2. Have a field for comments about the game in addition to the existing fields (names of players, dates, etc.). This would be useful when creating a database of opening variations.

Thanks!
Michael
monomero

Post by monomero »

Hi Guys !

Great interface: clean, fast and easy.

During these days of fun I came up with some small ideas. Beg me in the case someone else already suggested:

1. database: possibility to "declare" which color I played, thus the board would be instantly flipped in case of black.
2. option to open the last file at startup.
3. improve automatically resizing: the board usually doesn't fit as I expect when maximized / minimized.

.. and .. would you consider in the future displaying variations with arrows ?

I wasn't that mean :-)
“Not all artists are Chess players, but all Chess players are artists” (Marcel Duchamp)
Trahald

Post by Trahald »

fafamonge wrote:I really need the feature to draw arrows and color highlight squares.
Just wanted to add another voice for this feature to be added. I find it very useful for training and analysis.
mathefff

Post by mathefff »

monomero wrote: 1. database: possibility to "declare" which color I played, thus the board would be instantly flipped in case of black.
2. option to open the last file at startup.
This!