HIARCS Chess for MAC

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

RedTea

HIARCS Chess for MAC

Post by RedTea »

Hi - i was looking for a chess programme for my mac computer, HIARC got suggested and i was told to drop a post on this forum...

The HIARC site's pretty hectic and I wasn't really sure which one of them i wanted.

I'm a beginner so the tuition side of thing's important to me.

At the moment Shredder and HIARC seem to be the main two...

Cheers!
RedTea

Post by RedTea »

also - what about the two version of HIARCS, deep vs normal? does the deep one start at a higher ELO rating?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

RedTea wrote:also - what about the two version of HIARCS, deep vs normal? does the deep one start at a higher ELO rating?
Deep will use all the available cores on your machine. The 'normal' version will only use 1.
RedTea

Post by RedTea »

Oh right, well it won't need more than one core to beat me for a fair old while :wink:

can't seem to find a trial version for HIARC at the moment, got one for shredder.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

RedTea wrote:Oh right, well it won't need more than one core to beat me for a fair old while :wink:

can't seem to find a trial version for HIARC at the moment, got one for shredder.
This is the one you want https://secure.shareit.com/shareit/chec ... 0531162]=1
more details on this page http://www.hiarcs.com/mac-chess-explorer.htm
Dikkie

Post by Dikkie »

I'm strongly thinking of buying this program Hiarcs Chess Explorer.

I like to use it on my Mac, the Mac version, and also my Windows Laptop for using during Chess tournaments.

Does this mean I have to buy 2 licenses?? One for a Mac version and one for the Windows laptop?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

I suggest you email hiarcs support directly to see what is possible. The address is hiarcs @ hiarcs.com - you will need to remove the spaces!
Dikkie

Post by Dikkie »

Thanks for your quick reply!

I immediately emailed them.
RedTea

Post by RedTea »

brought HIARC's the other day... As a programme it's better than shredder IMO just on the grounds the window is all one thing instead of lots of little separate ones, that was really annoying.

The tutor bit doesn't seem that good to me - doesn't really give that much, just flags when you're doing a particularly bad move, no reasoning or anything.

Looks good though, takes a fair bit of time to move sometimes, im not sure whether thats to simulate a human opponent or because thats just how long it takes.

I really haven't dug that deep though, opened the notated matches the other day and all thats way too advanced for me, if that gives any indication where I'm at level wise.

is there a way to manually edit your ELO rating thing? I think i'd be best off starting from the lowest possible...

cheers
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

RedTea wrote:
is there a way to manually edit your ELO rating thing? I think i'd be best off starting from the lowest possible...

cheers
I suggest you use the option where Hiarcs matches your strength. It will adapt its level to how you play and should prove to be an interesting opponent.
RedTea

Post by RedTea »

yeh i have... I'm currently on 916, and falling! ha ha. I'm waiting for HIARCs to just flag a message saying 'dude, seriously?'
martinus

Post by martinus »

At 900 you must get a fair chance, even if you are beginning. Don't play too fast and play with some increment, that is some extra seconds for each move. In chess, time is very important for human quality play. For a beginner or an occasional player with few practice I wouldn't recommended anything faster than 5 12 (five minutes per game plus 12 seconds for each move). Enjoy.
martinus

Post by martinus »

Harvey Williamson wrote: I suggest you use the option where Hiarcs matches your strength. It will adapt its level to how you play and should prove to be an interesting opponent.
Another funny way is like this. Play first game with the lowest rated possible, then when you draw, play next game with same rating; when you win or lose, increase or drop 25 rating points in the next game. Play all games with automatic selection of pieces color.