Minor bug (?) when ordering database by date

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

xerxes

Minor bug (?) when ordering database by date

Post by xerxes »

Prior to my recent purchase of HCE, I used to keep all my games in separate PGN files. I have now concatenated all these into one PGN file, which I then imported into HCE as a 'MyGames' database.

Some of these games had the date recorded without a leading zero on the month and/or day (e.g. 2013.1.2). When the games are ordered by date in the Game Explorer view, such dates are evaluated as being greater than dates which have a leading zero (e.g. 2013.1.2 comes after 2013.04.30 in the list). HCE seems to be doing a text comparison rather than a true date comparison.

HCE itself always saves games with leading zeroes on the date field, so this is only a problem when loading PGNs created by other software. You can work round it by doing 'Edit Header' (which displays the date with leading zeroes) and saving it without actually changing anything, and HCE then rewrites the file to include the leading zeroes. But it would be a bit of a pain to do this for a large number of games.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

HIARCS Chess Explorer v1.5 resolves this issue.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com