Hiarcs 64 bits !

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

chess666

Hiarcs 64 bits !

Post by chess666 »

Hello,

Can we expect a Deep Hiarcs 14 64 bits improved version faster than the current 32 bits one please ?

Many thanks
Yarc

Re: Hiarcs 64 bits !

Post by Yarc »

chess666 wrote:Hello,

Can we expect a Deep Hiarcs 14 64 bits improved version faster than the current 32 bits one please ?

Many thanks
I have read on this forum before that changing the code to 64 bit wont improve HIARCS. This is unlike the more brute force based engines such as Rybka, Houdini etc., which benefit greatly from the extra data bandwidth and allows them to march further down the move tree. As HIARCS is more of a knowledge-based system and on longer time controls will better understand positions as compared to these so-called faster engines, then apparently, converting the code to 64-bit wont change much. On short time controls, the 64-bit brute force based engines may well win more games, but on the longer time controls, most games between the top engines will be draws, but occasionally HIARCS will win a game because of it's better understanding.
chess666

Post by chess666 »

What is a long time control for you please ? ( where Hiarcs is stronger ...)
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

chess666 wrote:What is a long time control for you please ? ( where Hiarcs is stronger ...)
This is from what I have read from Selective Search computer chess magazine. A long time control would be in the order of 40 moves in 2 hours or longer. People have undertaken such long time controls and witnessed where HIARCS can outsmart the other engines. All said and done, these engines are extremely strong and outsmart the top human players. As to which one wins most games and how many bits they use is not the major factor in my mind, but what is interesting is the style of play. They are all very good, in other words. But if you are after a brute-force number crunching beast then Houdini 3.0 is still at the top I believe, but others are catching up. If, however, you like the idea of an engine having more knowledge and as a result of extra thinking time, able to come up with the same or better move than the faster, brute-force engines, then HIARCS is very good indeed.

Hope that helps.