Mac Version for Beginner

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

patrickcox

Mac Version for Beginner

Post by patrickcox »

Hello,
I am interested in Hiarcs for Mac but I wasn't sure which version to buy. I am a new player. I do have a current Mac with a dual processor. How would the two versions compare for me?

Thanks!
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: Mac Version for Beginner

Post by Harvey Williamson »

patrickcox wrote:Hello,
I am interested in Hiarcs for Mac but I wasn't sure which version to buy. I am a new player. I do have a current Mac with a dual processor. How would the two versions compare for me?

Thanks!
if you want the chess playing engine to use both cores and play at full strength you need the Deep version. However if you are just a beginner and want to play against the program yourself the single version would be fine.
patrickcox

Post by patrickcox »

Harvey Williamson wrote:

Thanks!
if you want the chess playing engine to use both cores and play at full strength you need the Deep version. However if you are just a beginner and want to play against the program yourself the single version would be fine.
Thanks for your reply. If you don't mind, I will ask one follow up. As a beginner, I suspect I will be playing the computer at lower levels (lower rating) for some time to come, so under that scenario, are there other circumstances where I would benefit from the Deep version? For example, is there any benefit of the Deep version in analyzing GM games? Or in the software analyzing my own games for mistakes...etc?

Thanks again! I appreciate the quick response.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

patrickcox wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

Thanks!
Thanks for your reply. If you don't mind, I will ask one follow up. As a beginner, I suspect I will be playing the computer at lower levels (lower rating) for some time to come, so under that scenario, are there other circumstances where I would benefit from the Deep version? For example, is there any benefit of the Deep version in analyzing GM games? Or in the software analyzing my own games for mistakes...etc?

It will still play above GM level on 1 core so you can analyse games. If it is a tricky position just give it a little more time and you will get the same results.
patrickcox

Post by patrickcox »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
patrickcox wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

Thanks!

It will still play above GM level on 1 core so you can analyse games. If it is a tricky position just give it a little more time and you will get the same results.
Thanks for your help!