HCE Version 1.6???

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

TimC

HCE Version 1.6???

Post by TimC »

Just curious as to when this update to HCE is going to come out as PC hash tables are still limited to 512 MB.
Kemuri

Post by Kemuri »

My version 1.5.1 goes up to 4096 MB...
I don't believe in intuition, but I've got a funny feeling that one day I will...
chess666

Post by chess666 »

Kemuri wrote:My version 1.5.1 goes up to 4096 MB...
Sure ? I thought it was limited to 2048 MB as DH14 Hash size :?: :?: :?:

On my Deep HCE 1.5.1, it is limited to 2048 MB anyway !
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

chess666 wrote:

64 bit uci engines installed in HCE can use more than 2048.
Peter Grayson

Re: HCE Version 1.6???

Post by Peter Grayson »

TimC wrote:Just curious as to when this update to HCE is going to come out as PC hash tables are still limited to 512 MB.
Running Zappa Mexico II with 16384 Mb (16 Gb) hash according to Task Manager. Seems to me that engine parameter limits hash not HCE 1.5.1 GUI.

PeterG
chess666

Post by chess666 »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
chess666 wrote:

64 bit uci engines installed in HCE can use more than 2048.
Where please ? It is on general settings no ?

I have Houdini 3 64 bits and Stockfish 4 64 bits on my engines list BUT Nalimov hash tables are limited to 2048 ! ( SF4 don't use them but H3 yes )
stagehand

Post by stagehand »

Well I have never got around this problem yet either (read HCE 1.5.1)so cannot understand how one person can get it to work when many others cannot??
chess666

Post by chess666 »

Sorry, misunderstanding because i had to remove "Use common hash settings" in each engines parameters for obtain more than 2048 which is the max for DH14 but not for others :idea: :oops:
stagehand

Post by stagehand »

The point is you are unable to change the hash size to what you want....when it comes to trying to change the hash size for Stockfish I cannot even get this prog to use more than 3 numbers? Also have problems setting threads. all this needs sorting out....fast.
Peter Grayson

Post by Peter Grayson »

stagehand wrote:The point is you are unable to change the hash size to what you want....when it comes to trying to change the hash size for Stockfish I cannot even get this prog to use more than 3 numbers? Also have problems setting threads. all this needs sorting out....fast.
I see two options for setting hash:

1.Edit\Preferences\Engines\Hash Table Size ... set the value ensuring you use the UP or DOWN arrow. On my 32 Gb RAM system this is limited to 8192 Mb. For some reason typing in the value is limited to 2048 Mb. Don't forget to also set "threads" here for engines like Stockfish with default of 1 thread.

2. Load the engine to be used in the game playing interface and click on the engine settings icon. If "Use common hash settings" is checked the engine will use up to 8 GB (in my example), or the engine limit e.g. 2048 Mb for DH14. To set higher than the common hash value, uncheck that option; type in the required value and don't forget to press enter. The value should turn to bold type confirming acceptance.

To confirm hash size used by engine use Windows Task Manager\Processes\ ... identify the engine and confirm value in "Commit Size" column. The other memory columns will be incorrect if Large Pages are used and the engine uses LP unless insufficient contiguous memory is available.

PeterG
TimC

Post by TimC »

This is a known error for Windows systems according to Mark. It was to be addressed in the 1.6 update.
stagehand

Post by stagehand »

[I see two options for setting hash:

1.Edit\Preferences\Engines\Hash Table Size ... set the value ensuring you use the UP or DOWN arrow. On my 32 Gb RAM system this is limited to 8192 Mb. For some reason typing in the value is limited to 2048 Mb. Don't forget to also set "threads" here for engines like Stockfish with default of 1 thread.

2. Load the engine to be used in the game playing interface and click on the engine settings icon. If "Use common hash settings" is checked the engine will use up to 8 GB (in my example), or the engine limit e.g. 2048 Mb for DH14. To set higher than the common hash value, uncheck that option; type in the required value and don't forget to press enter. The value should turn to bold type confirming acceptance.

To confirm hash size used by engine use Windows Task Manager\Processes\ ... identify the engine and confirm value in "Commit Size" column. The other memory columns will be incorrect if Large Pages are used and the engine uses LP unless insufficient contiguous memory is available.
You make the settings ,but after close down everything goes back to factory settings again..at least on my computer.
This is a known error for Windows systems
Seems to be more Windows computers out there than Macs, by a long way!
Peter Grayson

Post by Peter Grayson »

stagehand wrote: You make the settings ,but after close down everything goes back to factory settings again..at least on my computer.

Seems to be more Windows computers out there than Macs, by a long way!
In Windows 7 Pro x64 the common hash setting stays at whatever I've set it to up to 8 Gb, similarly the engine too if common hash setting is selected. Engines revert to 128 Mb default on load if common hash not used. Tried this closing GUI and Windows so is consistent on my rig.
stagehand

Post by stagehand »

Well I just have Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit 8 GB but I still cannot get it to work right, but Im not alone it seems?!
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Provided the Hash is set in the Preferences->Engines tab it can be set on Windows to 1/4 the physical RAM (this was a mistake in the Windows version at v1.5/1.5.1) - in v1.6 on a 8Gb machine you will be allowed to allocate 6Gb to hash.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com