Printing

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

stagehand

Printing

Post by stagehand »

Is there any way to print the board within Chess Explorer, either with the game score or better still on its own?
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

You can add diagrams to any game notation and print it out, that will print the board/position.

You can also copy a board image if you just want an image of the board.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
stagehand

Post by stagehand »

Well could you tell me how? If I go to 'File' then 'Print' all I can get is Current game or Games from filter, which seems to only print the game score, cannot find any way to also print the board diagram? :?:
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Add a diagram where you want it in the game notation using the move context menu (right click on a move and choose add comment, click the diagram button and optionally enter some text and click ok). You will then see [diagram] in the notation and this is where a diagram will be inserted when you print.
Best wishes,
Mark

stagehand

Post by stagehand »

That works..thank you.

But still cannot seem to be able to just print the board on its own. :?:
Jnaud

Post by Jnaud »

You can go in the menu Edition->copy and choose picture of the board. You have now the picture of the board in the clipboard and you can open it in another software to print it.
When you see a good move, look for a better one - Lasker
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

It is even more straight forward to print a set up position, simple go to File->Print->Current game

Here is an example load the Tactics-WAC300.pgn database, open the first position, choose File->Print->Current game and the game heading and board position is printed.
Best wishes,
Mark

stagehand

Post by stagehand »

Yes that works too, but not really want I want to do. If I wish to print JUST the board from one of my games within any database, I am unable to just print only the board on its own. I only get the game score, yes I can add the board doing want you told me. I also know I can copy it over to chipboard etc, etc, but just thought I could have done it within C.E. but it seems not.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Ok, I think I understand what you mean. You have a game with notation (moves, comments etc) and while you can add a diagram anywhere and print the game moves and diagram you really prefer to just print the position at any point in the game without any moves?

That is currently only possible in HCE when the notation has no moves, but we will consider that as a potential feature for the future. Are there other customers who would find that feature useful?

What is the purpose of just printing the position, is it to set quizes from game positions or something else?
Best wishes,
Mark

mohishunder

Post by mohishunder »

Mark Uniacke wrote: What is the purpose of just printing the position, is it to set quizes from game positions or something else?
Yes, exactly that. To set a quiz from a position.

Right now I am practicing the B+N mate, and I'd like to save the key positions that repeatedly trip me up. I realize there are many other programs to print a chess position, but the smoothest workflow would be to click within Hiarcs (while reviewing one of my B+N practice sessions) and select "Print position."

Thanks, Mark.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Would it not be better to add diagrams to an instructive game on how to win those positions. That way you have all the information.

As a quiz you could save lots of these positions in HCE and play from them in play mode to practice.
Best wishes,
Mark

mohishunder

Post by mohishunder »

It's hard to quiz myself when the answer is visible right under the problem diagram. (In fact, I'm surprised how many otherwise interesting chess puzzle books get this wrong.)

I'd like to be able to print the diagram straight from Hiarcs, and then I can write the answer on the back of the printout. So I can look at the front, work out what I think is the answer, and then turn it over to check. This is not high tech - it's just a simple workflow that doesn't require firing up some other program.