HCE 1.7 - Meaning of "*.hbs" and "*.hcs"

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Bauernstreich

HCE 1.7 - Meaning of "*.hbs" and "*.hcs"

Post by Bauernstreich »

Hello,

I bought Hiarcs Chess Explorer 1.7 (not yet the Deep one), and don't understand the meaning of the different books, as I am used to "*.ctg"?!

I found two different book-extensions:

1. C:\Program Files (x86)\HIARCS Chess\HIARCS Chess Explorer\data\helper

H14aHumanBook.hbs

What is the function of this "book"? It isn't the opening book, is it? When is this used?

2. C:\Users\*****\Documents\Hiarcs Chess\Books

Hiarcs14bBook.hcs

a) If this is an opening book, I don't understand, why it does not work, when I hide the "*.hbs-book". In that case the software does not show anything and actually does not work. Do I have to set up the Hiarcs-engine in a special way or is this an essential system file?

b) If I upgrade to the latest opening book from December 2013, I probably get something like "Hiarcs14hBook.hcs". Will this delete or replace my other paid "Hiarcs14bBook.hcs"? Do they interfere each other, thus I have to put the older one into a folder or does the engine/gui always take the newest one?

c) If the subscription is over, can I use the latest of my paid opening books furthermore? Are they replaced (automatically), when there is an update or do I get a collection like "14h.hcs", "14i.hcs" and so on...?

d) If I stick to "Hiarcs" and do not Upgrade to "Deep Hiarcs", is it better to use the Local Book or the Online GM-Book, if I have a fast internet connection? Is this the same with "Deep Hiarcs"? ...or is this only when an endgame tablebase is needed?

e) I also bought the iPhone App and the iPad App of Hiarcs. Is it right that I can only use the promotional code of one App, although I paid twice for each App?

f) If I use the opening book-subscription, do I also get an update for my iDevices. At the moment I use the free version "HiarcsBook13064.hbg", which is larger than the integrated one "HiarcsBook13060.hbg".

g) One last question referring pgn-Database: The main reason, why I bought "Hiarcs Chess Explorer" lies in the fact to have the possibility to check different opened databases (pgn-files) at the same time. However, if a pgn-file contains more than one game and I open a second register in order to load another game out of the same pgn-file, the gui opens my already loaded register and not a new one. When I did a copy of the first pgn-file and also open the copy together with the original, I am able to ckeck different games within the "same" pgn-file? Is it possible to change this?

Sorry for so many questions, but I would like to know it, in order to get the most of your brilliant software... ;-)

Thank you very much!!!
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Re: HCE 1.7 - Meaning of "*.hbs" and "*.hcs&q

Post by Mark Uniacke »

HBS is the format used by HCE to display the local book.

HCS is the format used by Hiarcs engines for the last 30 years.

Hiarcs 14 will use the latest HCS book that is in the Books folder.

Hiarcs 14 cannot read HBS books.

The online books are superior to the local book so in the Opening Explorer it is better to use the GM book (or GM+ if you have the Deep version).

Subscribers also get access to our Tournament and Human Reference books (total 45 million positions) via the OE source selector.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com