Copying and pasting a number of games

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

finnegan63

Copying and pasting a number of games

Post by finnegan63 »

I am in the process of putting all of my games onto a database in Hiarcs Chess Explorer in date order. I have found one I had missed which is about 60 games chronologically before the most recent one I have inputted.

Is there any better way of getting this into the right chronological order than copying and pasting all those 60 games into a later place in the database after the game i have just found then deleting the original entries, which will be very time-consuming?

Surely you just ought to be able to select a range of games, then cut and paste them, which would do this in no time.
Michael Blake

Post by Michael Blake »

One quick way is to open the pgn file in Notepad or similar and simply paste the game into the position you want. You can search the notepad file quickly to find the game you want to paste prior to.

Hope that helps,
Mickey
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Re: Copying and pasting a number of games

Post by Mark Uniacke »

finnegan63 wrote:I am in the process of putting all of my games onto a database in Hiarcs Chess Explorer in date order. I have found one I had missed which is about 60 games chronologically before the most recent one I have inputted.

Is there any better way of getting this into the right chronological order than copying and pasting all those 60 games into a later place in the database after the game i have just found then deleting the original entries, which will be very time-consuming?

Surely you just ought to be able to select a range of games, then cut and paste them, which would do this in no time.
I am not sure why you need to have the PGN file contents in date order since you can sort by date with one click on the date column header in Game Explorer.

However if you want to have the file stored in date order or any other sort order we support that is easy - sort using the Game Explorer column headings then use File->Export-> Games in Filter and the resulting PGN file will be output in the sort order you have specified in GE.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com