Entering last move variation in HCE

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

ddlj81

Entering last move variation in HCE

Post by ddlj81 »

When I am annotating a game in HCE, how do I enter a variation after the last move of the game. For instance, I want to annotate why black resigned after white's last move and enter it as a variation. But right now in HCE, it adds the moves to the main line.
Simon

Post by Simon »

These instructions from a post by Mark explain how:
1. go to the end of the game
2. enter moves to continue game
3. go back to move before last move in actual game
4. press shift and enter last move

Then game will have variation including last move of game.
ddlj81

Post by ddlj81 »

I am using a mac and I tried what you mentioned and when I go back and press shift and play the last move, it just plays the same move I had before.
ddlj81

Post by ddlj81 »

It actually worked if I actually enter the moves with click and click, rather than drag and drop. So when I go back to last move and enter (click click) it then makes that a variation.

Thanks
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

I have just tried it on Mac and it works with with drag and drop of the move here. I do not see there is an issue here. Can you recheck and confirm you are seeing an issue with drag and drop not adding the last move?
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
ddlj81

Post by ddlj81 »

I rechecked and noticed that the drag and drop is not working when I use three finger drag on my mac (three finger is equivalent to click and drag). But it does work when I actually click and drag.

Thanks
jldchess

Post by jldchess »

Hello !

To add a variation at last move, I use the command "Insert a null move" in the Edit menu, then I enter variations.