Millennium King Performance vs. TASC R40 (King 2.5)

Designed for posting all types of tournaments and Games (e.g. Man vs. Machine, Computer vs. Computer and basement matches.)

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
TracySMiller

Millennium King Performance vs. TASC R40 (King 2.5)

Post by TracySMiller »

Now on to a match with my latest favorite toy, the Millenium King Performance. From some of the testing I've seen from spacious minds and others, it may be 150-200 points stronger than the TASC R40, putting it in the 2550-2600 range. This is on the default settings, the "Normal" mode. After this match is over, I may play a match with some of the settings established which may put the machine up by another 150 points or so. I may also play some matches throttling down the King Performance to the TASC's clock speed, and vice versa.

Any guesses as to the result of this first match? I'm going to try to do 20 games, at 30 seconds/move.
donkeylane

Post by donkeylane »

I will make a guess as to the outcome of a 20 game match between these two, based upon the 20 game match I posted in the games section in the forum, namely the Millennium King v R30 V2.5.Although not the two participants in your match,maybe there is a guide there,in the 20 game match I posted,the R30 took a measly,for the R30 that is,2.5 points out of 20.Therefore I will estimate the R40 will improve on that tally by 3.5 points and go for a 14-6 win for the Millennium King.Steve C.
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

You would probably revise your prediction if I told you the score so far after eight games. Let's just say the TASC R40 is not exactly having a great match.
X__Gandalf__X

Post by X__Gandalf__X »

I predict 16.5 v 3.5 to Millenium King
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

One quick question to those of you who know more about opening books than I do. I noticed when reviewing the settings of both the Millennium King Performance and the TASC R40 that I was careful to make sure they were both pondering, they both were using the same time/move, etc., but one thing I noticed was that by default the opening book for the King was set to "Book 1", and the TASC R40 was set to a book called "Aegon", although there is a choice for its book called "Normal". Does anyone know which book is better for the TASC R40 in this type of setup?
donkeylane

Post by donkeylane »

The Aegon tournament,was a computer v human tournament over 20 years ago,and,if I am not mistaken,the Aegon book was an opening book to counteract their human opponents with a more obscure offbeat line, which humans are more likely not to have studied,but not an optimum book in terms of getting an advantage against another computer which may have a large opening library.For computer v computer matches I would definitely say the normal book is much better for the computer to get out of the opening in a better position,I don't know if the opening gambits you are getting seem a little weird,but I wouldn't be surprised.Steve C.
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

OK, that makes sense. I think I'm going to restart the match with the Normal book for the TASC R40. Just FYI, after nine games the score was 9.0-0.0 for the King. Hopefully, the better book will give it at least a fighting chance. That may also be the explanation for its slightly lower performance in its match vs the Novag Citrine.
donkeylane

Post by donkeylane »

Also,I may have overlooked another important factor,these things happen with age.In my match,the R30 only got a result in a game against the Millennium King, after I had turned the speed down from the initial 300mhz,which was used for the first 6 games and the score being 6-0,I subsequently turned the speed down after that for the rest of the match to 30mhz,the R30 was comprehensively outplayed when the King was at 300mhz.Steve C.
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

Yeah, I know about the clock speed issue. What I am trying to establish is the relative strength between the units when they are both operating at default. I've seen from the test suites spacious minds performed that in Normal mode the King was scoring around 2580 (and as high as around 2690 with new "personalities"), but I was curious as to how that translated across the board. Maybe I'll do 20 games at 300 MHz and then 20 at 40 MHz.
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

After five games the score is:

MILLENNIUM KING PERFORMANCE: 4.5
TASC R40: 0.5
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

After eight games the score is:

MILLENNIUM KING PERFORMANCE: 6.5
TASC R40: 1.5
Kasparov111

Post by Kasparov111 »

TracySMiller wrote:After eight games the score is:

MILLENNIUM KING PERFORMANCE: 6.5
TASC R40: 1.5
Looks like the King's is dominating, off topic, are you able to tell me 2250xl strongest settings? Is brute better than selective? And the book if there is something to change?
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

You want to make sure EASY MODE and RANDOM are both set to OFF. As for the book, traditionally Tournament Book is thought to produce the best results, but there are some opinions out there that this book doesn't actually work on the RS 2250XL. As for the Brute Force/Selective Force discussion, I'm not sure there's a consensus on that either. On the BT-2650 test on the Schach-Info site, both modes scored about the same. I think by default the mode is set to "Brute Force". Perhaps you can do some testing with each mode and note any differences in playing quality.

Check out this thread, if you want to jump down that rabbit hole:

http://www.hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic. ... ack+2250xl
Kasparov111

Post by Kasparov111 »

TracySMiller wrote:You want to make sure EASY MODE and RANDOM are both set to OFF. As for the book, traditionally Tournament Book is thought to produce the best results, but there are some opinions out there that this book doesn't actually work on the RS 2250XL. As for the Brute Force/Selective Force discussion, I'm not sure there's a consensus on that either. On the BT-2650 test on the Schach-Info site, both modes scored about the same. I think by default the mode is set to "Brute Force". Perhaps you can do some testing with each mode and note any differences in playing quality.

Check out this thread, if you want to jump down that rabbit hole:

http://www.hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic. ... ack+2250xl
Ok so I tired tournament book and guess what it takes ages to make the first move, which then makes me feel like it's not even using a book, so I switched back to full book, and now have also switched to selective search and the game for the first time ended in a draw as opposed to 3 losses with brute search on. Thx for your help.
TracySMiller

Millenium King Performance leads 8.5-1.5

Post by TracySMiller »

After ten games the Millennium King Performance leads the TASC R40 8.5-1.5.