Who is who

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Steve B wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Steve B wrote:hi Sebastian

i am 95 years old and a collector of old dedicated chess computers

i am making posts here as quickly as possible because i will probably be dead very soon
:wink:

Best Regards
Steve
Hi Sebastion, Hi Steve!

I joined per request of Steve B who said he'd put me in his will if I promptly signed up and lavished him with praise! :wink:

Great Place, I'm Humbled by Your Invitation Steve, and Congratulations to You Steve for acquiring the position of Moderator along with being the....

Founding Father of Dedicated Chess Computers Regards,
Terry
welcome Terry
and thanks for those kind words

now where do i make the Paypal Payment Regards?
Steve
:lol:

I'll let you know Your Excellence when I create a Paypal account :wink:

But First I'll Bring You Your Medicine Regards,
Terry :D
Daniel Mehrmann

Re: Who is who

Post by Daniel Mehrmann »

gerold wrote:
Sebastian Boehme wrote:Hi chessfriends,
I always find that this world nowadays is moving so fast and that one does not really get to know about who the other really is or what they do.

Therefore I felt like opening this thread.
The idea of this thread is that everyone writes a little bit about themselves (you do not have to share your most private secrets here of course, just the normal stuff)
Let me give you an example by myself:

My name is Sebastian as you can see and I am currently 25 years of age. I am a student of special texts translation and in my freetime I am very addicted to both chess and poker.
Furthermore I got a very annoying sister and nice parents.
The town where I live in is called Bernburg (Germany) and has approximately 30000 inhabitants. One would call it a rather quiet town, for German standards.

Now give it a try fellows and post something about yourselves too.

Regards,
Sebastian
Good idea Sebastian.
Professinal Engineer. 27 yrs. old. Love chess and all forms of chess.
Many hobbies farming,sawmilling,hunting,fishing,swimming,hiking,biking,
artist heavy oils,to name a few.
Living on my 1 square mile farm and woodland in the heart of the
Ozarks in Missouri.

Good luck,
Gerold.
Wow, living with a 1 square mile farm sounds pretty cool. Well, i'm a professional developer as well, developing taxes software, but i'm living in 70qm apartment. :cry:

What i'm doing wrong ? :roll:

Best,
Daniel
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

OK my turn...........

Well I'm a 35 year old accountant now living in the Midlands of the UK.

Been fascinated by chess computers and programs since I got my first Spectrum :D in fact my first engine/engine match was Martin Bryants' Colossus 4 versus Cyrus II (which I think was Richard Lang?), which after hours of tournament play ended in a 18 game draw! :shock:

My biggest regret is buying a rather spangly Team Marin mountain bike instead of a Tasc R30 v2.5......... the bike now sits unloved in the garage whereas the computer would still in use :cry:

I'm lucky enough to do the odd bit of testing for Martin now and again on the new UCI Colossus which is kinda like helping my childhood hero :D :D

Of course if any other authors need a few thousand games playing on a modest dual core FX60 then please just let me know..........

Oh and my names Paul!
Heinz

Post by Heinz »

Hi all :) ,

I am from Cologne, Germany and member of the CEGT team, currently testing Hiarcs 11.2 with different time controls, for example also 40/120.

My interest in computer chess arose with dedicated units in 1980 and never ceased since then, so I am especially happy to see Steve as a mod here.

Just saw that two other CEGT team members already registered and so I hope we can make some fine contributions here without spamming this forum of course. Results will be Hiarcs related and the regular updates of the different rating lists will be done as usual by Werner here. Maybe I tell something about our tournament time control matches involving Hiarcs versions from time to time, still do not know.

Wishing you all a lot of fun with our hobby and this forum a lot of success. Some for Marc and future Hiarcs versions.

Best Regards
Heinz
Last edited by Heinz on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Heinz wrote:Hi all :) ,

I am from Cologne, Germany and member of the CEGT team, currently testing Hiarcs 11.2 with different time controls, for example also 40/120.

My interest in computer chess arose with dedicated units in 1980 and never ceased since then, so I am especially happy to see Steve as a mod here.

Just saw that two other CEGT team members already registered and so I hope we can make some fine contributions here without spamming this forum of course. Results will be Hiarcs related and the regular updates of the different rating lists will be done as usual by Werner here. Maybe I tell something about our tournament control matches from time to time, still do not know.

Wishing you all a lot of fun with our hobby.

Best Regards
Heinz
hi Heinz
welcome and thanks for the kind words
the CEGT is MOST welcome here and your results are of course HIGHLY respected Worldwide
the more your group posts here the better and you will NEVER be thought of as Spamming the board

Warmest Regards
Steve
Daniel Mehrmann

Post by Daniel Mehrmann »

Steve B wrote:
Heinz wrote:Hi all :) ,

Just saw that two other CEGT team members already registered and so I hope we can make some fine contributions here without spamming this forum of course. Results will be Hiarcs related and the regular updates of the different rating lists will be done as usual by Werner here. Maybe I tell something about our tournament control matches from time to time, still do not know.

Wishing you all a lot of fun with our hobby.

Best Regards
Heinz
hi Heinz
welcome and thanks for the kind words
the CEGT is MOST welcome here and your results are of course HIGHLY respected Worldwide
the more your group posts here the better and you will NEVER be thought of as Spamming the board

Warmest Regards
Steve
Fully agree ! CEGT doing a great job is my favorite rating list anyway. 8)

I'm pretty sure Steve will do a great job as well. Welcome in the mod world, which is not easy always. :wink:
Heinz

Post by Heinz »

Hi Daniel :) ,

thanks for your kind words.

We always hope that especially engine authors follow our tournaments and matches, because after all they offer to us what gives us a lot of fun.

As I wished Marc a lot of success with future Hiarcs versions the same to you regarding Homer.

Best Regards
Heinz
lilux

Post by lilux »

Hi all,

I'm Olaf from Hannover, Germany and I am 39 years old. I enjoy Computer Chess, Music and reading Books.

Regards
Olaf
kralisec

mip mip ...

Post by kralisec »

This is for me,

I'm French, 38'years old, I leave near Belgium/Luxembourg border,
I really like chess playing, Hiarcs'1550 ELO level is my horizon :(
IT support and linux user, I pass much of my time reading books: lots SF, Dunes ...

Good day,
Laurent.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

AMD64inside wrote:HIARCS 3 was my first PC program purchase after I had the pleasure to play against it in a weekend chess congress in 1994. Operated by Mark Uniacke the computer on a P90 if I remeber correctly, sac'd its Queen and went on to win an exciting game. I became a fan of HIARCS from that day.
Darrell, I remember that game well too, it was the first public tournament of HIARCS 3 and yes was running on a P90 (about 6000nps). Held in Bury St Edmunds, Hiarcs was leading the tournament with 4/4 going into the last round against you. Although you were not the strongest player Hiarcs faced in the tournament you certainly gave Hiarcs its hardest game and I think at some points you may have been winning. Although you will know the complexities were incredible and I think even titled players would have found it difficult.

It was nerve wracking enough and I was only operating the game! :shock:

If you get chance post the game, I am sure people would be interested in it.

Best wishes,
Mark
Robert Weck

Post by Robert Weck »

Hi,

I'm from Ratisbon, Germany, 43 years old and got my first chess computer for X-mas 1978 (Chess Champion MK I; the Fidelity CC1 was not available here)

Since 1990 i was more interested in PC chess, because the programs became stronger than the dedicated computers (and were much cheaper!)

Since 2003 i got back to the dedicated ones; but i think, PC engines still have the right to live; at least they are good for analyzing the games of my dedicated computers... :lol:

tolerant regards,
Robert
Beryllo

Post by Beryllo »

Hello!

My name is Frank and I am living in lovely Trier in Germany. Started with a Mephisto Exclusive MM IV a little bit more than 20 years, half my life ago. As a MacUser HIARCS was clearly first choice later, but nevertheless liked it more than other programs tested with friends. It has style! :) So I am using HIARCS on my Mac and Palm as well now.
Beside chess I like very much music, photography and hiking.
Kind regards, Frank
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Hi Ya'all

Glad to see another forum where I can read up on a favorite pastime.

My name is Spacious Mind but you may also call me Nick :D . I live in Birmingham - Alabama somewhere way down in the south eastern end of USA. I guess I can call it home since I have lived here now for 16 years or so.

I have dislexia and memory lapses so don't ask me how old I am because I won't remember :wink:

My first dedicated chess computer was the Novag Chess Champion MK III which I bought in Germany around 1979 and which I promptly verbally and physically trashed and after a few games. So anyway years later here I am enjoying chess computers (as well as my current MK III).

I don't own a cellphone nor a palm and probably never will because once I leave my workplace my time remains my own (sorry Hiarcs :D ). Still it is great to be here to read up on all the tidbits that the experts may share on dedicated chess computers and old computer chess software.

Best regards

Nick
Nick
Bonario

Post by Bonario »

Hi everybody,
my name is Julius, 34 years old and come from Iceland, but currently living in Copenhagen, Denmark.
I use Hiarcs on my palm, both for playing and analyzing on the go. However, I don't have a long history playing with chess computers, like most of you.
I'm happy to be a part of this forum and hope that I'll be able to contribute something to it :)
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Robert Weck wrote:Hi,

I'm from Ratisbon, Germany, 43 years old and got my first chess computer for X-mas 1978 (Chess Champion MK I; the Fidelity CC1 was not available here)

Since 1990 i was more interested in PC chess, because the programs became stronger than the dedicated computers (and were much cheaper!)

Since 2003 i got back to the dedicated ones; but i think, PC engines still have the right to live; at least they are good for analyzing the games of my dedicated computers... :lol:

tolerant regards,
Robert
hi Robert
welcome to the future of dedicated chess computers

here is an email i received from Nelson a few weeks ago:

Dear Mr Blincoe,

FYI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_H6uIQPjvQ

so you see even the legends of our hobby have a sense of humor
:P

Disco Dancing Regards
Steve