Hiarcs 12

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Wardy wrote:I've just been re-reading Selective Search and it comments in there that the Chessbase version will have both the single and multiple thread on one disc? Has this idea been discarded?

Regards

Paul
That was a misprint and was never the intention.
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Fair enough, it did seem a little bold!
Albitex

Re: Hiarcs 12

Post by Albitex »

Harvey Williamson wrote:Hello All,

" If you buy the CB version you will of course also get a serial number for 1 years use of Playchess.com"
Harvey
If I buy Hiarcs 12 of your site, on line , will I have 1 year on Playchess ?
I have expired the subscription to Playchess. I have to decide whether to renew it or to buy another program. Is there the GUI in the Hiarcs 12 packet ?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Albitex wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:Hello All,

" If you buy the CB version you will of course also get a serial number for 1 years use of Playchess.com"
Harvey
If I buy Hiarcs 12 of your site, on line , will I have 1 year on Playchess ?
I have expired the subscription to Playchess. I have to decide whether to renew it or to buy another program. Is there the GUI in the Hiarcs 12 packet ?
You only get a serial number with the CB product. The CB Product will also come with the latest CB GUI.

If you buy the UCI engine, direct from us, you get engine + book only.
Albitex

Hiarcs 12

Post by Albitex »

I am go now on Hiarcs.com site . But I have not red link to Hiarcs 12, but
only Hiarcs 11. ?
Does the site perhaps have to be up-to-date still?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Albitex wrote:I am go now on Hiarcs.com site . But I have not red link to Hiarcs 12, but
only Hiarcs 11. ?
Does the site perhaps have to be up-to-date still?
yes we will update it as soon as the engine is available - in a few days
bnemais

Post by bnemais »

Harvey Williamson wrote: HIARCS 12 System Requirments:
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: Minimum: Pentium 300 MHz, 64 MB RAM, Windows Vista or XP (SP 2), DVD ROM drive, Windows Media Player 9.
Recommended: Pentium IV 2.2 GHz or higher, 256 MB RAM, Windows Vista, GeForce5 or compatible graphics card with 64 MB RAM or higher, 100% DirectX compatible sound card, Windows Media Player 9, DVD ROM drive.
Why does it need XP SP2 or Vista, GeForce5, DVD, WMP, etc?

I might be interested in the UCI version, but if it has exotic needs for a chess engine (needs which won't work in Windows 2000 or Linux under wine) then forget it.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

bnemais wrote:
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: Minimum: Pentium 300 MHz, 64 MB RAM, Windows Vista or XP (SP 2), DVD ROM drive, Windows Media Player 9.
Recommended: Pentium IV 2.2 GHz or higher, 256 MB RAM, Windows Vista, GeForce5 or compatible graphics card with 64 MB RAM or higher, 100% DirectX compatible sound card, Windows Media Player 9, DVD ROM drive.

I might be interested in the UCI version, but if it has exotic needs for a chess engine (needs which won't work in Windows 2000 or Linux under wine) then forget it.
That is what CB say for their version.
Henrik Dinesen

Post by Henrik Dinesen »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
bnemais wrote:

What's striking is the recommendation of Vista... Experience among ever so many, using chess-progs or not, is that Vista mean trouble... stick to XP if you use windows is the bottomline. ( A bit tired of getting Vista-friends in the phone with preblems).
Anyway, sometimes it actually works ;) But surely, if I was employeed in CB I would mention XP as one of the recommendations.

Just a remark.

Nest :)

PS: Still going for Hiarcs UCI
bnemais

Post by bnemais »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
bnemais wrote: Why does it need XP SP2 or Vista, GeForce5, DVD, WMP, etc?

Well, I can understand that CB might have specific needs for DirectX. I could care less about CB, I won't touch anything CB with a 10' pole. But I'd like to know if Hiarcs 12 uses any new API calls that might not work in earlier versions than XP SP2. I have had no problems with any 32 bit engine I've tried under wine, even running Rybka 64 bit (with microwine) faster in Linux than on 64-bit windows. So it would be a horrible shame to suddenly have Hiarcs incompatible with the basic Win32 API.

Alternatively, if I buy Hiarcs 12 UCI, knowing full well I don't meet the system requirements listed earlier, and DO find it incompatible, then may I get a refund?

Personally, I'd rather know in advance than even attempting a refund.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

bnemais wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
bnemais wrote: Why does it need XP SP2 or Vista, GeForce5, DVD, WMP, etc?

Well, I can understand that CB might have specific needs for DirectX. I could care less about CB, I won't touch anything CB with a 10' pole. But I'd like to know if Hiarcs 12 uses any new API calls that might not work in earlier versions than XP SP2. I have had no problems with any 32 bit engine I've tried under wine, even running Rybka 64 bit (with microwine) faster in Linux than on 64-bit windows. So it would be a horrible shame to suddenly have Hiarcs incompatible with the basic Win32 API.

Alternatively, if I buy Hiarcs 12 UCI, knowing full well I don't meet the system requirements listed earlier, and DO find it incompatible, then may I get a refund?

Personally, I'd rather know in advance than even attempting a refund.
From the Hiarcs website:

HIARCS UCI is a chess engine and is available by software download only. HIARCS UCI requires a PC running MS Windows 95, 98, ME, NT4, 2000, XP or Vista with a UCI compatible GUI (a Graphical User Interface is not included in the package). We recommend the excellent free Arena GUI v1.1 which supports UCI chess engines like HIARCS UCI. Alternatively other quality GUIs supporting UCI chess engines can be separately purchased e.g. Arena, Fritz, Chessbase, Chess Assistant, Shredder, Chess Partner etc
Boye

Limited Strength

Post by Boye »

I know the UCI engine has this feature of limited strength. Does anybody know if this feature will be available in the CB version under the parameters? Or is it only via the handicap mode?

Best Regards

Henrik
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: Limited Strength

Boye wrote:I know the UCI engine has this feature of limited strength. Does anybody know if this feature will be available in the CB version under the parameters? Or is it only via the handicap mode?

Best Regards

Henrik
CB have their own version of handicap which is controlled by the GUI.
Steffelino

Post by Steffelino »

When can I read on the website that H 12 is out?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Steffelino wrote:When can I read on the website that H 12 is out?
Keep reading this thread it will be here 1st.