Hiarcs 12

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

mclane

Post by mclane »

As a uci owner is there any possibility to get the CB H12 book?
?

why ?
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Andrew wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Andrew wrote:http://hiarcs.com/pc_uci_options.htm suggests the option
"Sharpen PV" should be on for one minute per move and longer.

Does this make a significant difference in strength?

Andrew
Thats what we are hoping you and other testers will tell us ;-)
Well if anyone can suggest a good neutral book to use I'll give it a go at
90'+1' using H12 with it on and off and Rybka latest in a 3 way tournament.
Be warned it may take a while to get a decent number!!

This will be on a single cpu.
There are quite a few good neutral books. The latest perfect.ctg or the latest Harry Schnapp books are both good.

Have a look here http://www.enginechess.com/openingbooks.htm for some.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

mclane wrote:
As a uci owner is there any possibility to get the CB H12 book?
?

why ?
The CB book is browsable!

Andrew
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Andrew wrote:http://hiarcs.com/pc_uci_options.htm suggests the option
"Sharpen PV" should be on for one minute per move and longer.

Does this make a significant difference in strength?

Andrew
Thats what we are hoping you and other testers will tell us ;-)
Well if anyone can suggest a good neutral book to use I'll give it a go at
90'+1' using H12 with it on and off and Rybka latest in a 3 way tournament.
Be warned it may take a while to get a decent number!!

This will be on a single cpu.
There are quite a few good neutral books. The latest perfect.ctg or the latest Harry Schnapp books are both good.

Have a look here http://www.enginechess.com/openingbooks.htm for some.
Thanks Harvey, I'll be running some trial games tonight and will also include rybka with slightly optimistic.

Andrew
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Dylan Sharp wrote:Hiarcs 12 arrived! I want to thank Mark Uniacke for this great engine! :D
Hi Dylan,

I love your new logo. I was wondering if you could send it to me as a bmp file of the image 100x50. So we can offer it as a download for customers to use as an alternative Hiarcs logo.

Thanks,
Harvey
Dylan Sharp

Post by Dylan Sharp »

Harvey Williamson wrote:I was wondering if you could send it to me as a bmp file of the image 100x50.
Of course, but the transparency will be lost when converted to BMP. Any idea for a good background that the logo should have? :)
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Dylan Sharp wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:I was wondering if you could send it to me as a bmp file of the image 100x50.
Of course, but the transparency will be lost when converted to BMP. Any idea for a good background that the logo should have? :)
Send us what you think is best!
bnemais

Post by bnemais »

bnemais wrote: Why does it need XP SP2 or Vista, GeForce5, DVD, WMP, etc?

I might be interested in the UCI version, but if it has exotic needs for a chess engine (needs which won't work in Windows 2000 or Linux under wine) then forget it.
I just wanted to say that I bought the MP UCI version, and it works fine in wine under linux on a Q6600.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

bnemais wrote:
bnemais wrote: Why does it need XP SP2 or Vista, GeForce5, DVD, WMP, etc?

I might be interested in the UCI version, but if it has exotic needs for a chess engine (needs which won't work in Windows 2000 or Linux under wine) then forget it.
I just wanted to say that I bought the MP UCI version, and it works fine in wine under linux on a Q6600.
Thanks - that is good to know.
Jack Clark

Sigma Chess HIARCS 12 MP

Post by Jack Clark »

Glad to hear 12 is so well-received by the PC people. I eagerly await--but am not pushing you guys for--Sigma Chess HIARCS 12 MP. I'm not sure why, though. Version 11.2 MP already shows Elo 2980 on my equipment, which is great for analysis and almost twice what I'm rated. So . . . unless I'm into computer vs. computer battles, what more do I need?

Can't help it, though. I've gotta have the latest HIARCS. Big fan here, too. :)
Jack Clark
Idyllwild, California
Henrik Dinesen

Post by Henrik Dinesen »

So . . . unless I'm into computer vs. computer battles, what more do I need?
The big boys in black suits tells me, that they're been tolled to tell us to pay our taxes... ;)

Seriously, with any engine, and any general software, you need procedures to achieve whatever you wish... What is it?
I agree, if all you want is to become a GM, you could do with Hiarcs 11 or many engines below as analytical parthers...
PortCitySlim

Upgrading Hiarcs 12

Post by PortCitySlim »

I am thinking about ordering the CB version of Deep Hiarcs 12 tommorow and was wondering how you obtain updates such as 12.2(if or whenever it comes out) Can updates be installed from this site or do they have to be bought again?
Also I have read on other forums that Haircs 12 is getting pounded in speed/blitz chess games by not only Rybka but Naum3 and Zappa II, is this true? I also saw Haircs 12 MP on the CEGT 4/40 MP ratings list as number 3 at 2968 behind Naum 3 and Rybka 2.3.2a. Is Hiarcs 12 realistically going to compete with Rybka 2.3.2a. I want to purchase one of the CB programs since I have not got a good GUI, Deep Hiarcs 12($130) is the newest but I was wondering if I would save money and have a stronger engine I just bought Fritz 11($50) and then installed the Rybka 2.3.2a MP UCI($73)?
PortCitySlim

Post by PortCitySlim »

The reason why I asked the above question about updating the CB Hiarcs 12 is because I got a really good deal on Fritz 11($42) and if the CB H12 is not upgradeable then I plan to just buy Fritz 11 and then get the UCI from you guys and install it into the GUI of Fritz. I am not sure but buying Fritz then the H12 MP UCI is going to give me exactly the same thing as buying the CB deep H12(correct me if I am wrong)? The CB H12 MP would cost me about $130 and Fritz and your MP UCI would cost me about $142 but I would have the Fritz engine as an extra. I just really want the Chessbase GUI but dont want to be left out on any updates such as 12.1 when it comes out. If anyone knows what advice to give I would greatly appreciate it.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

PortCitySlim wrote:The reason why I asked the above question about updating the CB Hiarcs 12 is because I got a really good deal on Fritz 11($42) and if the CB H12 is not upgradeable then I plan to just buy Fritz 11 and then get the UCI from you guys and install it into the GUI of Fritz. I am not sure but buying Fritz then the H12 MP UCI is going to give me exactly the same thing as buying the CB deep H12(correct me if I am wrong)? The CB H12 MP would cost me about $130 and Fritz and your MP UCI would cost me about $142 but I would have the Fritz engine as an extra. I just really want the Chessbase GUI but dont want to be left out on any updates such as 12.1 when it comes out. If anyone knows what advice to give I would greatly appreciate it.
You can of course buy H12 or Deep H12 from CB and this will give you the GUI + engine + book. If there is an update to UCI customers I would hope that CB would also offer the same upgrade but I can not be 100% sure about this.

Best wishes,
Harvey
PortCitySlim

Post by PortCitySlim »

Thank you Harvey, www.chesscentral.com(who I plan to buy H12 from) just informed me that the CB version will be updated through the playchess.com account for as long as you own the product.