Hiarcs 12

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Henrik Dinesen

Post by Henrik Dinesen »

PortCitySlim wrote:Thank you Harvey, www.chesscentral.com(who I plan to buy H12 from) just informed me that the CB version will be updated through the playchess.com account for as long as you own the product.
Yes true - but that GUI - with regard to engine, I think it's more uncertain, since CB has a tradition of not "confusing" their customers - the upgrades of engines usually comes when there's some significant bugfixes, or a relative increase in strenght, but not enough for a new release. Though, following the updates of the UCI may be something complely new to CB, and maybe the'll copy the procedure... I wouldn't bet on it.
turbojuice1122

Post by turbojuice1122 »

For those of you living under a rock and not knowing the news, Rybka 3 has been released.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

turbojuice1122 wrote:For those of you living under a rock and not knowing the news, Rybka 3 has been released.
what day is it today i wonder?
:P

btw..in the future a good rule of thumb would be for you to make all original posts here first..then link to Hiarcs at whatever other sites you happen to stumble into next

Proper Net Etiquette Regards
Steve
turbojuice1122

Post by turbojuice1122 »

Sorry Steve, but I'm a Rybka fan through and through. This off-wing Hiarcs site isn't too bad, though...

Actually, I was kind of proud of some of those pictures in my link, especially the last one. I would have made a good dozen, though, if I had more time--I wished that I had prepared them earlier, as I had the idea and plan in mind for a number of months.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

thats Ok Turbo
perhaps the original post does belong on that forum after all
i see the first diagram is of a chess Variant..and like all fringe forums the Rybka Forum does seem to have a fixation with variants of the normal game
what with pawn odds..knight odds..time odds .. and god knows what else next ..odds ..

Hiarcs..For All OF Your Real Chess Needs Regards
Steve
:wink:
turbojuice1122

Post by turbojuice1122 »

Steve B wrote: and god knows what else next ..odds ..
King odds
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

turbojuice1122 wrote:King odds
actually Turbo..
some of the early chess computers could play with King Odds

this is taken from Tim Krabbe's excellent chess page..
diary entry 287..
http://www.xs4all.nl/~timkr/chess/chess.html

287. 23 May 2005: Father Knows Best (computers can't play chess, ct'd)

One of my first computer opponents, back in the early 80ties, was a certain Chess Champion MK I. When I accidentally made an illegal move against it, it simply played on, which gave me the idea to start with 1.Rh1xh8 in the next game. Probably seeing its Ng8 was attacked, it played 1...Nf6 - a blunder, as this allowed 2.Ng1xg7 mate. The champion acknowledged the mate; its window said: LOSE. In the next game, I opened with 1.Bc1xe8, hoping to settle the question of the shortest game forever. But Chess Champion MK I did not comply - it played 1...Qd8xe8, somehow leaving me without a plan.

[fen]rnb1qbnr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/RN1QKBNR w KQ - 0 1[/fen]

i wonder what the forum team would play here regards

Steve
Dylan Sharp

Post by Dylan Sharp »

Steve B wrote:i wonder what the forum team would play here regards

Steve
For sure the team would be split into two moves, and I'd have to make the final decision :P
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Dylan Sharp wrote:
Steve B wrote:i wonder what the forum team would play here regards

Steve
For sure the team would be split into two moves, and I'd have to make the final decision :P
:lol:
Dylan..Your Sense of humor is now at the Super GM Level Regards
Steve
DarienSar

Post by DarienSar »

You can't win against a strong opponent like that without a long range plan. I think we should play Nb1xe8 next followed by Ng1xh8. At first I thought of using pawns for these exchanges, but then I remembered that we can promote them to queens once we have created a safe square on the 8th rank.

Darien

P.S. Of course El Capitán, the vote will be tied often enough; we don't want you to feel left out. :wink:
Vempele

Post by Vempele »

Tim Krabbe wrote:In the next game, I opened with 1.Bc1xe8, hoping to settle the question of the shortest game forever. But Chess Champion MK I did not comply - it played 1...Qd8xe8, somehow leaving me without a plan.
The shortest game would be 1. Qd3 Qxc1#.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

DarienSar wrote:You can't win against a strong opponent like that without a long range plan. I think we should play Nb1xe8 next followed by Ng1xh8. At first I thought of using pawns for these exchanges, but then I remembered that we can promote them to queens once we have created a safe square on the 8th rank.

Darien

P.S. Of course El Capitán, the vote will be tied often enough; we don't want you to feel left out. :wink:
i would like to do a Turbo here and play...1.h2-h8=N
I think this might freeze all of Turbo's Rybkas here because i think that some of the released for sale versions dont understand underpromotion??

Game Over Regards
Steve
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Vempele wrote:
Tim Krabbe wrote:In the next game, I opened with 1.Bc1xe8, hoping to settle the question of the shortest game forever. But Chess Champion MK I did not comply - it played 1...Qd8xe8, somehow leaving me without a plan.
The shortest game would be 1. Qd3 Qxc1.
i think we should wait a bit before making this move and see how 1.Qd3 Raxc1# looks to the engines

Pondering Regards
Steve
turbojuice1122

Post by turbojuice1122 »

Dylan Sharp wrote:
And as usual, this would probably result in a TIME FORFEIT.
Dylan Sharp

Post by Dylan Sharp »

I never apologized about the time forfeit because I couldn't find the right words, and I still haven't. I am shocked, and still can't understand how that happened. I was online, around, and yet, I didn't post the move in time. I tried to use the 48 hours to their max extent and went overboard. That cost us the game.

Strangely, I did not receive one, not even one negative comment from a team member about the issue, my punishment is my feelings and guilt, that I failed, and they are brought back every time turbo mentions the lose on time.

I didn't want to mix this with the discussion about what really matters about the game: the moves, but as this is an outside thread I'll take my chance to say it:

Sorry.

Truth is, I would have not claimed the win on time, if turbo went over the limit. The day in where he really took long to move and I was afraid that he couldn't make it on time, I decided that I would adjourn the game before turbo was forfeited on time, and wait for him to come back and continue the game.

That "I won on time" boasting remind me of Pablo, with his claims that he beat an engine with his anti-chess, when the GUI couldn't keep up with the lag and premoves and lost on time. In this case, The Captain had a bug.