"Specific Elo Rating or Category" versus "Max

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Jack Clark

"Specific Elo Rating or Category" versus "Max

Post by Jack Clark »

I'm running Sigma Chess 6.1.5 HIARCS 11.2 MP on a MacBook with 2 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo and 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

When I select "Specific Elo Rating or Category" under "HIARCS 11.2 MP Rating" under "Level," and then move the slider to the extreme maximum position, it shows an Elo of 2890 next to the Black Knight in the icon tray at the bottom of the game window. This is the maximum I can select under "Specific Elo Rating or Category." Now when the engine is thinking during a game, it typically shows that it is calculating at about 95,000 nodes per second.

BUT, instead, when I select "Maximum Strength" under "HIARCS 11.2 MP Rating" under "Level," it shows no Elo rating next to the Black Knight in the icon tray at the bottom of the game window, just the word "Max." However, 2890 still shows under "Specifc Elo Rating or Category." even though it is no longer selected. But now when the engine is thinking during a game, it typically shows that it is calculating at about 440,000 nodes per second.

This is about 4.5 times as many nodes per second as when I set the "Specific Elo Rating or Category" slider to the maximum rating.

My question is: Could HIARCS 11.2 MP really be calculating 4.5 times faster when I select "Max" instead of "Specific Elo Rating or Categor" set to its maximum point? If so, does that translate into stronger play? How much in Elo? If not, do you have any idea why it is doing this?

Very curious. Thanks very much.

Jack Clark
Idyllwild, California
Jack Clark
Idyllwild, California
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Hi Jack,

Yes Hiarcs 11.2 MP is best set on maximum strength. The set elo levels are all reductions in performance because it is trying to emulate a certain standard of chess. If you want the best performance please do not use the specific elo rating levels.

Maximum Strength is the best setting.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Jack Clark

The Maximum Strength setting

Post by Jack Clark »

Thanks for the quick response, Mark.

Wow! If HIARCS 11.2 MP is rated at 2890 when it's thinking at 95k n/s, I can't imagine what it must be rated when it's thinking at 440k n/s. It boggles the mind!

Not that I need a higher Elo to play against--I almost never play against HIARCS--I use it on Monitor for analysis almost all the time, several hours a day, on average. A great tool, especially now that Ole has added MultiPV to his GUI.

Thanks, again.
Jack Clark
Idyllwild, California