hiarcs in the Ipod TOUCH ?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
mclane

hiarcs in the Ipod TOUCH ?

Post by mclane »

looks like a nice hardware IMO for computerchess...

i would prefer playing chess on the IPOD TOUCH instead of the IPHONE because i don't like the micro-wave radiation the mobiles pollute arround the device.

but the ipod touch looks really interesting for computerchess, especially
since it has WLAN for internet! 320 x 480...

Could Mark make Hiarcs running on this machine ??

What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Thanks, looks like a nice machine, I will look into it ...
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
mclane

Post by mclane »

in CCC someone posted that the iphone runs with 620 mhz Intel CPU.
i don't know if this is true. also i don't know if the ipod touch uses similar hardware. BUT IMO if this is true, it would be a very good idea to port (if this is possible) hiarcs into it.

It would be a cool new kind of PDA chess computer with internet access via WLAN !

especially since it costs less than the iphone and is not polluting the air or my brain with micro-waves while i am using it.
also the price and the RAM is cool IMO.

its like a high end PDA/Palm, only it has a better design and no Windows OS.

one could play chess and listen music while playing.
another idea would be that one could read this forum here if WLAN is near.

there is a shredder version but it seems it is a java engine. and this says indirectly that shredder for iphone cannot be that strong or professional.

so why not hiarcs ?
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

mclane wrote:its like a high end PDA/Palm,
It could have been, but at least for the moment, it is not. The iPod Touch (like the iPhone) is a closed device. It ships with a limited set of applications from Apple, and there is no official way for third-party developers to write and install new applications on it. This is different from PalmOS and PocketPC, where everyone can download a software development kit and start programming. Unless Apple decides to open their device to third-party developers, it won't be possible to write a chess program for it without lots of hacking and reverse engineering (and even if someone does succeed in such a feat, their programs may stop working after the next software update from Apple).
there is a shredder version but it seems it is a java engine. and this says indirectly that shredder for iphone cannot be that strong or professional.
The Shredder for iPhone is not a native program, but just a web application, which can be used on any platform which includes a reasonably modern web browser.

Tord