Optimizing Hiarcs 12 MP

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

PortCitySlim

Post by PortCitySlim »

Dark Horse wrote:my Deep HIARCS 12 came today, I'm getting about 1250 Kn/Sec in complex positions and about 1400 - 1600 Kn/Sec in open middle game positions and about 2400 Kn/Sec in end games with a fair amount of material, so I think my hardware is pretty good, I ran a couple of test positions and I am impressed (I use the engine only for analysis and preparation not for engine vs engine matches)

when I run Zappa I get about 1100 Kn/Sec for a position where I get 1400 Kn/Sec with Deep HIARCS, but I get almost 3000 Kn/Sec for the same position with Toga 1.4SE 4 CPU version

so maybe the Kn/Sec is not comparable accross engines ? (I read somewhere that Rybka's Kn/Sec value was not comparable)

but I like HIARCS performance in the test positions, it seems to be able to 0 in on the main line pretty fast while Zappa took a bit of time to do the same thing
Wow, that great. What kind of hardware do you have? I have not finished building my quad yet but my AMD Dual 2.2ghz never breaks the 650kn/s mark with Hiarcs and with Toga I only get about 1500. I am sure all that will change when my quad is finished and running at at least 3.6 :D
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

Bobby I have a

Q6600 Quad Core, 2.4GHz, 4GB 800 MHz RAM, no overclocking as I am a noob, will try later and then go for a cooling system
PortCitySlim

Post by PortCitySlim »

Dark Horse wrote:Bobby I have a

Q6600 Quad Core, 2.4GHz, 4GB 800 MHz RAM, no overclocking as I am a noob, will try later and then go for a cooling system
Nice, Q6600 are probably one of the best overclocking quads out there, if you would like to learn you should check out this thread on OC forums it is very helpful for Q6600 owners, with 400mhz RAM and depending on your cooling and motherboard it is not hard to hit at least 3.0-3.4 with that chip

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316
ZZiplex

Post by ZZiplex »

I have good results with setting forward pruning to 11 and sharpen pv on.
Specially in short games 2 to 3 minutes. Hiarcs 12 mp crushed Zappa Mexico. (with 8 threads). I only have 2 threads.
Rybka is hard to beat but sometimes I have a draw.