problems installing CB programs on XPx64

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
miodrag popovich

problems installing CB programs on XPx64

Post by miodrag popovich »

After getting additional HD with XPx64 tried to install the latest CB programs.After initial installation and application of registration number program is asking to insert the disk which than it does not recognize so the programs can not be activated.Only a few CB programs I am able to use.Mostly have installed other UCI programs like Rybka, Hiarcs,Naum and Deep Sjeng, but would like to use the latest CB programs like Fritz, Hiarcs,Shredder and Junior.It looks that Zap!chess is the only one that has 64 bit program but I can only use Zappa Mexico because original Zap! program I can not activate because of disk not being able to be recognized as original although all the discs I have tried to install are original.
I would appreciate if someone has a solution for this problem
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

All CB programs I know work very well with XP x64. You have to install them into the folder "Program Files (x86)".
Watchman
Hiarcs Team Member

Post by Watchman »

I have to 2nd what Lukas said...

I have used XP x64 exclusively for 2 years now... I install to the "default" directory (I try to do that as a rule with all programs, which as Lukas said, is the C:\Program Files (x86)\ directory in this case ). Fritz 7, Fritz 8 and DF 10 I have never had a problem with.

If this had been just one dvd, I would have recommended cleaning it (you might try that anyway :? ).

Rob
miodrag popovich

Post by miodrag popovich »

I would like to thank Watchman and Lukas for their great help.Reading those two posts I have discovered that after installing so many programs I did not pay attention where the "default" installations was sending some of the programs.Some of them were not sent to Program Files x86 and that's how things got messed up.
After removing them and installing them in the CB folder in the Program Files x86 all of them are now working just fine.
Thanks again ,guys.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Lukas wrote:You have to install them into the folder "Program Files (x86)".
Hi, Funny thing is I use xp64 and never install anything in the `program Files (X86)` folder ... It should make no difference, some programs do not give you a choice and install in the X86 file by default

Regards
Watchman
Hiarcs Team Member

Post by Watchman »

The Wizard wrote:Hi, Funny thing is I use xp64 and never install anything in the `program Files (X86)` folder ... It should make no difference
I would think the same thing too, but my "past readings" on this subject suggest there is some sort of voodoo magic at work and one should stay with default install location so that everything works and plays well together.

The one exception in my case is I have MS Flight Sim X on a 3ware raid array (as it has the need for speed :-P ).

You know... I am very hmmm about if this has any relationship to the problems you're having with CB10. Just hmmm that's all. I would be very interested in seeing if I can duplicate your problems. :shock:

Rob
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Watchman wrote:[
You know... I am very hmmm about if this has any relationship to the problems you're having with CB10. Just hmmm that's all. I would be very interested in seeing if I can duplicate your problems. :shock:

Rob
Hi Rob, I have CB10 also on a laptop in the default folder and can reproduce the probs ... You have to remember I have had CB9 (all chessbases in fact from the beginning) for years and it has worked perfectly which begs the question what has changed??? ... I think CB altered the seach booster in some way to apparently speed up searching etc. A lot of the problems are with larger bases although simply copying a few games to a larger DB takes a lot longer than it used especially if you take the tick out in pic 1 Image ... Also if you have a DB in this case one that is just to sort data and it only has say 4 games when you delete those 4 games and the DB is empty you get Pic 2 Image pop up which seems odd to me because the database is empty but yet there seems to be some need for a search booster of some sort? .... Chessbase have acknowleged the problems such as the wrong stats being shown at times etc

If you can or cannot reproduce all or some probs please post as it helps as you know to find out if it is the software or human error ..

I am using CB10 all the time it just needs a patch (only 1 we hope) Chessbase are a pain because they do not seem to produce a change log to show what has been changed which would help with a bit of 2-way communication

Regards
Tony
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

The Wizard wrote:
Lukas wrote:You have to install them into the folder "Program Files (x86)".
Hi, Funny thing is I use xp64 and never install anything in the `program Files (X86)` folder ... It should make no difference, some programs do not give you a choice and install in the X86 file by default

Regards
If you install 32 bit Chessbase programs on XP x64 into "Program Files" (without x86) they are treated as 64 bit programs. They simply don't work.

Regards,
Lukas
Vempele

Post by Vempele »

Lukas wrote:If you install 32 bit Chessbase programs on XP x64 into "Program Files" (without x86) they are treated as 64 bit programs.
Utterly incorrect. :roll:
They simply don't work.
That's slightly more believable. They'd have trouble seeing Program Files.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Hi, I simply put them directly on C drive unless they install somewhere by default ... We all have our ways of doing things and if programs had!! to be in one particular place then you would not be given the choice when installing :) The Pic is my C drive on this x64 comp

Regards

Watchman
Hiarcs Team Member

Post by Watchman »

The Wizard wrote:You have to remember I have had CB9... it has worked perfectly which begs the question what has changed???
Well, as long as you haven't added any new programs or service packs/updates/installed new drivers and haven't shut off any of the default services (or get into the registry to make "tweaks" :-P )... I suppose nothing.

From my understanding, when XP x64 SP2 was released on WU, O&O Defrag and nVidia took a lot of heat for their products when in fact it was the HAL that wasn't being updated correctly. I also experienced "problems" with O&O Defrag 8.5 on my Quad (the original x64 XP disk doesn't have SP2 slipstreamed). Having used O&O Defrag 8.5 using a recently purchased x64 XP disk with SP2 included/slipstreamed (after having done a clean install) leads me to believe this is an MS issue. How was I to know I didn't have "full" SP2 support :shock: (ah the trials and tribulations of a do-it-yourself-er). You'll never catch me re-installing XPx64 with a non-slipstreamed SP2 disk. :P

Btw, I'm clear on the repro stuff... I know how important it is / how hard it can be. I beta'd for Vas post 2.1c thru 2.3.2a and also for Ken Salter's AlacrityPC http://www.alacritypc.com (am Great Ozzie in the credits).
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Hi Watchman,
I have service pack 2 installed (ok it is slipstreamed lol) ... I always keep a working image as back up and you can simply by deleting chipset drivers etc (Before you swap out the current motherboard go to device manager and select the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller and select your current storage controller. Right click, select update driver and select install from a list or specific location. click dont search I will choose the driver to install and select the standard dual channel IDE controller. It is sometimes best to when booting for the first time to choose `safe mode` where it can be easier for XP to install drivers and at the same time install the new motherboard drivers) migrate to a completly new motherboard etc without reinstalling everything. Your personal software reinstall seems to take 10 times as long at least as the XP install aggghhh lol :) ... Not sure if a program like Acronis® Snap Deploy can do this??

Regards
Tony