Mexico - Zappa 5.5 v Rybka 4.5- Zappa wins $10,000

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.

Mexico - Who do you WANT to win - not who you think will win?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:56 pm

Zappa
46%
Rybka
39%
I dont care
14%

Total votes: 28

André van Ark

Re: A problem in Mexico

Post by André van Ark »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Zappa will play on my 5355 8 core machine which is similar to the machine that had been ordered.
Hi Harvey,

Good idea! If Zap fails during the first games, just use Hiarcs :idea:

I hope Zappa does not use your book. The Dutch mayo-defence is not suitable for all engines :wink:

Thanks a lot for informing us.

Best wishes,
André
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: A problem in Mexico

Post by Harvey Williamson »

André van Ark wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Zappa will play on my 5355 8 core machine which is similar to the machine that had been ordered.
Hi Harvey,

Good idea! If Zap fails during the first games, just use Hiarcs :idea:

I hope Zappa does not use your book. The Dutch mayo-defence is not suitable for all engines :wink:

Thanks a lot for informing us.

Best wishes,
André
Hi Andre,

If Zappa wins we will reveal that Hiarcs was playing the Mexico match on my machine not Zappa. If Rybka wins it was Zappa 8)

We will try the superior Ketchup opening,

Harvey
wayne lowrance

bah humbug

Post by wayne lowrance »

I do not like this, it appears that remote comps are forced on vas. How do we know all is above board . ? This should have been known before hand. Was Vas and Anothony paying for these, or was Intel loaning them or what ? this happening the day before a tournament stinks all of the way from mexico to Los Angelos. sorry.
With respect Wayne Lowrance
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: bah humbug

wayne lowrance wrote:I do not like this, it appears that remote comps are forced on vas. How do we know all is above board . ? This should have been known before hand. Was Vas and Anothony paying for these, or was Intel loaning them or what ? this happening the day before a tournament stinks all of the way from mexico to Los Angelos. sorry.
With respect Wayne Lowrance
Surely the remote Computers are forced on Vas and Anthony?

The Rybka team were organising the machines which were supposed to have been delivered.

The spec at the start of this thread is what was ordered x2.

Best Wishes,

Harvey
wayne lowrance

remote comps.

Post by wayne lowrance »

O.K. Harvey, I am just terribly dissapointed in the result and still cannot understand why the day before the tournament it is found out. If the comps were ordered by Vas he should have been bugging them and tracking shipment. This does not remove Anthony of responsibility to follow thru.
What bugs me most of all tho, Zappa software is and has been up and running on your box and so no hardware bugs etc in last minute are likely. On the otherhand Vas must scramble to find an equivalent box from some where and when he finds one he has no assurance that the box is clean without issues or etc.
Does this sound accurate and fair to you Harvey. Gosh I am not a trouble maker you may feel free to delete my entire thread if you think it is appropriate.
Regards
Wayne Lowrance
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: remote comps.

wayne lowrance wrote:O.K. Harvey, I am just terribly dissapointed in the result and still cannot understand why the day before the tournament it is found out. If the comps were ordered by Vas he should have been bugging them and tracking shipment. This does not remove Anthony of responsibility to follow thru.
What bugs me most of all tho, Zappa software is and has been up and running on your box and so no hardware bugs etc in last minute are likely. On the otherhand Vas must scramble to find an equivalent box from some where and when he finds one he has no assurance that the box is clean without issues or etc.
Does this sound accurate and fair to you Harvey. Gosh I am not a trouble maker you may feel free to delete my entire thread if you think it is appropriate.
Regards
Wayne Lowrance
Hi Wayne,

First of all you make it sound like the Rybka team have not been practicing for the last weeks in the same way that Zappa have? They know what machines have been ordered and I know that they have access to 8 core machines.

I am not sure in what way Anthony is responsible as he is not even in Mexico and has had nothing to do with acquiring the hardware.

Harvey
wayne lowrance

machines not delivered

Post by wayne lowrance »

Harvey

Well all I wish for at this point is a fair match and may there be no problems for either side Harvey. I dont know if the playing field is level or not at this point. Thank you for hearing me out and quick response(s)
Best regards
Wayne
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Update Thursday 0700

Hi All,

The 1st game will be at 1000 this morning Mexico time. This is I think 4pm in London so 5pm in Europe and 1100 in NY I think!

Zappa is White in Game 1.

The ordered machines may arrive in Mexico in about 4 days. So looks like at least the first few rounds will be played on my machine. I have no details of the remote Rybka hardware.

More updates soon,

Harvey
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Rybka will run on my computer, the details i wrote above. If you want to know more about it, ask me. And, yes indeed, in the last weeks many Rybka tests were running on my computers, and Dagh and Jereoen used one of my computers (a 2x X5355) via remote for improoving the book.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Lukas wrote:Rybka will run on my computer, the details i wrote above. If you want to know more about it, ask me. And, yes indeed, in the last weeks many Rybka tests were running on my computers, and Dagh and Jereoen used one of my computers (a 2x X5355) via remote for improoving the book.
So they will use your 5355 machine? I must admit I find all this quite funny when the Rybka/Convekta team objected to Junior using a machine by remote that would be based at Intel HQ.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

I think, Rybka will run on a 2x X5365 - unless you convince Vas to use one of the 2x X5355s for obtaining equal strength.
I can't communicate with Vas right now, because i'm at work and my private email account doesn't work here. (But surfin' the web does :wink: )

Best regards,
Lukas
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Lukas wrote:I think, Rybka will run on a 2x X5365 - unless you convince Vas to use one of the 2x X5355s for obtaining equal strength.
I can't communicate with Vas right now, because i'm at work and my private email account doesn't work here. (But surfin' the web does :wink: )

Best regards,
Lukas
It is not for me to ask Vas. I think it will be sad after all this preparation if = hardware is available that it is not used, as this has always been the plan for this tournament.

Best Wishes,

Harvey
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Hi Harvey,

i agreed with Vas that i shall also use a 2x X5355 instead of a 2x X5365 to make things absolutely fair.
Could you tell me some details about your machine?

chipset?
number of memory channels populated?
total amount of memory?

Best regards,
Lukas
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Lukas wrote:Hi Harvey,

i agreed with Vas that i shall also use a 2x X5355 instead of a 2x X5365 to make things absolutely fair.
Could you tell me some details about your machine?

chipset?
number of memory channels populated?
total amount of memory?

Best regards,
Lukas
Hi,

So Vas now agrees to this and the 1st I know about it is here. i know its not your fault but I am becoming annoyed that it was ever contemplated playing the match in 1 location could ever be fair.

I dont know any more than it is 5355 with 8x512 ram.

I really think for fairness that the machines cant be at the same location.

Best Wishes,

Harvey
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Thanks for the information. It tells me, your computer has either a S5000P or S5000X chipset (both are good, my computer has a S5000X) and it tells me, that all 4 memory channels are populated, which is important for performance.

Will you broadcast the event on chessbase?

Best regards,
Lukas