Playchess Engine Room.

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.

Would you like a 2nd engine room for non-Rybka engines?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:13 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 69

Dylan Sharp

Post by Dylan Sharp »

PortCitySlim wrote:Reminds me of the seen in "Tombstone" where Doc Holiday and Johny Ringo go at it in Latin while everyone else stands around wondering what the hell they just said :!:
Here's a translation :P
Fernando wrote:Don't discuss this [censored] and tell me already if you got my book or not. I sent it a month ago or more.
Fernando
Enir wrote:Man, and I thought I was being eloquent.

The book hasn't arrived yet, but thanks. I'll let you know my opinion about it as soon as it arrives.

Enrique
fallstalk

gimme ur best

Post by fallstalk »

non of this really matters as I plan on being top dog of both rooms... 8)
miguel

I vote NO

Post by miguel »

I don't think this is necessary. People can load any engine their and play against how they whant. I play with all my engines and i don't have any necessity of a no-rybka room
Best regard's and sorry for the bad english
Miguel Pires
seemychess

Post by seemychess »

i would also like to see a non rybka room. it will be a room of friends and people who like to test engines out. i like to try different engines just for fun.
ZZiplex

Post by ZZiplex »

Once again I vote for YES. How many players like to lose again and again from Rybka at very fast and expensive (over clocked!!) octa's?? In the non-rybka room maybe we can play chess without very expensive hardware. Maybe only 1 thread and duo core should be allowed in this non rybka room?
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Hi, Human nature being what it is what about the spoofing of names that might happen in this new non Rybka room

Regards
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

The Wizard wrote:Hi, Human nature being what it is what about the spoofing of names that might happen in this new non Rybka room

Regards
I think spoofing of names can be dealt with. Do people really want to risk being guested and losing their serial number? But i think policing who is using only 1 core is more of a problem. I do not think a restricted core room is practical.
Enir

Post by Enir »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
The Wizard wrote:Hi, Human nature being what it is what about the spoofing of names that might happen in this new non Rybka room

Regards
I think spoofing of names can be dealt with. Do people really want to risk being guested and losing their serial number? But i think policing who is using only 1 core is more of a problem. I do not think a restricted core room is practical.
A room without Elo might be practical. No exclusions of any engine. Elo hunters would stay away, of course. Very fast machines would stay away too, I guess. And people interested in computer chess as opposed to schizoid ego trips might feel attracted to such a room.

Just an idea.

Enrique
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Enir wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

Regards
A room without Elo might be practical. No exclusions of any engine. Elo hunters would stay away, of course. Very fast machines would stay away too, I guess. And people interested in computer chess as opposed to schizoid ego trips might feel attracted to such a room.

Just an idea.

Enrique
I think you are suggesting an engine room Cafe!? Similar to the Cafe that exists now on the server for Human players but this one would be no guests.
Enir

Post by Enir »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Enir wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

Regards

Just an idea.

Enrique
I think you are suggesting an engine room Cafe!? Similar to the Cafe that exists now on the server for Human players but this one would be no guests.
And open to everyone. Just no rated games at all.

Enrique
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

What do people think if the room is created should it be rated or unrated?
Hoshad

Post by Hoshad »

well, my vote goes for a rated room... and, as I wrote before, it will be just better if the server has rybka rating and non-rybka rating for all engine players...this way you have a more fun and better control over your games with different engines, and you know which player is the best elo hunter; not that I am an elo lover, but I believe that elo and the passion for a higher elo adds quality and precision to the games, and book lines...
Mark Mason

Post by Mark Mason »

definitely rated please !
Jen&Me

Separate room for non-rybkas

Post by Jen&Me »

yes
Jen&Me

Rybka room

Post by Jen&Me »

In as much as Rybka came later than most engines, make a new room for rybka instead of making a non rybka room. current engine chess shall be kept as it is before rybka came, so there's no point in creating a new non-rybka room as it is already existing before rybka came.