Is free Rybka 2.2 a killer for professionnal competitors ?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
1vfr899

Is free Rybka 2.2 a killer for professionnal competitors ?

Post by 1vfr899 »

Hello to everybody,

I'm interested with Hiarcs as I own a Zire 72 with Hiarcs 9.7 and I can say I read your posts with interest for fews months.

So my question :

Do you think chess commercial programs (and their programmers in consequence) like Hiarcs, Shredder, ... are in danger because of the release of a free of charge Rybka 2.2 version ? Is is fair ?

What consequences do you expect for the (little) health of computer chess market ?
Krazyken

Post by Krazyken »

Well, for some it's a bit like Pokemon, you've gotta collect them all. For others, it's only the strongest that matters. It depends on what you want from a chess program. Will free programs kill commercial chess? That is a good question.

The short answer is no. There are plenty of other markets where free software competes with commercial software, and people still pay for software.
1vfr899

Post by 1vfr899 »

Yes but some people may be ok with a Rybka 2.2 freeware witch is stronger then any other commercials, so no need for them to buy chess software anymore for them...

Actually, releasing a FREE sofware can be a very agressive COMMERCIAL act.
Krazyken

Post by Krazyken »

If strength is all that matters to you, then you'll be buying Rybka 3, and not be satisfied with Rybka 2.2.

My experience has shown Hiarcs 12.1 to be better than Rybka 2.2. Another limitation in Rybka 2.2 is that it is not available for all computers. Yes, some people are OK with free Rybka, emphasis on SOME. For me, it isn't good enough.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Only the single processor version is free. So there are some engines like Hiarcs 12 mp and Zappa Mexico 64 that are stronger.

Regards,
Lukas
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Rybka free engine, strong as it is, is a killer FOR BARE engines.
I have been here and elsewhere telling this almost to exhaustion: strenght is not anymore the thing and if it is, then the programemr that stick to that belief are really busted.
But of course if someone present to you a funny, rich in features -like Cmaster series of Fritz series- program, you can bet it will keep his customers and perhaps it will get even more.
There is lot of room to do in the GUI, frills, etc area, but not so much in pure chess force.

my best
Fern
Festina Lente
Vempele

Post by Vempele »

Lukas wrote:Only the single processor version is free.
Incorrect. The sp version is not free, only the mp one is.
mclane

Post by mclane »

i have the free version in my tournament where all others participate and also rybka 3.

it will soon be finished and you will see.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Vempele wrote:
Lukas wrote:Only the single processor version is free.
Incorrect. The sp version is not free, only the mp one is.
The mp version can be set to 1 thread though.
1vfr899

Post by 1vfr899 »

Krazyken wrote:If strength is all that matters to you, then you'll be buying Rybka 3, and not be satisfied with Rybka 2.2.

My experience has shown Hiarcs 12.1 to be better than Rybka 2.2. Another limitation in Rybka 2.2 is that it is not available for all computers. Yes, some people are OK with free Rybka, emphasis on SOME. For me, it isn't good enough.
I hope it will be true for a lot of people.

Let continuing to buy commercial engines to perpetuate the diversity of the chess softwares specie. :)
Peter Grayson

Re: Is free Rybka 2.2 a killer for professionnal competitors

Post by Peter Grayson »

1vfr899 wrote:
So my question :

Do you think chess commercial programs (and their programmers in consequence) like Hiarcs, Shredder, ... are in danger because of the release of a free of charge Rybka 2.2 version ? Is is fair ?

What consequences do you expect for the (little) health of computer chess market ?
One benefit may be that it becomes easier to identify the areas of engine deficiency when a particular engine such as Rybka 3 leap frogs ahead of the others. Where differences are marginal it can make the way forward very clouded.

There is always likely to be demand for diversity in playing styles and GUI features but whether all existing commercial independants will be viable in the future remains to be seen. There could be some joint ventures perhaps? Rybka already seems to have benefitted from a development team structure with clearly defined roles. Maybe that is the way forward?

PeterG
bnemais

Post by bnemais »

1vfr899 wrote:Do you think chess commercial programs (and their programmers in consequence) like Hiarcs, Shredder, ... are in danger because of the release of a free of charge Rybka 2.2 version ?
It's hard to say. The only data point I can provide is myself. I haven't bought Rybka 3, yet I bought Hiarcs 12. (still would if I hadn't already)
1vfr899 wrote:Is is fair ?
I think it's fair.
1vfr899 wrote:What consequences do you expect for the (little) health of computer chess market ?
I'm not sure what you mean by "little" here. I think when someone asks me what to get for analysis of their own games, I'll be recommending they get the free Rybka 2.2 version whenever they express interest in a free engine.

But who knows, maybe this will just cause several commercial engines to make one or more earlier versions of their engines free. If Hiarcs 10 or 11 became free, for example, then I'd be recommending that, since I like Hiarcs. If that happens, it may cause an explosion in computer chess interest, generating sales for all commercial engines, and GUI programs. I doubt it, but anything's possible.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

1vfr899 wrote: Do you think chess commercial programs (and their programmers in consequence) ......... are in danger because of the release of a free of charge Rybka 2.2 version ?
Judging from the reaction of some in other forums, I'd say that there are a lot of pissed off programmers.

However, those who aren't quitters will strive that little bit harder to better their engines.
Hopefully there are more triers than quitters! :wink:
m0nkee1

Hi

Post by m0nkee1 »

It does sound rather aggressive to release a free computer programm
stronger then all the rivals.

Although the Box for Rybka 3 ' Aquarium' looks like it was drawn by an
8 year old. I imagine fish in my game. so I don't think they are that commercially aware!

I care more about playing style then brute strengh. I would still
pay £100 for a Spark, some of the games listed by steve b for that are marvelous. Even if it's not the strongest.
m0nkee1

Post by m0nkee1 »

I want a computer that plays like Blackburne.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1029000

This is why chess is beautiful!

I think above 2500 elo they are just amorphous number crunchers.

In this game Rybka beats 'The King' in a truly boring fashion
All the flare is with the other programme. But it looses.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1411222