Where do you plan on viewing the games?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.

Playchess
88%
ICC
No votes
FICS
No votes
Chess Assistant Club
No votes
Foidos
13%
Infinity Chess
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 8

Ted Summers

Post by Ted Summers »

Okay, so tomorrow is the start of the World Championship Chess Games. Who do you think will be the first to spring their Novelty? Will it be Kramnik or Anand? Will it be early (Moves 1 -10), Middle (Moves 10-20), or Late (Moves 20-30) in the opening?

If you are tuning in, where do you plan on viewing the games?

Playchess
ICC
FICS
Chess Assistant Club
Foidos
Infinity Chess
Other
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience come from bad decisions."
Eelco de Groot

Re: Where do you plan on viewing the games?

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Ted Summers wrote:Okay, so tomorrow is the start of the World Championship Chess Games. Who do you think will be the first to spring their Novelty? Will it be Kramnik or Anand? Will it be early (Moves 1 -10), Middle (Moves 10-20), or Late (Moves 20-30) in the opening?

Playchess
ICC
FICS
Chess Assistant Club
Foidos
Infinity Chess
Other
What surprised me so far is that the teams of seconds for both sides are relatively small. No Loek van Wely for Kramnik, and relatively unknown players on Anand's side too, Magnus Carlsen did not join his team, at least not yet :) What could that mean? Not enough money for a big team?

Or maybe it means that both sides think the openings are not going to be all that important, relatively that is, because to beat Kramnik good positions from openings are just not enough for Anand, Kramnik tends wins his games more with a superior technique. Or maybe it means that skill with computers, among other things, has become more important for the seconds than high ratings alone. From the opening theory viewpoint, it will certainly be interesting to see if Anand and Kramnik will play some openinglines, with novelties or not, from recent computerchess practice!

Eelco
Careful! Even moonlit dewdrops,
If you’re lured to watch,
Are a wall before the truth.

- Sogyo (18th century)
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Game 1 will be broadcast on Playchess at 1500 server time tomorrow - more details here http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=4955
Ted Summers

Post by Ted Summers »

Eelco de Groot wrote:
Ted Summers wrote:Okay, so tomorrow is the start of the World Championship Chess Games. Who do you think will be the first to spring their Novelty? Will it be Kramnik or Anand? Will it be early (Moves 1 -10), Middle (Moves 10-20), or Late (Moves 20-30) in the opening?

Playchess
ICC
FICS
Chess Assistant Club
Foidos
Infinity Chess
Other
What surprised me so far is that the teams of seconds for both sides are relatively small. No Loek van Wely for Kramnik, and relatively unknown players on Anand's side too, Magnus Carlsen did not join his team, at least not yet :) What could that mean? Not enough money for a big team?

Or maybe it means that both sides think the openings are not going to be all that important, relatively that is, because to beat Kramnik good positions from openings are just not enough for Anand, Kramnik tends wins his games more with a superior technique. Or maybe it means that skill with computers, among other things, has become more important for the seconds than high ratings alone. From the opening theory viewpoint, it will certainly be interesting to see if Anand and Kramnik will play some openinglines, with novelties or not, from recent computerchess practice!

Eelco
Wow, I thought Magnus Carlsen was Anand's second. Now I guess the romur was not true. So much for what you hear in the "Fish Tank" forum ... :? Anyway I am sure they view the Opening as being important, since it will dictate the course of the games.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Harvey Williamson wrote:Game 1 will be broadcast on Playchess at 1500 server time tomorrow - more details here http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=4955
I have just been talking with CB and the Hiarcs team will provide an alternative broadcast with commentry by us and of course Hiarcs!
Ted Summers

Post by Ted Summers »

Harvey Williamson wrote:Game 1 will be broadcast on Playchess at 1500 server time tomorrow - more details here http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=4955
I think that is 9:00AM (New York) for those living in the United States on the east coast.
Ted Summers

Post by Ted Summers »

Eelco de Groot wrote: What surprised me so far is that the teams of seconds for both sides are relatively small.
Eelco
Anand:
Peter Heine Nielsen (Denmark), Rustam Kasimdzhanov (Uzbekistan), Radoslav Wojtaszek (Poland) and Surya Shekhar Ganguly (India).

Kramnik:]
Peter Leko (Hungary), Sergey Rublevskyi (Russia) and Laurent Fressinet (France).

Opening Press Conference (video) can be found here:

http://www.chessvibes.com/videos/anand- ... #more-3106
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

How many games are they going to play?
Are the games going to be 40 moves in 2 hours or what ever?
What happend if the match ends even?

no information regards
Ricardo
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

In their last 10 games six has been won by Kramnik so it is going to be a very close match.

WCC Regards
Ricardo
Ted Summers

Post by Ted Summers »

ricard60 wrote:How many games are they going to play?

no information regards
Ricardo
12 Games plus Tiebreaks and I believe Classical TC of 40/2

PortCitySlim

Post by PortCitySlim »

Ted Summers wrote:
ricard60 wrote:How many games are they going to play?

no information regards
Ricardo
12 Games plus Tiebreaks and I believe Classical TC of 40/2

Ted, do these games all start in the morning for us? I was hoping some of these games would begin in the middle of the night here in the US, if you could convert the start times to EST or Central time that would be awsome :D
Ted Summers

Post by Ted Summers »

PortCitySlim wrote:Ted, do these games all start in the morning for us? I was hoping some of these games would begin in the middle of the night here in the US, if you could convert the start times to EST or Central time that would be awsome :D
In the United States the time zones would be as follows:

Eastern> 9:00AM
Central> 8:00AM
Pacific> 6:00AM

I guess all game days have the same start time, un-sure about tie-breaks.
Ted Summers

Post by Ted Summers »

Kramnik draws the White pieces in game 1