Is there a PGN game limit in Chessbase 10?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
The Wizard

Is there a PGN game limit in Chessbase 10?

Post by The Wizard »

Hi,
I have been trying to copy my main database of 8.5 million games into a new PGN database but keep getting the error in the attached picture. Is there a limit to the number of games that a PGN database can hold in Chessbase 10

Regards

Vempele

Post by Vempele »

I'm guessing the error means it failed to save game #2480556. What happens if you try to convert only that game?
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Hi,
After exchanging emails with Lutz Nebe of Chessbase is seems PGN files in Chessbase can only be a maximum of 2GB in size, I did not realise the PGN file had grown to that size.

Regards
Kemuri

Post by Kemuri »

Cut it into chunks and convert it to .cbh

I know it will take a little time, but you will have a database that takes up much less hard-drive space afterwards...
I don't believe in intuition, but I've got a funny feeling that one day I will...
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Hi,
Actually it is already CBH I want to convert it to the native Aquarium format CDP via PGN as it might be quicker .... It will take approx 30 mins to go from CBH to PGN not sure how long from PGN to CDP ...

Although Aquarium can read CBH databases the search takes ages if you look for games in certain positions etc

Regards
Vempele

Post by Vempele »

Wouldn't it be much faster to just convert it directly to cdp?
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Hi,
Far from it :( .... I will make 4 or 5 PGN bases with the CBH games and add them one at a time to the CDP base

Regards