ICT 9 - Leiden 2009 - Hiarcs Wins!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Hiarcs is the 1st winner of the new Theo van der Storm trophy :)
Eelco de Groot

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Harvey Williamson wrote:Hiarcs is the 1st winner of the new Theo van der Storm trophy :)
Congratulations Harvey and Mark, with winning the first Theo van der Storm trophy! Will there be pictures? Was there mayonaise involved or was that only for the second and third place winners?

Gefeliciteerd!

P.S I hope that next year's tournament will not be smaller :( How about a separate Leiden prize next year for unlimited number of cores, clusters included? Because next year's top Nehalem EX SMP contenders could well be 4 x 8 = 32 cores... HIARCs could run on that, Junior could, Johan's program is SMP capable... Clusters will just be cheaper, but not more powerful than 32 cores with shared hash, and I don't see why they are so much less interesting commercially than a YoYoTech Chaturanga (8x3.2Ghz with Hypertreading) :) Where could one buy a YoYoTech Chaturanga?

Eelco
Soren Riis

Post by Soren Riis »

Congratulations!
IA

Post by IA »

Congratulations to the Hiarcs Team...

The Pictures

http://www.csvn.nl/index.php?option=com ... 4&catid=10

Regards ............. :D
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Eelco de Groot wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:Hiarcs is the 1st winner of the new Theo van der Storm trophy :)
Congratulations Harvey and Mark, with winning the first Theo van der Storm trophy! Will there be pictures? Was there mayonaise involved or was that only for the second and third place winners?

Gefeliciteerd!

P.S I hope that next year's tournament will not be smaller :( How about a separate Leiden prize next year for unlimited number of cores, clusters included? Because next year's top Nehalem EX SMP contenders could well be 4 x 8 = 32 cores... HIARCs could run on that, Junior could, Johan's program is SMP capable... Clusters will just be cheaper, but not more powerful than 32 cores with shared hash, and I don't see why they are so much less interesting commercially than a YoYoTech Chaturanga (8x3.2Ghz with Hypertreading) :) Where could one buy a YoYoTech Chaturanga?

Eelco
You can buy it from www.yoyotech.co.uk
JEB_Tucson

Post by JEB_Tucson »

Congratulations! :D

James
Eelco de Groot

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
You can buy it from www.yoyotech.co.uk
Nice machine Harvey! And you can operate HIARCS remotely with your Netbook PC? Is that HIARCS in ChessBase you are running and in case of something like a powerfailure at the remote location could you still reboot your PC?

Eelco
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

It is on a UPS at home in London - so would only be a problem if the power is off for a while. We have a back up Skulltrail in the States. Yes it runs in CB interface.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

You can play through all the games here http://www.hiarcs.com/Games/csvn2009/csvn2009.htm
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Harvey Williamson wrote:You can play through all the games here http://www.hiarcs.com/Games/csvn2009/csvn2009.htm
The tournament was a lot of fun this year. I had promised to bring some Heinz Salad Cream, British Helmans Mayonnaise and HP sauce for my Dutch friends to try. The problem was that I flew with just hand baggage. So they were all confiscated by the customs people.

I stayed with Hans, normally of the Rybka team. Hotel Hans was very pleasant and I highly recommend it. The staff all speak excellent English. A balcony and small Kitchen are available. There is free wifi and use of a massage chair. Free transport to and from Leiden was also part of the package.

Hans was seconded to the Joker team on Saturday as Harm was unable to attend. On Sunday he joined the Hiarcs team and as well as broadcasting the Hiarcs games allowed me to use his laptop for round 6 when mine was refusing to connect to the wifi.

I also had Dinner with Cock de Gorter on Saturday night at a fantastic Restaurant in a small Village just outside Leiden - it had a Michelin star!

My thanks to Mark and the rest of the Hiarcs team. Rob for doing just about anything needed to make it all happen(including being available with his mighty Skulltrail when we had problems with the Chataranga), Sebi for producing an opening book with his own unique smell and also Christian and Eric for their testing.
Last edited by Harvey Williamson on Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Last edited by Harvey Williamson on Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sebastian Boehme

Computer chess with a biblical touch

Post by Sebastian Boehme »

Hi guys,

Harvey asked me to host this somewhat funny photo.

The large computer belongs to Tzunami, the little Netbook of course to Hiarcs-Harvey.
Enjoy.

Regards,
Sebi
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Eelco de Groot wrote:
Congratulations Harvey and Mark, with winning the first Theo van der Storm trophy!
My congratulations to the Hiarcs team also. :)
NATIONAL12

Post by NATIONAL12 »

a belated congrats to the team also.