Hiarcs TB test - HD v Flash

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Shaun Brewer

Post by Shaun Brewer »

Hi Harvey,

never mind we just need someone with both raid and flash...

Shaun
AMD64inside

Post by AMD64inside »

Shaun Brewer wrote:Hi Harvey,

Shaun
Hi

I did test my system with 2 x 160Gb sata drives in stripped raid mode v my flash (same as Harveys Corsair GT) v single HDD.

I was amazed to see that raid made no improvement at all over a single HDD and both were way slower than my flash.

The test I carried out ended in me moving from Raid where I was growing my six man collection to large single drives. It seems random access times is the crucial factor and comparing my single drive or raid performance of around 13 - 16ms to my flash drive which has a random access time of 0.9ms this is confirmed.

I know Raid 0 using 2 sata drives is not the same as a 4 drive scsi setup but i think for 5 men even this would not be faster than the best flash drives.

6 men may be a different story as the data sizes are huge so the difference between scsi raid and HDD would be noticable, however if you could get for example 512Gb flash drives v scsi drives I am sure the flash would win.

I currently run with 71% of the six man bases on two HDD and the 5 men on the flash.

Just 29% to go Regards

Darrell
"The game itself is nothing, the playing of it is everything"
mackgra

Post by mackgra »

Hi all,

As it stands you can fit 12 of the six piece table bases and ALL five piece TBs and lower in about 42 GB of storage (see chessbase website for fritz endgame turbo 3).

I know what you are saying, but there are no SSD (solid state drives) that big!

Ahhhr but there is:

http://lhdigital.co.uk/product_info.php ... s_id=98751

Samsung produce 32GB and now 64GB flash drives that are primarily aimed at laptop uses or chess enthusiasts with deep pockets!

So unless you want the full set of 6 man TBs there really is no need (providing you have the funds) to have some TBs on the flash and some on a fast spinning HD.

Any one got £500 quid spare?

I'm going to win the lotto regards

Graham
Shaun Brewer

Post by Shaun Brewer »

AMD64inside wrote:

Shaun
Hi

I did test my system with 2 x 160Gb sata drives in stripped raid mode v my flash (same as Harveys Corsair GT) v single HDD.

I was amazed to see that raid made no improvement at all over a single HDD and both were way slower than my flash.

The test I carried out ended in me moving from Raid where I was growing my six man collection to large single drives. It seems random access times is the crucial factor and comparing my single drive or raid performance of around 13 - 16ms to my flash drive which has a random access time of 0.9ms this is confirmed.

I know Raid 0 using 2 sata drives is not the same as a 4 drive scsi setup but i think for 5 men even this would not be faster than the best flash drives.

6 men may be a different story as the data sizes are huge so the difference between scsi raid and HDD would be noticable, however if you could get for example 512Gb flash drives v scsi drives I am sure the flash would win.

I currently run with 71% of the six man bases on two HDD and the 5 men on the flash.

Just 29% to go Regards

Darrell
Hi Darrell,

thanks for the info - I would have put money on raid0 being significantly better than a single disk :shock:

Shaun
bob

Post by bob »

AMD64inside wrote:

Shaun
Hi

Just 29% to go Regards

Darrell
SATA is NFG for RAID. You need drives that can actually transfer data in parallel, which means SCSI. Not SATA. That's why I specifically mentioned SCSI... SATA is a _very_ poor second place finisher...
Shaun Brewer

Post by Shaun Brewer »

Hi Bob,

I don't believe SATA will outperform SCSI however a decent SATA something like the new Seagate 7200.11 with AHCI and NCQ should be reasonable.

Anyway I am gathering all results I can get hopefully we can get some answers...

If someone had fast SCSI raid and flash that would be fantastic!!!

For the 5men TB's I think flash would win regardless of fast SATA or SCSI... but I am not certain.

Shaun